Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
RONALDO_UK

Friends: (0)
Default Parkzone 2.4ghz spektrum dsm2 tx:

Hi - my Parkzone Ultra Micro Cub came with a basic Parkzone 4-ch 2.4ghz Spektrum DSM2 TX. The binding process, if necessary, does not involve a bind plug (as there isn't one).
If another model is fitted with a Spektrum DSM2 RX (or compatible) which DOES have a bind plug, is it possible to bind my Parkzone TX to it?? If so, how is it done?? My Cub manual does not appear to mention this possibility although it does show how to bind other Spektrum TX to the Cub (seems to involve using the trainer switch which I'm not familiar with and I don't think I have on my Parkzone TX).
This is probably an easy question for someone with a little experience but I'm a complete novice!!
Any advice gratefully received.
Regards.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

If you do this, realize that you will then have to re-bind it back to your Cub when you
want to fly that again.

What you would do is turn on the plane/receiver FIRST and that should put the reveiver
into bind mode, and then turn on the transmitter and just wait.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
RONALDO_UK

Thanks for your quick reply Jim!
But are you talking about a 2.4ghz Spektrum DSM2 compatible receiver with a bind plug?? - I assume such a receiver exists? If so, is it necessary to insert the bind plug to tie it to my Parkzone TX (that came with Cub) and is it possible?
My Cub manual gives instructions how to tie the TX back to Cub if necessary (which I've done a couple of times) but of course there's no bind plug involved.
Regards.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

If you want to use your PZ DSM2 transmitter with a Spektrum DSM2 receiver that has a bind plug, you put the bind plug into the slot marked for that, ( next to the throttle slot) apply power to the receiver, and then power up your transmitter. There is a light on the reciever that will start flashing when you apply power to the receiver. When the light goes to a steady on, the bind procedure is complete.
Remember to do a range check with the newly created system. I think you said your transmitter came with a cub, I have a DSM2 transmitter ( no in use at this time) that came with my CX2 heli. It is DSM2, but a low power, short range unit. I would only use it for very close in flying.
Good luck with it.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
RONALDO_UK

Thanks dumo01 - that's a definite answer! The procedure is essentially the same as I would do with my Cub with the exception of inserting a bind plug. I'm very new to this and was thinking at first that maybe all 2.4ghz Spektrum DSM2 RX didn't use bind plugs. The range with Cub is far enough for me at present but I appreciate it may differ with other planes.
Regards.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

Originally Posted by RONALDO_UK View Post
Thanks dumo01 - that's a definite answer! The procedure is essentially the same as I would do with my Cub with the exception of inserting a bind plug. I'm very new to this and was thinking at first that maybe all 2.4ghz Spektrum DSM2 RX didn't use bind plugs. The range with Cub is far enough for me at present but I appreciate it may differ with other planes.
Regards.
The Spektrum receivers come with instructions. Just follow the instructions.

I think the warning about range is a valid one. Some of the transmitters that come with the RTFs are not full power though they are powerful enough for the plane or heli they are flying.

Don't forget to do a range check and do it from several angles. With any 2.4 GHz installation you need to do a range check from all around to be sure that nothing is blocking the signal. Standard procedure.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 07-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
RONALDO_UK

Hi - thanks for the additional info and points noted. I'm still learning to walk so close-in flying is the limit of my ambition for now! I would imagine the PZ Ultra Micro Cub is very popular in the USA and I thought loads of guys, before they spent big bucks on DX6i and higher, would have used (if possible) the basic TX supplied with the Cub in models they made - I know of course this TX is compatible with several other PZ models. It was the bind plug issue that confused me as the Cub obviously has an arrangement where it's not needed. With the benefit of wonderful hindsight I think I should have gone for the Champ as my introductory plane!
Regards.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
RONALDO_UK

Hi - I can now give a definitive answer to my own question (for anyone with the same query)! The basic Parkzone TX as supplied with my RTF Ultra Micro Cub (and probably as supplied with other Parkzone Ultra Micros) DOES bind with a Spektrum-compatible RX. Or at least, in my case, an Orange RX Spektrum DSM2 compatible. And contrary to some YouTube info, the pin arrangement is NOT reversed ie top pin is signal wire. I switched on power to the RX, then initially depressed left stick on TX (mine is mode 2) whilst powering on the TX - this is procedure as given in Cub manual. Binding completed in a few seconds and I was able to check that all my spanky new servos were functioning! Subsequently TX is powered on first.
Regards.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners