Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
safecub

Friends: (2)
Default Do you use aileron-rudder mixing?

Very soon i will be making the jump from 3 chan to a 4 chan
now i use the rudder to turn on the ground but also now this is just me
if i need to turn left i will bank the plane left and have the right rudder on so it gives it a nice smooth turn is this right? or should i have the rudder the same way it is turning alone with the ailerons
Old 07-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

Some people do but I personally think it is a bad idea. It is much better, and your flights will be better performed, if you learn to coordinate your left thumb along with the right thumb on ailerons. After a bit of practice, you will find you really miss not having individual rudder control under some conditions, especially on cross wind landings and some aerobatics.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Nope.. just use your thumbs. Problem with mixing is that you then cant just use ailerons alone, like you would want to do in a roll for instance.

Steve
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Nope.. just use your thumbs. Problem with mixing is that you then cant just use ailerons alone, like you would want to do in a roll for instance.

Steve
I always put my mixes on a switch to avoid this.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I always put my mixes on a switch to avoid this.
Yeah, that's ok but i have other mixes (like knife edge mix) on switches and things just get too complicated. I've never really seen any point in mixing rudder with ailerons because you can do it very easily with your thumbs and too be honest most aerobatic models don't need rudder mixing it anyway.

But each to his own....

Steve
Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Yep I never use them on aerobatic ships.

Currently I use it on:
EFlite Beaver
Telemaster Plus
Cub

Those benefit greatly from the mix and since they are not highly aerobatic it is not a big deal. It is a lazy thing, even on those planes, no question.

Mike
Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Originally Posted by safecub View Post
if i need to turn left i will bank the plane left and have the right rudder on so it gives it a nice smooth turn is this right? or should i have the rudder the same way it is turning alone with the ailerons
A plane turns by banking, Applying ailerons will cause the plane to bank.

When the plane banks, some of the wings lift will be directed towards the direction the plane is banked. This is what actually causes the turn.
Problem is, some planes twist the fuselage in the opposite direction of the bank when ailerons are applied.
This opposite twisting motion is called adverse yaw.

It is caused by the ailerons not making equal drag on either side of the plane and causing the plane to twist or yaw adversely to the turn.

Rudder should be applied in the same direction of the turn
to offset the yaw of the fuselage.

The correct amount of rudder varies with the amount of aileron deflection.
Some people with radios that have mixing capabilities mix the rudder and aileron to move the same direction at the same time.
If you applied right aileron the transmitter will apply right rudder automatically.

If you are learning, it is pretty easy to just move the transmitter sticks the same direction at the same time. Move the right stick to the right and move the left stick to the right simultaneously.

It then lets you vary the rudder input to what you think is correct.
You can learn how much rudder is correct pretty quickly and you will get used to moving both sticks.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I have never tried to use left ail and right rudder unless i was doing a one wheel touch and go, holding the plane slightly tilted . I have a 1/3 scale cub that will not turn at all with ail so i have mixed rudder going in the same direction as my ail to help keep my turns flat with this plane . My short solent will probobly fly the same way as alot of scale planes fly like this. I will fly it first without the mixing to see how much rudder mixing it will need . It just helps me when i have a ton of other stuff going on and 20 other people flying at the same time. joe
Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

I agree. The best, most precise computer mixing functions are contaied betwixt your ears. Knowing how to use them properly will make you a better pilot, because it can think and adapt to changing conditions. Radios cant. These people who spend mega bucks for super sophisticated radios just so they can be programmed to do everything automatically are IMO to lazy to learn how to fly.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by safecub View Post
Put me down also for leaving the rudder/aileron mix out of the transmitter. Years ago I had a giant 1/4 scale electric Piper Cub. That thing really looked weird when a left turn bank resulted in the fuse turning right.

Just hit the rudder with the aileron, and you'll be just fine.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

My Phase3 P-40 needs it. It has NO dihedral and really acts funny in turns. I have the rud-ail mix on a switch so I can leave it off for take-offs and landings.

My Apprentice and PZ Corsair don't need it for just regular flying around, though I still use the rudder a lot when doing different maneuvers, to tighten a turn without having to bank more, take-offs and landings of course.

I think once again it's a matter of aircraft design and setup. My Apprentice and Corsair probably slip in the turns, but without sitting in the tiny cockpit and having a slip indicator, you can't tell from the ground, and it turns well enough. Planes like my P-40 on the other hand, have something in their design that makes it not want to turn well. This thread got me thinking about it, and I'm wondering if in the case of my P-40, is it that the wing has NO dihedral? Maybe aileron induced adverse yaw, since there is no differential built in? (I have my Corsair ailerons on seperate channels with differential throws.) I have a spare channel on the P-40, so maybe after I get the Turbojet flying, I'll dig into her wing and find where the ail servo leads come together and set it up so I can get them on seperate channels. It will be interesting to see if it helps.

Ugh! Did I ramble again? Sorry!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #12
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I agree. The best, most precise computer mixing functions are contaied betwixt your ears. Knowing how to use them properly will make you a better pilot, because it can think and adapt to changing conditions. Radios cant. These people who spend mega bucks for super sophisticated radios just so they can be programmed to do everything automatically are IMO to lazy to learn how to fly.
Even though i mix a little rudder in with my ail does not mean i still dont use my rudder. I still can use rudder and it does not move the ail at all only the ail control will move the rudder a bit. I dont know if spending 300 bucks for a dx-7 is having a super sophisticated radio but i think it is just a average one ,and nothing fancy. I learned more about flying with a rudder by flying a byron 1/3 scale pitts with a 50 cc motor than any other plane. The engine on take off would try to eat its own tail from motor tork and you had to be on the rudder at all times. joe
Old 07-10-2011, 02:49 AM   #13
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

I usually mix in a small amount of rudder too - 10% to 15%. It smooths out your aileron turns a bit and doesn't affect a roll all that much - and you can override it at anytime with direct rudder input anyway.

Wolfe
Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
safecub

ohh yes i am with you now so same way as i turn ..i had rubber right and right stick left (so its WITH the turn) not away got it

i fly a supercub so its just a way to get used to flying ..so i should not worry about it and use it in landings huh?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
......I have a spare channel on the P-40, so maybe after I get the Turbojet flying, I'll dig into her wing .............
No need to do that.. Its very easy to add differential to a single servo aileron set up. You just do it mechanically with the linkages.

If the servo is on top of the wing use a circular servo arm and connect the pushrods to holes that instead of being 180 Deg apart (90 deg each side of centre) are both offset slightly toward the rear, making the included angle between the holes about 150 Deg (75 Deg each side of centre).

If the servo is on the bottom do the same thing but offset toward the front.

15 Deg offset as suggested above should create moderate differential but if you want more just offset the holes by a greater angle. This was the only way you could create differential before these fancy computer radios came on the scene (showing my age?)

Steve
Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 

I use A/R mixing on my thermal duration gliders but not on my power planes. And if I did I would be sure to put it on a switch so I could turn it off.

Even on the gliders I turn it off when I am in thermals so I can fly it manually for more custom mixing.

For general cruising, a little A/R mixing might be good, but if you plan to engage in any form of aerobatics you definately want to turn this off.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thanks Jetplaneflyer for the ail servo offset suggestion! I knew there was a mechanical way as well, just didn't know how it worked. I'll look into that as a possible solution as well. It'll all come down to the way-of-the-electron. I learned to work like an electron, follow the path of least resistance!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

View BEAR-AvHistory's Gallery13
Club: Raleigh Durham Radio Control AMA Club #733

Yes with flat bottom wings

Kevin
Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

My old school sea plane the beast has elevons and no computer mixing at all just sliding trays with servos in them for left right and up and down .If i were to build that same plane today i probobly would program it with my radio . It was a nightmare to get the trays and all the linkage to work together . It tiped over and got wet one day and the wood rails that the trays slide on swelled so nothing worked till it dried out and went back to normal. lol joe
Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #20
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

I have not ever used rudder/aileron mixing, but recently, in our pylon race series, I'm mixing some left rudder in with up elevator.

When racing, it keeps the nose down during the turn. Everyone else shoots up, and I'm still right level with the ground.

Sorry... off topic, but I wanted to tell SOMEONE who Im not racing against!

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

15 Deg offset as suggested above should create moderate differential but if you want more just offset the holes by a greater angle. This was the only way you could create differential before these fancy computer radios came on the scene (showing my age?)

Steve
Steve, bro, even with the computer radiios, with a single servo, that is the way to go. You cant mess that simple setup up.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Simple answer to ORIGINAL post title :

Do not mix aileron with rudder.

Yep simple isn't it.

Learn to use each control separately.

Lets say your are on take off run and wind veers a touch .. model starts to track off line ... you hit rudder to correct ... aileron comes on as well ... WOW she lifts and WHY did she cartwheel ?

I have been RC'ing for nigh on 45yrs and only reason to mix surfaces is when you need rollrate or to make a plane turn. But then we are talking advanced models.

Original poster is talking about 3ch to 4ch ... so he's obviously read some of the online spiel that gets put about ...

To original poster ... if you are progressing to a standard imtermediate 4ch machine that will do most sports and club aerobatics forget all this crap you read about mixing and this and that ... set it up as 4ch and ENJOY !

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #22
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
A plane turns by banking, Applying ailerons will cause the plane to bank.

When the plane banks, some of the wings lift will be directed towards the direction the plane is banked. This is what actually causes the turn.
Problem is, some planes twist the fuselage in the opposite direction of the bank when ailerons are applied.
This opposite twisting motion is called adverse yaw.

It is caused by the ailerons not making equal drag on either side of the plane and causing the plane to twist or yaw adversely to the turn.

Rudder should be applied in the same direction of the turn to offset the yaw of the fuselage.

The correct amount of rudder varies with the amount of aileron deflection.
Some people with radios that have mixing capabilities mix the rudder and aileron to move the same direction at the same time.
If you applied right aileron the transmitter will apply right rudder automatically.

If you are learning, it is pretty easy to just move the transmitter sticks the same direction at the same time. Move the right stick to the right and move the left stick to the right simultaneously.

It then lets you vary the rudder input to what you think is correct.
You can learn how much rudder is correct pretty quickly and you will get used to moving both sticks.
Come on .... please ....... the guy is going from 3ch to 4ch and is concerned that he has used rudder as primary turn control and will now use aileron. He has no left stick experience to use rudder alone !
He really doesn't need this reply about a FEW models that are aerodynamically adverse ........... I doubt very much he will be buying such a model ! In fact I have trouble trying to think of any model that needs such setting up apart from some awful WW1 Biplanes ... yes I've had one !!

With greatest respect - can people answer in relation directly to original post ?

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Yep I never use them on aerobatic ships.
Mike
If you did ... you'd never place in any comps !!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #24
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
No i do not
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #25
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Simple answer to ORIGINAL post title :
Lets say your are on take off run and wind veers a touch .. model starts to track off line ... you hit rudder to correct ... aileron comes on as well ... WOW she lifts and WHY did she cartwheel ?
While you are correct in a lot of what you said in your 2 posts, especially how this discussion is way over the level the OP requires, the quoted statement is incorrect, at least with the radio I am familiar with. When you program the ail-rud mix, it will add rudder automatically when you make an ail input, but rudder inputs will not affect the ailerons.

You're also right, we don't need to have the mix, but it's a convenience to help tame some difficult to fly models. That's what this hobby is all about, to each his own.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners