Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Bobmic
Bobmic

Friends: (0)
Default Mini Ultra Stick Questions

I recently bought a Mini Ultra Stick and since this my first plane after a very long absence from the hobby I have a few questions:
1. I changed the stock wheels to 3inch foam wheels to allow taking off from a soccer field but landing is a different issue. I have the remote setup for flaperons and I come in as slow as possible but the plane will usually flip after a couple of feet unless there is a bit of wind or if I am really lucky and the patch I am landing on has extremely short grass.
Is there any solution to this? I land with zero power and about %80 flaps, on the ground I try to pull full up but it does not do anything.
2. I am considering adding the quad flaps with the hope that it will slow the plane significantly at landing and thus maybe eliminating flipping over but am not sure if it will make a big difference.
3. With the quad flaps do I loose significant ailerons performance (as I will be using only the outside portion for ailerons?
4. The plane is an E-Flight PNP version equipped with a 10x7e APC prop, BL450 motor and a 22A (EFLA7310) speed controller - The speed controller manual states that I will need a separate battery pack for the receiver if I add the two additional servos, I have a Futaba NiCad pack and switch but it seems like I will have to add a significant amount of weight to the plane, are there any other solution for the quad setup and does it worth adding weight and shortening the ailerons?

Thank you
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Hi Bobmic, first of all, WELCOME to WattFlyer! It's always great to see new faces.

I am a prkflyer and I know exactly what you are talking about.

The key is to plant your tail as soon as you can. The best way for me to do that is land with a little bit of throttle. The amount will change from plane to plane and sometimes it's as little as 3 or 4 clicks up from zero.

You want to get propwash moving over your elevator control surface. So when you give up elevator at the crucial moment, there is air moving over the surface to push it down.

Of course its a fine balance point. You don't want too much throttle or you'll begin to gain speed again.

Short Answer: Just a bit of throttle will help your elevator stay down and prevent nose-overs.

I've never had quad flaps so I can't help you there.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

That plane is clean and therefore it is hard to slow it down. Not much hanging out
to create any drag. It's tough to land a light, fast taildragger on grass.

Keep practicing and get used to the slow speed handeling of the plane so you don't
stall it out. Ideally, you want to touch down with just enough speed to maintain
control.

If you have to land on grass, you might want to consider getting a plane with tri-cycle
gear for your next plane. They have loads more control on grass and much easier to
take off and land.

Welcome to the forums.......hope to see ya a lot!!!

jr

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Big wheels, light, small airplane, grass... Hard to keep that tail down.

John has the right idea though, find the right point and keep the elevator up with some air prop wash over it. Your best bet would be to find a nice bare spot, or baseball infield dirt or something like that.

and Welcome to Wattflyer!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Which RX do you have Bobmic? I have my MUS set up for quad flaps, slaved to the throttle (just about stops in mid air). If it's an AR7000/9303, I can send you the setup.

x2 on the land with some power. The MUS likes to be flown into land, doesn't do well as a flopppenundstoppen

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Bobmic
Bobmic

Hi Guys,

Thank for the great replies, I used to fly Gas Heli's up to about 6 years ago and did not touch anything up until now so this is really plane and had flown it only for a couple of days. I will try the throttle on landing next time I go as noticed that at the final stage while on the ground the up elevator had no effect.
Old Fart - I have an old Futaba 8UHP PCM and I split the ailerons in two channels so added the flap option to a three position switch with about %35 and %85 - the question is how much of a movement you have at your %100 setting?
The main problem I encountered was on a clam day with no wind as when I had a bit of a wind I could slow the plane down quite a bit before touch down..the only problem was that I would land straight but had to go and bring it back cause only the plane would roll from stand still only in the of the field.

BB
Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #7
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

4. The plane is an E-Flight PNP version equipped with a 10x7e APC prop, BL450 motor and a 22A (EFLA7310) speed controller - The speed controller manual states that I will need a separate battery pack for the receiver if I add the two additional servos, I have a Futaba NiCad pack and switch but it seems like I will have to add a significant amount of weight to the plane, are there any other solution for the quad setup and does it worth adding weight and shortening the ailerons?

I would look at using a UBEC to take care of this rather than adding a separate receiver pack. A separate pack will work but as you said will add a lot of weight. Take a look at the link below:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-5-Amp/Detail
Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Bobmic, I'll have to check and see what my flap travel is. I also use the 3 position switch (with delay ). I have mine set up as a "classic" Ultrastick, quad flaps, flap/aileron full span, etc. Was a PITA to program - but fun to fly. Might build a 50cc gas version this summer if I find the time.

x2 on the UBEC. 6 HS55's draw more than you'd think.

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 07-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Bobmic
Bobmic

OK - So flew a bit over the weekend and had Zero flips - thank you for the suggestions, landing with a bit of power was the trick.
I did not even bother with the flaps.
The only "problem" I have is when it is Zero wind - the plane comes a bit fast and I tried to stop it with a bit of power and elevator up but I ended up tearing my landing gear about 5 times (good that I am using nylon screws to hold it - 5 min repair and 30 cents later I was back in the air).
When I stopped trying to stall it I could land easily just had to begin my approach a bit farther away.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Mikeee

What size nylon screws are you using for the landing gear ?
Are you also using them for the wing bolts, if you are what size are you using ?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

This thread is over a year old. Not sure if there will be any response from the op.

I drilled my lg out a bit and used a size up from 440 screws. I think it was a 5/32"? Just go to a hardware store, find a bit larger blind nut and nylon screw.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #12
Bobmic
Bobmic

Yes the screws were 4-40 about 1/2" length (the length is not so important)
Keep in mind that these screws will break as they are not very strong so buy quite a few. it will take 2 min to replace and you will never damage the fuse.
For the wings you should keep the metal ones.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

Where do you find nylon screws that size. All I can find are wing hold down screws?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)

You lucky lot!
Here in the UK the EFlite MUS is no longer available .
I've looked everywhere for some old stock but there's nothing to be found.
I have the Eflite Mini Pulse XT and love it!
Any suggestions for something similar in size and design?

EFlight Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, MS Composit Swift II PZ Ember, Multiplex Fox Conversion, Air Rider Epower, Mini Mach racer, Seagull Pilatus PC9 Roulette

Growing old is inevitable but growing UP is optional!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #15
Bobmic
Bobmic

If you want to stay in the same size as the mini pulse try the mini FuntanX. Its a really mice plane.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers