Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
GTO@2

Friends: (0)
Default Need help choosing for a beginner

Hey all! When I was about 14 I used to go on this website a lot, all I could afford back then was the aero aces (are those still around??). But now I am at a point in my life where I can get back to what interests me, and with a little bit of a bigger budget.

I am a beginner at flying anything over the aero aces, and I haven't even flown one of those since they came out. I'm looking to get back into the hobby a little bit, and have it down between two planes-the Parkzone Micro Cub and the regular PZ J-3 Cub. Which, as a beginner, should I get? I am definitely going to get the J-3, but should I get the micro cub first? I am just very scared to get the J-3 and, being a complete beginner, crash it on my first or second flights.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Pleased to meet you
Both are fine aircraft
Larger aircraft are more stable ,can fly in higher winds and are easier to see at a distance
Smaller aircraft are twitchy and need calm weather conditions but the small size allows them to to fly in more venues backyard, indoors, ETC
With that said either one would be great for your needs so its your choice
Btw i still fly AH Bipes and jets
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
Dano57

I am a beginner too (played with gas about 10 to 12 years ago) and have the HobbyZone Supercub. Love it, I highly recommend it.

Dan
Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

I always say bigger is better ,iam going with hanks thoughts he hit the nail on the head, bigger planes are going to fly slower and not so twitchy . If you worry about crashing all the time you will not enjoy the learning part of this hobby . I just finished a plane that took me a year and two months to scratch build and i cant wait to test fly it . Yes it might crash the first flight but thats the difference between a airplane or a nick nack on a shelf. If it does crash you can fix it again and again. So get one and have fun flying it . joe
Old 06-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Rather than either of the J-3's you might want to take a look at the Hobby Zone Champ as your first. It's a little bigger than the ParkZone Ultra Micro J-3 and everyone who gets one loves it.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Friends: (7)

If you go ultra-micro, get a Champ. But ... I agree that UMs are actually harder to fly. Everything happens much faster.

They also have less tolerance for wind.

HobbyZone Mini Super Cub is a good compromise size. The larger Super Cub is a good choice to. The Radian is a great plane, and easy to fly, but takes a lot of room to land.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

One thing about the Champ. It flies medium slow, it's twitchy as hades, but if flown over grass is nearly indestructible. If you can fly the Champ you're ready to move up.

Now the bigger 3 channel planes will be much smoother to fly, but they might not develop those instantaneous motor reflexes that the micros beat to death. And they are much less crash resistant, while being probably easier to fix.

You will definitely be able to fly the larger plane in a wider range of weather conditions. That might be offset if your flying field is a distance away and just stepping out your door and tossing the Champ into the air gets you more stick time.

You really can't make a mistake. You'll have a micro and you'll have a larger plane sometime anyway. The only question is which one do you do first. If you buy one and find you made a mistake, just buy the other. You'll love flying them both anyway.

In my situation, I bought the UM T-28 when I had a flyaway on my Parkzone Radian. Then while planning the Radian rebuild I was cautioned about some of the components I wanted to use that they might not be reliable. That changed my battle plan to building a Slow Stick. Now the Slow Stick is dominating my stick time because it's just so much fun to fly! You never know until you actually do it and all the advice in the world won't tell you when you'll start to have fun. When you do, that plane will be your first favorite!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

I'll throw my vote in for the Hobbyzone Super Cub. I learned to fly on it all by myself. It's a piece of cake to fly! Just make sure its trimmed out nice and she will practically do the rest. Also, the Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby is a nice airplane for a beginner. It is 4 channel as opposed to 3.

Once I became really comfortable with my Super Cub, I upgraded it to a 4 channel with flaperons and a brushless motor. It is a BLAST now! Really fast, too! This plane has endured some hard crashes (I prefer to call them "forceful" landings) and is really easy to repair. I haven't had to replace any components except for the cowl and prop. Its pretty much a beast.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Default Like anyone would be surprised

I am a beginner as well. My vote which no one would be surprised about is the Hobby Zone Super Cub. It is my first plane so obviously it is my favorite. As many folks her know I have smashed it, crashed it, lost it and in fact waranteed it. It is relatively inexpensive to repair it and a confidence booster and since you have been out of the hobby for some time but not a complete Newbie like myself. I think it would b a plane that you would instantly have success with and all the skills you had in the past will come back. Just my 2 cents. Oh buy the way I have always believed in the saying "not if I crash but when I crash"
Cyaz
Fishbonez

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Another advantage of most UMs and the Mini Super Cub is that you can get into one for around $100.

If you need one, here's another great starter plane. Medium sized, gentle handling, prop and motor out of the way of most crashes, cheap, and easy to mod once you've outgrown the stock setup.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/new4chdyhask.html

Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
Aaeolien

I love the Champ. My father has one and he loves it as well. My first that I purchased was a UM T-28, but i had flown my father's champ a whole bunch before i bought it and was ready to move to 4ch. Yes its light and yes the wind will toss it around all over the place but it really is a blast to fly and you can fly it just about anywhere. Nothing like poking your head out the window just before dark going "its calm lets fly" and not having to go anywhere. LOL

Chris

Admitted Crack Pitts Addict
Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #12
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

If you have *no* wind, then the Vapor is the sweetest, easiest plane there is to fly.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

The Vapor got me flying again after 25 years of inactivity! It is a blast to fly even after using it to teach you not to crash. However the plastic joiner pieces are just too fragile. Yes you can fix 'em and be flying in five minutes (most of that time spend finding the CA) but it is a somewhat fragile plane compared to the even less expensive Champ.

I reluctantly (because I love the plane) have to classify the Vapor as a special interest plane. It is just an amazing flier. I walk mine around the block like a dog on a leash. It's more obedient than my dog and doesn't defecate in anybody's yard.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners