Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
C_Watkins

Friends: (1)
Default Getting back into RC. Electric ARF recommendations?

Hey, cool site!
I know cross posting is frowned upon... but I did not SEE this forum until I'd made my post over on RCU. Mea Culpa.

Anyhow, after a several years long break, I'm getting the RC flying bug again. Badly.

I still have a bunch of older nitro planes, radios and engines, but am wanting to go with a quick fresh start to get back into it. I'm thinking electric, too.
I'll dig into my dungeon later, and get about the business of replacing batteries, powerplants and such, I suppose. Until then, I want something to FLY!

Anyone have any recommendations for a good electric ARF? Any good combos out there?
Here are the parameters I'm trying to work within, though they're not set in stone:

Budget: <=$750-ish, all in. Might push it to $1000 if it's just an incredible must-have deal. If I can't start E-flying for <$1k, I'll dig out my nitros.
Performance: Wing loading: moderate to somewhat high. No uber-floaty high-wings, but no flying bricks, either. At least modestly aerobatic. (3D not necessary, but needs to be 'snappy' No high-dihedral dogs) Wingspan: Not super critical, but something between 36" and 53" would be ideal. I don't want a parkflyer or a giant scale. Just a decent sized plane that will feel solid in a light wind, at least. Flight times 4+ mins minimum. 7+ is a bonus.
Style: Think Extra 300-ish. That would be ideal. However, would consider any sweet deals from Sportster-40-ish to Magic 3d-ish.

Any ideas along those guidelines would be greatly appreciated!

Please, nothing strictly beginner-ish. Have a solid working knowledge of ESC's, wiring, soldering, cells, recharging, etc from a previous life. (And from a couple electric-assist sailplanes, way long ago)
Old 07-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

OOOOOOO! You're in for it now. You're going to have a GREAT time with electric! Welcome and prepare to be addicted to the best way to fly RC!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

Welcome back CW.

Hard to suggest airplanes wthout more info, but you might look at some of the Parkzone or Nitroplanes warbirds.

Wolfe
Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
C_Watkins

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
OOOOOOO! You're in for it now. You're going to have a GREAT time with electric! Welcome and prepare to be addicted to the best way to fly RC!
Thanks!
Looking forward to getting back from the field and not having to Febreze my car to kill the smell

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Welcome back CW.

Hard to suggest airplanes wthout more info, but you might look at some of the Parkzone or Nitroplanes warbirds.

Wolfe
Hey, I'm an open book Which additional info would you like?

I looked up those two brands, and they look like some decent planes... for less money than I'd imagined.
I'm tempted to get one of those, to get my feet wet, but eventually, I'd like something other than foam, and weighing 3-5 lbs.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
av8djc
Old Fart

Club: Several
Awards Showcase

2kW 

A Parkzone T28 comes to mind. It is a foamy but it is a favorite of many, one of those they just plain got all of it right! It will do nice clean aerobatics so that even the real experienced fliers like to have it in their hangar.

You should consider converting one of your glow planes to electric. It's pretty easy to do. Here's one thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3297

Spend your money on parts, batteries, and chargers along with a few motors and ESC's and your fleet will be converted in no time. Yeah, there's a lot to learn but the answers are pretty much all here on WF.

Dave

Dave
AMA 494
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering "What the heck happened?"
Old 07-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

Welcome back CW.

Wolfe
Wolfe, I thought he gave almost too much info! Certainly seems to have a good idea what he wants, just not which one.

"A Parkzone T28 comes to mind. It is a foamy but it is a favorite of many, one of those they just plain got all of it right! It will do nice clean aerobatics so that even the real experienced fliers like to have it in their hangar."

av8djc, he doesn't want something that tame, me thinks. It is nowhere near the Extra or Sportster type he mentioned.

CW, welcome back. Some if not all of your fuel burners might be converted to electric. Got an old favorite? Convert it. Otherwise, there will be many ideas tossed your way. There are several that do well, cost is low and will give you an easy yet enjoyable return to RC flying. Mini Ultra Stick comes to mind. Does almost everything and is small enough to transport easily. Nice handling, and it is balsa so it is better in a breeze ..IMHO. I also have foam, yep easy to repair but I think they are far more twitchy in a breeze ..again IMHO. Sit back and see the ideas come your way. You are not REALLY new to this, sound like you know more than a little bit, so you'll get good response. GL
Old 07-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
Hey, cool site!
I know cross posting is frowned upon... but I did not SEE this forum until I'd made my post over on RCU. Mea Culpa.

Anyhow, after a several years long break, I'm getting the RC flying bug again. Badly.

I still have a bunch of older nitro planes, radios and engines, but am wanting to go with a quick fresh start to get back into it. I'm thinking electric, too.
I'll dig into my dungeon later, and get about the business of replacing batteries, powerplants and such, I suppose. Until then, I want something to FLY!

Anyone have any recommendations for a good electric ARF? Any good combos out there?
Here are the parameters I'm trying to work within, though they're not set in stone:

Budget: <=$750-ish, all in. Might push it to $1000 if it's just an incredible must-have deal. If I can't start E-flying for <$1k, I'll dig out my nitros.
Performance: Wing loading: moderate to somewhat high. No uber-floaty high-wings, but no flying bricks, either. At least modestly aerobatic. (3D not necessary, but needs to be 'snappy' No high-dihedral dogs) Wingspan: Not super critical, but something between 36" and 53" would be ideal. I don't want a parkflyer or a giant scale. Just a decent sized plane that will feel solid in a light wind, at least. Flight times 4+ mins minimum. 7+ is a bonus.
Style: Think Extra 300-ish. That would be ideal. However, would consider any sweet deals from Sportster-40-ish to Magic 3d-ish.

Please, nothing strictly beginner-ish. Have a solid working knowledge of ESC's, wiring, soldering, cells, recharging, etc from a previous life. (And from a couple electric-assist sailplanes, way long ago)
If you're talking about $750 or so, that would buy a model much larger than a "Park Flyer" type. More likely something with a 500 or 600 watt power system.

For models of this type, take a look:
Thread on 70 size glow engine conversion to electric
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45222

There are a LOT of people in this website that have gone through what you want to do. Be sure to ask a LOT of questions, they will get answered in www.wattflyer.com If you go for Lipo rather than A123 batteries, you can likely shave off maybe 1/2 pound of weight in the batteries. But since most Lipos require a minumum one hour charge time, you might need two Lipos, as "fly one while charging the other one".

Take a look: This Showtime 50 is a fast assembling type of model that is very acrobatic with the proper power system.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CD0Q8wIwAg#

My Showtime 50 has a $120 motor, ESC (Electronic Speed Control) $120 battery 6S2P A123 battery (6 Series, 2 Parallel), $25 uBEC (Switching power supply Battery Elimination Circuit). Add to that the cost of the model, radio, battery charger, and a deep cycle battery to run the battery charger.

If you're serious about electrics, check into a quality charger such as the Cellpro 10S or powerlab 8. Expensive, but you'll never need a better unit.

As for power, My Showtime 50 has a Hacker A50-16S motor, 16X12 APC-E prop, 7S2P A123 cells, 60 Amp Castle Creations ESC, 10 Amp Castle Creations uBEC. That power setup turns the 16X12 prop at about 6700 RPM. That 8.5 pound model will take off and fly straight up at a good clip until it is out of sight. And with the A123 cells, it gives 7.5 minute flights with a 2 minute reserve. It will easily do vertical figure "8"s. The motor is running at a little over 1100 watts, or about 1 1/2 horsepower. I've flown it many times when the club anemometer showed winds of 15 MPH.

And, it far outperforms a fellow club members Showtime 90 model with a four stroke 120 glow engine.

What you will quickly find out about these electrics, they are no longer underpowered as compared to a glow powered model. And, you can take them off the field, put them into your vehicle immediately without worrying about oil or fuel getting on your vehicles carpet! And, your model has no vibration issues, no fuel soaking issues. I had to recover one of my models built in 2003 after over 1300 flights. Seems sunlight screwed up the Monokote, making it as strong as a cheap piece of cellophane used for chips. Recovering was a snap, once the Monokote was removed, the model looked like it did after I scratch built it in 2003.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Several great choices:

All are a nice size not expensive and they fly wonderfully. All need a club field and experience to fly (sounds like you have that). They are all aerobatic and fly very well.

Don't dismiss the parkfliers. The T-28 can be mild to wild and is one of the best planes I have flown in the 33+ years in the game. It ROCKS and again has an extremely broad flight range.

Horizon has some of the best stuff in the business right now.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/

Mike
Old 07-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
wolfewinde

Heya CW,

Lots of good suggestions here.

I guess the first decision you need to make is whether or not you are going to upgrade to the 2.4 technology. If so, you will need to set aside 150 - 300 for a new radio.

Second thing is batteries. I have had good luck with the G-Force line from Value Hobbies. 2200 Mah 3 cells are a good choice for models in the size range you mentioned. So maybe 100 for bateries plus another 100 for a charger if you don't have one.

So lets say batteries and chargers and radio come to 350 or so. That leaves you 400 for airplanes which is enough to get a couple of planes

The Parkzone T-28 Trojan is a very good one - I am using that to retrain my thumbs after a long layoff like you had. Replacement parts seem to be pretty available for semi-reasonable prices. It will fly well on the 2200 mah batteries.

The PZ Corsair is another possibilty, although I think the Trojan is better quality. I just finished the build on my Corsair - hoping to maiden it in the next couple of days

The Great Planes Sportster EP is another very good airplane from what I hear. That one is balsa. A friend of mine has that one and is very happy with it. I have the Sporster Rx-R EP and really like it - it is a bit smaller than the reg Sportster and it is foam, but comes for about 129 just needing a reciever. 40" wingspan.

If you want something more aggressive, check value hobbies. they have some balsa planes for under 100 that look very good.

Let us know what you go with.

Wolfe
Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
TopSpin

The Eflite Pulse .25 is a really good flying airframe and is very well built.

Don't be lulled buy the cheap Chinese stuff on the web, they are poorly made and a lot have balance issues that can't be fixed without rebuilding the thing.

Stay with Horizon or Tower and you can't loose.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
C_Watkins

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
CW, welcome back. Some if not all of your fuel burners might be converted to electric. Got an old favorite? Convert it. Otherwise, there will be many ideas tossed your way. There are several that do well, cost is low and will give you an easy yet enjoyable return to RC flying. Mini Ultra Stick comes to mind.
Yes, I have a 60-sized Extra 300-S with an OS .91 4-stroke on it, and a "built, but never powered and flown" Super Sportster 20.
Certainly a thought, for either of them. (And both will happen, eventually, but not sure about right now)
Thought about a stick, too... hard to beat all that simplicity, and they're solid, fun flyers

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Take a look: This Showtime 50 is a fast assembling type of model that is very acrobatic with the proper power system.
Now that's a nice bird.
Still, going that route, converting a glow plane, I may as well convert my Extra 300-S.
(It only has 30 or so flights, and isn't fuel-soaked anywhere, yet)
Nice thought though. Thanks for the specs on your power system.
Definitely taking notes for when I decide on one that size

Heya CW,
The Parkzone T-28 Trojan is a very good one - I am using that to retrain my thumbs after a long layoff like you had. Replacement parts seem to be pretty available for semi-reasonable prices. It will fly well on the 2200 mah batteries.
The Great Planes Sportster EP is another very good airplane from what I hear. That one is balsa.
I'm not completely discounting the foamies, and I'm sure I'll end up with a couple, here and there
I'm just looking for something a bit different right this sec.
Funny you mentioned the GP Sportster EP. I just saw one of those at the field yesterday evening
Looked an awful lot like my un-flown .20 that's gathering dust in the basement. Always good flying planes.

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Yeah, I've been looking at both, a lot. A couple of the E-flites looks nice.

I keep running into this issue where I'll get all excited about a plane, and it's "out of stock" though
Either that, or the plane is in stock, but something else I need isn't.

I'm making a short list, though.

For now, the only 'foam' plane I'm really looking at is the Carbon-Z Yak 54.
That one looks very sweet, if I can't find a balsa one "IN STOCK" that suits me, very soon

Thanks, all... for giving me some nice directions to look into!

--
Chris
Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
wolfewinde

A good friend of mine flies that Carbon Z - it flys very well and he really likes it

Wolfe
Old 07-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

In UK - the answer is easy :

WOT 4 electric ..... high-wing stunt machine that just about pushes the envelope as far as you can go .... slow docile but open her up and she's WILD !!

Dunno if it's available in USA ? Of course the IC engine version is the best ... designed for a 40 IC but many like me fitted 60's .....

Welcome back .... I've just done what you are doing now !!

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
C_Watkins

Default Pulled the trigger. Couldn't help myself.

There's a reason I avoid Vegas, Home Depot, Microcenter, and... hobby stores.
I'm prone to certain... impulses, I guess you might say.

So, yeah... a little over a grand later, I'm practically "ready" to fly "something" again,

I ended up going with:

Spektrum DX7 w/AR6100 rcvr and 3 DS285 servos. Debated waiting on the Dx7s but too impatient.
Almost went with a Dx6i "for now" but between its AA batteries, and the added features of the old
DX7 sitting there... and I just couldn't make myself do it. I will be happy with this radio.

Passport "Ultrapower" charger. Thought about the FMA. Same general price. Couldn't wait.
May regret that one, later, but 'for now' I have something to get me going.

ParkZone T-28. After seeing it pop up 2-3 times here and there, and having it be the first
words out of the guy's mouth at the hobby store... Ok, ok I give up. Gimme one.

Blade 450 3D eggbeater Where the heck did THAT come from? Um... I dunno?
(It followed me home. That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!)

Toss in an extra 2100mAh pack here, a couple extra props, there, some "foam safe"
CA, and I had to get the heck out of there before I went really crazy.

Now my debate is whether to order this combo: Great Planes Extra 300SP w/motor and ESC
or to take some notes from kyleservicetech up there and convert my old nitro Extra 300s.
(If I can still find a new cowl for it)

I think I'll enjoy what I already have, for the moment.
BUT... I know I will have the bug for something bigger/heavier within a few weeks.

Thanks all, for your suggestions. Got batteries to charge, radios to bind, etc
Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
av8djc
Old Fart

Club: Several
Awards Showcase

2kW 

Good start! You'll enjoy the T28. "BUT... I know I will have the bug for something bigger/heavier within a few weeks." I knew you would feel this way when I suggested it but you'll probably never sell it off either. Many experienced flyers like to keep them for relaxing fun flying.

Converting what you have is pretty easy especially with your experience. You can sell those four strokes off for more model money before they become dinosaurs which is happening real fast.

For the high quality planes look at 3D Hobby Shop and Extreme Flight. They're a little more money but then you get great designs and construction plus they come with a lot of upgrades like carbon gear etc.

Dave

Dave
AMA 494
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering "What the heck happened?"
Old 07-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
electromon

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post

Don't be lulled buy the cheap Chinese stuff on the web, they are poorly made and a lot have balance issues that can't be fixed without rebuilding the thing.

Probably most of the ARF models being sold these days are from China and many are very good. The exceptions are soon discovered and reported.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #17
smooth operator
night fighter ace

Friends: (0)

Hey, cool site!

dude, i am on the same boat as you. i haven't flown anything in 10 years and just got back into it and spent only a fraction of your projected budget. of course if i had that money, but i don't since i am a broke engineering student LOL, i would have gone all out and bought an 8-channel B-17 or something. years back i gave all my gas planes and gear to the local flying club that taught me how to fly so i pretty much have a fresh hangar again. i would suggest the parkzone series, i picked up the pz um mosquito because i wanted to start off with a small plane, and it was twin-engined!!!!!. anyway i've looked through a lot of posts in this forum and the PZ T-28 seems to be a winner of hearts and minds. i myself am planning to get the FW 190 ARF kit from hobby lobby or another BNF plane from ParkZone if i don't get another twin as my next aircraft. you'll probably end up spending $500 or so, $300 for the kit and $200 for gear. welcome back to flying, and have fun!

More propeller, mean MORE POWER!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #18
C_Watkins

Well, I made maiden flights of both new acquisitions today, at a local park.
Some maidens go better than others.

T-28D: Moves along quite faster than I thought it would. Nice flyer, once I got it all trimmed out.
(Especially once I realized it would cruise along happily at 1/2 throttle or less.)
Sluggish rolls, but for what it is, I was happy with it, overall. I can see having a lot of fun with it.
Heck, I've had hours of fun with Coroplast real estate signs. I'm not too terribly picky
I flew out two batteries with this thing, just getting used to flying again.

Blade 450 3D: This was supposed to be just hovering and trim.
I was doing OK with all that. A bit too twitchy. That can be adjusted.
Well, a bit of a gust and slow thumbs and I'm in an attitude I didn't like, so I juiced it up and flew out.
Forward flight was fast and solid. I made a few circuits. It flew very nicely around the field.
It was Way more responsive than my old Concept .30dx or Nexus .30, though.
Too responsive, for someone just beyond beginner stages, who hasn't flown in a few years, maybe.

As I'm flying it, I got to thinking of how many minutes I'd already spent on/near the ground, hovering, trimming.
I needed to bring it in, but I wanted to lower the rates first, as they're just too high for me.
(I'm sure my knees were knocking the whole time I was flying)

Elevator D/R: On. Aileron D/R: On. I've settled into an ~8 foot hover at this point, a few feet out.
Rudder D/R: On. OOPS! That would be the Throttle Hold, on a heli, you idjit. This was Not a good thing.

Now, if I'd kept calm, it may not have been all that bad a hit. But NOooo.
I panicked, and had just enough time to flip the hold, regain some head speed and get all out of shape as it impacted.

(Funny how the description of an impact takes 100 times longer to explain than the impact itself.)
Basically:
It hit almost perpendicular, on the end of the tail boom, which apparently absorbed most of the impact,
driving the boom to its maximum "inward" position in the body, immediately loosening the belt and
stopping the tail rotor. Maybe saved a few parts. It then rolled on its side, scuffed the mains, popped
a few linkages off, bent the flybar, stripped the main gear and one swash servo.
Oh well. $30-$40 repair. Servo is the worst part. I hate when that happens.

Hope your day went better
I guess, on the bright side, at least I got to go flyin' again!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

It happens to the best of us as well !!

This is probably unneeded but I'll post it in best intent ...

The 450 ... I would be very surprised if Feathering and Main Shafts are ok after such a crash. To test whether bent :

Feathering shaft : Take out main rotor blades and insert hex driver into one holder and turn the fixing screw inside. If shaft is bent - the blade holders will turn with end going up / down .... very simple and exact test.
Tip : Before fitting new shaft ... get a tap and run it through to clean up the threads ... many shafts have poorly cut threads and then it's difficult to get it truly tightened up ...

Main shaft : Take of main rotor blades and just carefully ease throttle open so motor starts to spin up ... I mean ease it on !! so motor only turns fairly slow ... watch the button on rotor head top ... is it spinning in same place or creating an arc showing shaft is bent ?

Onto Flybars ... bending back to straight is possible on this as temp. but for true fix - replace with straight new.

I buy my shafts and blades in multi packs of ebay ....

Sorry to fixed wingers on such a heli post ... but it is in answer to OP's ..

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
bbqflyer

Club: Black Sheep RC Club, Danville, IN
Friends: (7)

C Watkins, welcome, I just saw your posts on here. I too am a reborn fuel burner into electrics. As you've seen with your T-28 some of these foamies aren't too bad. In fact most of mine are foamies now, they fly good, resilient to some crashes and MUCH easier to fix when they aren't. You said you weren't dismissing foamies just wanted something different, then do what I did, take on a few EDF's!!! I have the Parkzone HABU and that is just an addictive jet to fly. Seriously give them a look.

That's not flying, that's just falling with style.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
C_Watkins

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
It happens to the best of us as well !!

This is probably unneeded but I'll post it in best intent ...

The 450 ... I would be very surprised if Feathering and Main Shafts are ok after such a crash. To test whether bent :

Feathering shaft : Take out main rotor blades and insert hex driver into one holder and turn the fixing screw inside. If shaft is bent - the blade holders will turn with end going up / down .... very simple and exact test.
Tip : Before fitting new shaft ... get a tap and run it through to clean up the threads ... many shafts have poorly cut threads and then it's difficult to get it truly tightened up ...

Main shaft : Take of main rotor blades and just carefully ease throttle open so motor starts to spin up ... I mean ease it on !! so motor only turns fairly slow ... watch the button on rotor head top ... is it spinning in same place or creating an arc showing shaft is bent ?

Onto Flybars ... bending back to straight is possible on this as temp. but for true fix - replace with straight new.

I buy my shafts and blades in multi packs of ebay ....

Sorry to fixed wingers on such a heli post ... but it is in answer to OP's ..
Hey, it looks like a "topic related to e-powered RC flying" to me
And Thanks, by the way!

I suspect you're right.
It's my first ever crash, so I was going to completely tear it down and go over it, anyhow.
I'd already figured on picking up a main shaft, but didn't even think about the feathering shaft.
(Had only scuffed tail blades, before. Dang habits. "Pull UP" lol )
But yeah, I would hate to get what I thought was 'everything' and find out that I need more parts later.

Thanks so much for the tips!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #22
C_Watkins

Originally Posted by bbqflyer View Post
You said you weren't dismissing foamies just wanted something different, then do what I did, take on a few EDF's!!! I have the Parkzone HABU and that is just an addictive jet to fly. Seriously give them a look.
Thanks!

I may check that out. I've been looking, already :
I have a link at home to one that has thrust vectoring, and a full flying tail, though.
It looks extremely sweet for the price. I'll look it up and add the name later.

OK, I found the one I was looking for. Banana Hobby's BlitzRCWorks F-16 BZ-16Pro EDF with Thrust Vectoring
Here's a demo vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COhjuLp0Z_w
Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #23
C_Watkins

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

Nice tip. And yup, it was bent.
Once I got it out, that was obvious, but that's a nice easy pre-test
Got very lucky on the main shaft. Straight and true.
$52 total repair, and I'll end up with a spare flybar, feathering shaft, and main gear afterwards.
Not too terribly bad.
I could probably do without the new $14 main blades... but I'll feel better if I fit new ones.
The wood is not split or cracked, but they have dings toward the inside from the blade grips, and the covering is split at the tips.
(I've seen worse flown... but I just don't trust 'em any more)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nice tip. And yup, it was bent.
Once I got it out, that was obvious, but that's a nice easy pre-test
Got very lucky on the main shaft. Straight and true.
$52 total repair, and I'll end up with a spare flybar, feathering shaft, and main gear afterwards.
Not too terribly bad.
I could probably do without the new $14 main blades... but I'll feel better if I fit new ones.
The wood is not split or cracked, but they have dings toward the inside from the blade grips, and the covering is split at the tips.
(I've seen worse flown... but I just don't trust 'em any more)
Honest answer ? Buy multi-packs of ebay ... yes cheapo chinese while learning.

10 main blades for about $15 - Glass fibre blades are fine.
10 main shafts for about $10
10 feathering shafts about $8
10 flybars about $8
10 Maingear wheels about $10

It's not the complete list ....... but a good start.

Once you are good flyer - then look at the more pricey quality stuff. You can save a mint this way and stay smiling. EG - a complete metal head and tail assembly is less than you paid out ..

Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #25
C_Watkins

Default Ok, I quit... for now...

...Buying planes, that is.
Been with the little woman for 15+ years, and I'd miss her if she left.

My re-entry fleet, until Christmas or so:

1) PZ T-28D BnF
2) Blade 450 3D BnF Eggbeater
3) PZ Extra 300 PnP
4) PA Ultimate AMR w/pro package (The others are new. This one is from 2009, but "gently used" it appears)

Plenty to keep me smiling

Thanks everyone, for helpful replies, and such!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions