Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
jimdee

Friends: (0)
Default Receiver needed.

The foam Spitfire I am assembling needs a Receiver 3 Channel as minimum. This Flying Styro Kit model is an old model and the Radio I have purchased to fly it with is a Spektrum DX6i (with it's own Receiver). So does this foam Spitfire still need a receiver fitted to it?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

The receiver that came with the dx6i will work just fine.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
jimdee

Red face Receiver/Servo

Can I assume that the receiver in the DX6i will operate the Servo in this Supermarine Spitfire Mk. 1X C ?. I should have bought a simpler Radio for this foam model but I am thinking ahead to owning more RC models in the future.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Wrongway-Feldman

Most serves are pretty standard now. Do you have a link to the manufacturer?
A standard servo will have three wires at the connector. Power, ground, and control. If the servo you have are like that then there is a very good chance the will work.
The choice of the dx6i is a good one. Starting with a more basic radio just leads to buying a better one in the future.
Will this be your first plane?
If it is then I would highly recommend not flying it till you've learned to fly on a trainer model.
A warbird is not a plane to learn to fly on.

Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
jimdee

Default Servo campatability

The manufacturer of this Flying Styro Kit is is the far behind and looks like it is CZ but I am sure they have a website. I have not bought a Servo yet and the one recommended is a Futaba HS-50 or a Griebel C141. I read somewhere in one of these discussions that Futaba Servo's work best with Futaba radios. I purchased a Griebel Motor and ordered a Griebel gearbox from USA and I favour a Griebel C141 Servo for this Warbird. This is my first RC model and I love Spitfires but I am treading very carefully with this RC kit. I am building a free flight Avro 504K and being the first I have built I learned a lot doing it (and made a lot of mistakes along the way!).
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Wrongway-Feldman

The free flight model will help you learn about trim but won't help you learn to fly.
If you try the spitfire as your first rc plane you will have next to zero success. You'll get very frustrated and will not have enough fun and success to keep flying.
Get yourself a well supported high wing trainer like a supercub, apprentice, or flyzone switch and you will learn to fly rather than learn new way to swear as all you will do is crash.
There are some very good threads on this board about beginner aircraft. Look through these and you will find some great ideas to ge you started successfully.
We all started with trainers for the most part. They may not be as cool as what you would rather be flying but in the beginning its about learning to fly. The cool planes come later.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
jimdee

Default Daylight

I feel like I have potholing and trapped for some time trying to chisel my way out, but I see daylight at last, and yes there is a way out. I have indeed looked at simpler models to fly.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by jimdee View Post
I feel like I have potholing and trapped for some time trying to chisel my way out, but I see daylight at last, and yes there is a way out. I have indeed looked at simpler models to fly.
Glad to hear it.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
jimdee

Default Advice

Thanks for your sound advice.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros