Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)
Default Programming a mix - who wants to walk me thru it?

I have a DX6i and a DX7. I have successfully blundered my way through a mix or two but I never have any idea what I am doing. The "documentation" is all but worthless. Reading threads about programming mixes are discouraging as the 'explainers' always know what they are doing and never seem to explain why.

I'm not that dumb, really, but this stuff just breaks my head.

If someone could go really, really slow, I'd be ever so appreciative.

Let's say I want to set up a mix to give me a throttle kill switch on the DX7. Let's say I want to put it on the Aux2 switch, and have the switch mix in an offset of %-120 when I flip it to off.

I go to program mix 6. It says:

THRO -> THRO ON
__RATE: 0%
_______ 0%
__SW: ON
__OFFSET: 0

The first line, I read as Throttle to Throttle On. What the heck does it mean? How about the very first word, THRO? Clearly, that's the throttle, but what does it MEAN? The position of the throttle will be driving this mix? Something else?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I have a DX6i and a DX7. I have successfully blundered my way through a mix or two but I never have any idea what I am doing. The "documentation" is all but worthless. Reading threads about programming mixes are discouraging as the 'explainers' always know what they are doing and never seem to explain why.

Let's say I want to set up a mix to give me a throttle kill switch on the DX7. Let's say I want to put it on the Aux2 switch, and have the switch mix in an offset of %-120 when I flip it to off.

THRO -> THRO ON
_______ 0%

The first line, I read as Throttle to Throttle On. What the heck does it mean? How about the very first word, THRO? Clearly, that's the throttle, but what does it MEAN? The position of the throttle will be driving this mix? Something else?
Really good question. Many times I have thought the same thing. A thread that shows more in depth descriptions of different mixing processes would be very valuable to me.
But yes that is how I understand it(might be wrong), whatever position the throttle is at will be how it applys the mix, but I do not know how to get it on Aux2, mine is only L or R Lever or toggles on top....I just turned my dsx7 on and by default with throttle off it is at -12.0% on mine. Subscribed. Sorry not much help.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

This will be a really useful thread if it takes off?
As you so rightly say the programming manual for the 6i TX is more like a technical document than an average Joe read. Some basic comments on programming tips and tricks would be fantastic.
Very useful for people like me who are challenged by the DVD controller.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I was a computer programmer in a former life; I've done a video course on statistical analysis in Excel; I'm sure I can understand the concepts if I can just find someone to explain them to me, slowly, one time.

If I'm reading this right - and it's oh, so very possible that I'm not - then the only switches I can use to control mixes are MIX (also rudder dual rates) and FLAPS.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I was a computer programmer in a former life; I've done a video course on statistical analysis in Excel; I'm sure I can understand the concepts if I can just find someone to explain them to me, slowly, one time.

If I'm reading this right - and it's oh, so very possible that I'm not - then the only switches I can use to control mixes are MIX (also rudder dual rates) and FLAPS.
LOL I used to build computers up until 11 years ago, I remember when a Connor "250meg" Hard Drive was almost $800 and when cell phones were the size of a small briefcase....lol..IMVHO I think the only switches that can be used on THROTTLE CUT/OFF are the Left Lever and Right Lever. I understand these switches to be on very top of your tx directly to the left and right of the antenna all the way to the corners of your tx.

Like the only mix I have, I might say this wrong but here goes, I have flaps mixed with elevator, the flap mix switch is how I turn the mix on, and the upper right lever (3 position lever) off, 16down, and 24down gives me whether I want the mix off, or mix them 25% throw, or mix them at 35% throw. Might have to do a video showing if this is (correct or not), but this is how it works for me.
I did have a aileron/rudder mix, but I didnt like it so I turned it off. Someone else (more mixer savvy) P.P.P.P.PL.LEASE E.E.DIE explain this better than I can, and so I can further use mixes better.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have programmed two different 'kill switches' since I started this thread, one of which uses the AUX2 switch, but I'm still not entirely sure what the heck I'm doing or why they work (or don't work.)

Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I have programmed two different 'kill switches' since I started this thread, one of which uses the AUX2 switch, but I'm still not entirely sure what the heck I'm doing or why they work (or don't work.)

Cool, I figured I was wrong. But I couldn't get it to work. Nice to know that you can use aux2 as a kill switch. I just interpreted it wrong I guess.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

AUX2 -> THRO
RATE: -100% / 0%
SW: ON
OFFSET: -%100

I have no idea what RATE is doing, but it has to be set at -100 (the second RATE setting can't be changed for some reason...)

I'd like to set it up backwards, so that the switch in the UP position turns the motor on, and the DOWN position turns it off, but I can't get that to work, either.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

AUX2 -> THRO

I have no idea what RATE is doing, but it has to be set at -100 (the second RATE setting can't be changed for some reason...)

I'd like to set it up backwards, so that the switch in the UP position turns the motor on, and the DOWN position turns it off, but I can't get that to work, either.
Thanks mark. Just an idea on changing the switch so up position turns on, you could just take the tx case apart(maybe havent done it) and just turn it from the inside to where you want. I guess it might be glued in, but more often than not, it will have a threaded pole with a locking nut on the reverse side. Never took a tx apart, yet.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I don't feel that strongly about it!

Old 07-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I don't feel that strongly about it!

LOL
Old 07-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

THRO -> THRO ON
_______ 0%

I've not gone through a throttle mix, the Castle Creations ESC's take care of that. The CC ESC's are dead until you go to low throttle.

As for the mixes, done that with dual elevators, and dual flaps, (or done it with elevons). One thing to be aware of with the DX7 mixes, be sure to use mixes 5 and 6 for any servos that require trim adjustments on your transmitter. Mixes 1-4 do NOT move its associated mixed servo when the trim command us used to adjust elevator/aileron/rudder functions.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
I've not gone through a throttle mix, the Castle Creations ESC's take care of that. The CC ESC's are dead until you go to low throttle.
That doesn't help when you bump the stick with your gut.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

That doesn't help when you bump the stick with your gut.
LOL
Depends on the size of the gut, (I'm working on mine!) Whenever I carry both the transmitter and the airplane, I always hold the transmitter with the sticks away from me. Got to watch that though, putting the transmitter down could still hit the sticks.

Below is a direct quote from the Castle Creations ESC instructions:

"Turn your transmitter ON, and set the throttle stick to mid throttle"

"Connect the main power battery to the speed controller. The speed controller will remain disarmed and will not operate the motor until it sees zero throttle"

"When you are ready to fly, move the throttle stick to the lowest position on your transmitter."

"The Phoenix will beep the motor to indicate its armed."

The next time the throttle is advanced, the motor GOES.

IMHO, I'm not certain I'd do the above with a 3000 watt motor in my 12S2P A123 Extra 330 powered by a Hacker A60-16M motor though. That motor is frightning enough when the transmitter stick is moved to GO and the motor turns up that 19X12 APC-E prop to 6700 RPM when you expect it to.

DennyV
Old 07-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #15
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Good points, but the throttle kill switch is just an example. I'm really looking for information on programming the TX, in general.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #16
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

LOL
Depends on the size of the gut, (I'm working on mine!) Whenever I carry both the transmitter and the airplane, I always hold the transmitter with the sticks away from me. Got to watch that though, putting the transmitter down could still hit the sticks.

Below is a direct quote from the Castle Creations ESC instructions:

"Turn your transmitter ON, and set the throttle stick to mid throttle"

"Connect the main power battery to the speed controller. The speed controller will remain disarmed and will not operate the motor until it sees zero throttle"

"When you are ready to fly, move the throttle stick to the lowest position on your transmitter."

"The Phoenix will beep the motor to indicate its armed."

The next time the throttle is advanced, the motor GOES.

IMHO, I'm not certain I'd do the above with a 3000 watt motor in my 12S2P A123 Extra 330 powered by a Hacker A60-16M motor though. That motor is frightning enough when the transmitter stick is moved to GO and the motor turns up that 19X12 APC-E prop to 6700 RPM when you expect it to.
Thanks Dennis, Guess I need to start buying lots better ESC like CC Phoenix. Do other "cheaper" ESCs do the same thing? Like not arming the motor, if no zero throttle has yet to be detected. Never tried it anything like that only when changing fail safes.

thanks again
have a good one
cr
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #17
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
Thanks Dennis, Guess I need to start buying lots better ESC like CC Phoenix. Do other "cheaper" ESCs do the same thing? Like not arming the motor, if no zero throttle has yet to be detected. Never tried it anything like that only when changing fail safes.

thanks again
have a good one
cr

Darned if I know, only ESC's I've ever bought were Castle Creations. Why change when they work, work well, and are made in the USA (with USA and foreign parts!)

Having designed and built my own microcontroller controlled brush type ESC's in the mid 1990's (Maximum rating was 60 volts DC, at 35 Amps continuous), it was very easy to prevent arming the motor unless the throttle was at minimum. So, hopefully other mfgs are also doing the same thing.

DennyV
Old 07-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #18
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Darned if I know, only ESC's I've ever bought were Castle Creations. Why change when they work, work well, and are made in the USA (with USA and foreign parts!)

Having designed and built my own microcontroller controlled brush type ESC's in the mid 1990's (Maximum rating was 60 volts DC, at 35 Amps continuous), it was very easy to prevent arming the motor unless the throttle was at minimum. So, hopefully other mfgs are also doing the same thing.

Ok, I just tried it on a Grayson 50amp($40). Turn tx on, move throttle to 1/2, power up w/o prop,of course, motor armed and would only startup after moving throttle forward just a tic. So NO! it will not work with cheappies....duh!! should've figured that!! How I would best explain what happened is that now there is a new zero throttle location at the 1/2 throttle position on the tx. As I continue to enjoy this hobby, I really need to stop buying cheap crap or middle of the road esc's, motors. I have had pretty good luck til recently with Grayson ESCs until recently in my Blaze with this same Grayson 50amp ESC. (Airflow was the main prob)

......anyways back on topic........sorry mark

Any more ideas on the how-to-process on mixing a throttle cut-off on aux2 switch on a dx7 tx(at least for those who dont have Castle Creations esc's)?

have a good one
cr
Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #19
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

AUX2 -> THRO

mclarkson,

You should find that you can set the offset to '0' and it should still work ok. To make the max reverse so you kill throttle with the switch up then move the switch to the up position which will allow the second rate parameter to be adjusted, set it to '-100'.
Now move the switch down and set the first rate parameter to '0'.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

JetPlane,

That's not what I'm seeing. Changing the RATE from -100 to 0 results in the throttle moving down by 50%. So flipping the switch at full throttle reduces throttle from 100% to 50%. Flipping it at 0 throttle moves to -25% (on the Monitor), but I assume it's trying to go to -150%.

Under no circumstances can I get to the second RATE setting.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #21
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Club: Gooney Birds Flo, SC
Friends: (13)
Lightbulb sticks

JetPlane,

That's not what I'm seeing. Changing the RATE from -100 to 0 results in the throttle moving down by 50%. So flipping the switch at full throttle reduces throttle from 100% to 50%. Flipping it at 0 throttle moves to -25% (on the Monitor), but I assume it's trying to go to -150%.

Under no circumstances can I get to the second RATE setting.
On my tx I have to use the sticks to access the other settings,.........second rate thats if I understand your question!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

ok.. got to admit that i've never tried mixing a throttle kill, but I've done other mixes. perhaps you do also need to program in 'OFFSET' then?

You should get to the second RATE mix if you move the switch/control that's set to be the primary in the rate mix (that would be AUX2 switch in the mix you have set)
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #23
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
ok.. got to admit that i've never tried mixing a throttle kill, but I've done other mixes. perhaps you do also need to program in 'OFFSET' then?

You should get to the second RATE mix if you move the switch/control that's set to be the primary in the rate mix (that would be AUX2 switch in the mix you have set)

Maybe I am not as "smart" as I thought..lol......If I understand you right, when you are in the programing mode (THRO CUT), you move the AUX2 switch down or ON and that will let you access the second Rate??

have a good one
cr

oops sorry just seen where you already posted that.....more coffee needed!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #24
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Again, as nearly as I can tell, I can never get to the second rate setting, no matter which position the AUX2 switch is in.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Getting this one started again.....at least in my mind, the solution has not been resolved......

I really dont have much of a beer gut, but I have bumped the throttle stick a couple of times when I did not want to. I see this, as many would, as a safety concern. Therefore, I am waiting to see if this one gets figured out by someone lots smarter than I.

have a good one
cr

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros