Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
00nothing

Friends: (0)
Default Parkzone polecat and newbie

Hi guys this will be my first post. I have been flying heli's for a couple of yrs now and have gotten pretty good at it and a friend recently suggested I try a plane, he's a flyer and has convinced me that with my heli skills I should take to planes very quickly. I know it's a bit of a backwards approach starting with heli's and then going to planes but thats normal for me I like to start with a challenge.

I have been looking at the new pole cat but am wondering if it might be a bit to much plane or will a decent amount of expo dumb it down enough for a newbie fixed wing guy. I am a huge fan all of the micro bnf stuff and would love to have a nice collection of it so I will be buying a cub at some point as well but have heard it's not as good in the wind and where I fly there is almost always some kind of wind.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
bbqflyer

Club: Black Sheep RC Club, Danville, IN
Friends: (7)

I know it maybe boring compared to the polecat but I would start out with like the UM j-3 cub or even the um t-28, it's a trainer but takes a little more skill.

That's not flying, that's just falling with style.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Welcome aboard
Im pleased to meet you
Start with a high wing trainer
Then when you have the muscle memory and skills only then would i move on to mid and low wing planes
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

I seriously doubt that you could handle a Polecat. It is really a quick little airplane

Wolfe
Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I seriously doubt that you could handle a Polecat. It is really a quick little airplane

Wolfe
Originally Posted by 00nothing View Post
Hi guys this will be my first post. I have been flying heli's for a couple of yrs now and have gotten pretty good at it and a friend recently suggested I try a plane, he's a flyer and has convinced me that with my heli skills I should take to planes very quickly. I know it's a bit of a backwards approach starting with heli's and then going to planes but thats normal for me I like to start with a challenge.

I have been looking at the new pole cat but am wondering if it might be a bit to much plane or will a decent amount of expo dumb it down enough for a newbie fixed wing guy. I am a huge fan all of the micro bnf stuff and would love to have a nice collection of it so I will be buying a cub at some point as well but have heard it's not as good in the wind and where I fly there is almost always some kind of wind.
I would have to agree with Wolfe... someone let me try there Polecat out the field recently and it flies like a bullet...

Normally, i would NEVER suggest a difficult plane to a 1st time pilot BUT if you must have an ultra micro... for some reason i think you would do ok with the UMX Beast... I know what others are thinking reading this ("he's nuts to recommend that") and they are probably right...

But you mentioned always having wind and the Beast is the only UM i know that can handle 10-15mph... I would start out with tons of expo and toss it higher than you normally would...

BTW... i was just like you... heli only experience and the UMX Beast was my 1st plane... I crashed alot... but thats the great thing about the micro line is that they don't break as easy and if they do they are easy to fix. If the Beast was still $169 then i would say no way, but the price droped to $99 bucks recently so it's cheaper than the Polecat and will move you up the ranks of flying faster than a high wing trainer.

I would go ahead and order the 180mAh battery with it as well as you will need the extra weight for flying in the wind. If at all possible, try to go out on a day the wind is not so bad for your maiden.

I could be wrong about you and you may completely fail and smash the Beast to bits, but if you can fly collective pitch heli's, then your reflexes must be at least ok.

-John

Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory!

AMA #964800
Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac

i have to agree with the others , that pole cat is quite fast for a micro. and they guy that flys it in the gym(just tonight), thinks it quick for its size. AND he is a AMA winning pylon racer.

it will slow down somwhat..

Old 08-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
MaddSkillz

I'm not taking anyone of these folks advice. I'm a good pilot but haven't flown anything real for years. But I still log a lot of RealFlight time. I was a heli guy too.

I'm buying my PoleCat tomorrow. Speed isn't so much the issue as is the sensitivity of the plane. All of that can be "detuned" via the transmitter.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

View Elfi Flyer's Gallery10
Club: YCF
Friends: (1)

From my experience to date, and from observations made, the best "out of the box" micro flyer for newbies, and that means both new RC flyers and flyers new to Micro planes, the Hobby Zone UM Champ takes the cake. A complete package, including transmitter and batteries, at $89.95. You can bind the plane, as I did, to any JR or Spektrum DSM2 or DSMX transmitter if you choose to do so. I am surprised to find how many intermediate and advanced RC flyers make the Champ part of their fleet. It's easy to fly, handles wind better than most micro planes, and is just plain fun. I have flown my Champ in wind conditions that kept most planes on the ground. It's only three channel, but so what. I can barrel roll, loop, harrier, and even so some limited inverted flight with the little bugger. IMHO, it's a great plane for introducing a new pilot or experienced pilot to micro-flyers. Beware, however! Micro-flyers can be quite addicting!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8329.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	152278 Micro-Flyers are just like potato chips, you can't have just one!

E-F
Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
MaddSkillz

BTW, I got the Polecat and have been flying it a lot! Setup was simple and I'm now at 85% dual rates on it. I have yet to have an incident and am having a blast!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
bbqflyer

Club: Black Sheep RC Club, Danville, IN

that's great MaddSkillz. It's obviously like riding a bike for you, plus you've been keeping it up with RF. Not everyone has your skill set though, even coming from heli's. So even just briefly starting with something easier is probably better for them.

That's not flying, that's just falling with style.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes