Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways
Friends: (2)
Default Ongoing Spektrum Issues

I had smoke coming out of my ears this morning.

A week and a half ago I had two unexplained crashes and one plane was destroyed. Turns out my new Dx6i which I had only had for 3 weeks was being recalled and the receiver compatibility with DSM2 receivers was the issue.

So, since my radio was homesick and back at Horizon, I was using my grandsons DX5e (DSMX) with a DSMX receiver. I go to fly this morning before work (one of my few pleasures) and the field is freshly mowed, no wind, no people...perfect and guess what: My DMSX receiver is not responding to the transmitter. I tried to rebind and nothing, apparently the receiver failed.

Here is a list of crap I have received from Horizon:

1. Bad 2 in 1 board in a MCx Heli
2. Another bad 2 in 1 board in an MCx
3. 2 bad 2 in 1 boards in an MSr heli
4. One SR heli that is a terrible design (wobbly head) Just un-flyable
5. Two airplane crashes due to bad radio design
6. A brand new DSMX system that doesn't work

Why shouldn't I buy direct from China instead of Spektrum or E-Flite products? How could I get worse quality? BTW at the field I know many people who are flying Orange receivers with no trouble.

<end of rant>

Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Well your experience could not be further from my own.

I have flown over 30 receivers, and Spektrum equipment (DX6, DX6i, DX7) since the release of the DX6. I have never had a Spektrum related issue. Not one in thousands of flights.

Perhaps you might seek help from other fliers in your area, maybe something else is going on.

So always two sides to the story.

Mike
Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
spad

Friends: (0)

Mine has been as Mike's: perfect.

Sorry for you.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
payne9999

The recall is on their site and it is official. If you have an older DSM2 not "X" it is not an issue. I called them this morning and now the "8 days" to turn around the firmware update is now "14 days".

I like the feature set and the concept of Spektrum but I have two radios and it is the middle of flying season and I can't fly.

They also won't make the MSr problem right. I have had it with Horizon.

usually their customer service is great but I am done.

Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Sorry for the trouble Dave - I do feel bad for you but honestly feel like something else is going on. Where you at maybe another set of eyes on the issue might provide some help?

Just trying to help!

Mike
Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)

The price you pay for Horizion isn't neccessarally for higher quality stuff. (Although it is... mostly.) The price you pay is for service and support OF that stuff.

I was an early DSM2 adopter I have 3 spektrum radios (2 dx6i's 1 dx8) each DX6i had to go in for service TWICE, the DX8 is currently in for the same bullitin you have.

I also have 15 spektrum receivers, ~8 of them have gone to and from Horizon at least once. Yeah, it sucks, but it's covered. I have never paid for any of the work done.

If I had purchased chinese stuff it might have cost 1/2 as much, but when it breaks or fails your only recourse is to throw it out. YOU WILL NOT GET ANY PRODUCT BACKING FROM THE CHINESE. Selling Junk is SOP over there.

If you live within the USA you'll even get a free goodie (usually) for your inconvenience.

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997
Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)

As for your MSR problem what is it? I've got a 1st DAY msr and it's been great. So far all I've had to replace is the blade grip part of the head from one to many smacks into the wall.

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
payne9999

The MSr and the MCx's I have owned have had the ESC burn out 4 times. We don't fly back to back batteries and there would be no reason for them to overheat (which is what Horizon claims). Also, if you are not supposed to fly one battery after another why does the MSr come with 2 batteries and a 4 port charger? Also, the manual doesn't say to let the heli cool between flights and when I call about this problem the tech person always asks about flying for longer than one battery.

If in doubt blame the customer or quote the warranty which claims that they are not warrantied after you open the box....

Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
payne9999

Horizon paid for the first ESC failure and when it failed again a month later they said no. So, I have a $129 heli that needs a $50 board.

Why should 4 boards have the same failure. If I buy a new one it might last but it might fail again in a week.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
texasclouds
Super Contributor

View texasclouds's Gallery472
Friends: (12)

Dang I didn't know about the DSMX transmitter recall. These guys are digging their own grave...

That said, I've never lost a plane in the 2 yrs of Spektrum 2.4 flying. I had to send in my DX6i for the trainer port recall (plug in the trainer cord and the unit overheats - gets jacked up). They gave me a free AR6200 receiver and turn around was less than 10 days including shipping time.

The Futaba hippity hop stuff sounds better, but their gear is more pricey. I don't fly in congested 2.4 areas so Spektrum is fine with me.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
spad

Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
Dang I didn't know about the DSMX transmitter recall. These guys are digging their own grave...

That said, I've never lost a plane in the 2 yrs of Spektrum 2.4 flying. I had to send in my DX6i for the trainer port recall (plug in the trainer cord and the unit overheats - gets jacked up). They gave me a free AR6200 receiver and turn around was less than 10 days including shipping time.

The Futaba hippity hop stuff sounds better, but their gear is more pricey. I don't fly in congested 2.4 areas so Spektrum is fine with me.
What do you mean by "digging their own grave?"

Are you opining that this apparent "defect" will take them under or what?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I have a CX2, MCX S300, and MSR. Flown the bejeezus out of them, and never had any failures of anything except broken blades/parts from crashing. Wonder what's the probability of getting 4 bad 4-in-1's in a row?

I think I had a brown-out with my Dx6i and Apprentice, but I think it was my fault, as I didn't have the antennae pointing straight up, like the instructions say. I had it 90 degrees to the left, and my plane was directly to my right on final approach. My fault.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #13
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by spad View Post
What do you mean by "digging their own grave?"

Are you opining that this apparent "defect" will take them under or what?
I mean if you consistently have issues with your products, people will eventually wiseup.

Hobbyking quality control and reputation is getting better each day...

Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I have a CX2, MCX S300, and MSR. Flown the bejeezus out of them, and never had any failures of anything except broken blades/parts from crashing. Wonder what's the probability of getting 4 bad 4-in-1's in a row?

I think I had a brown-out with my Dx6i and Apprentice, but I think it was my fault, as I didn't have the antennae pointing straight up, like the instructions say. I had it 90 degrees to the left, and my plane was directly to my right on final approach. My fault.
A brownout has to do with rceiver voltage drop not antenna shadowing.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
spad

Geez, I thought a brownout occurred in the pilot's drawers after a voltage drop below the threshold.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #16
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

A brownout has to do with rceiver voltage drop not antenna shadowing.
OK, whatever it was, the result was the same, the cause was pilot error!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #17
texasclouds
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Brownout is universal. I blame all my crashes on brownout.

Strange comment about HK.
What I meant is that HK is becoming a real player now. That means less gap in quality from hk to namebrand. If hk quality stays strong yet at low cost... Horizon and Tower are going to loose market share at an exponential rate.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #18
spad

What I meant is that HK is becoming a real player now. That means less gap in quality from hk to namebrand. If hk quality stays strong yet at low cost... Horizon and Tower are going to loose market share at an exponential rate.
Ah, "loose" market share-a brownout of sorts?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 AM   #19
texasclouds
Super Contributor

payne999,

If you do like rc helis, you should look into a hobby grade collective pitch (CP) option like the Align Trex design. It is much more robust and has tons of learning potential. There is always something new to try on a 3-D heli.

The SR was made to be a cheap CP learning option; however, the truth is that if you are going to fly CP, you eventually will have to learn how to setup and maintain one. I would minimize the additional $$$ you put into the SR and plan on setting up a real 450 or 500 CP helicopter.

I bought one off the Hobby King hk450 pro kits and had it in the air for under $200. I fly it with off-brand components and am very pleased with their quality and flight ability. You don't have to spend $1,000 to have a good flying helicopter. Setup was surprisingly easy (with time spent researching first of course).

I'm running mine with a Spektrum DX7 and AR6100 receiver. Again, my Spektrum radio has been very faithful. Spektrum is a reliable system and is very popular. I also have the DX6i and DX5e. They have been A-OK as well.

Spad,

Thanks for lightening the mood a bit. I wasn't trying to bash Horizon...I do like their products. I pick and choose between all of the hobby companies.

Mark

Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #20
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

I mean if you consistently have issues with your products, people will eventually wiseup.

Hobbyking quality control and reputation is getting better each day...
I have a theory about this. I worked with a radio manufacture for many years. It seems we are to reliant on the Asian supplier for all the electronic components. These guys work with the mind set "The Art of War". First they supply us with good components. Then little by little the quality goes down. Then they start their own company over here and their quality goes up and up with lower prices. Have you all noticed that Futaba is the only company that has very few or no issues at all with their radios. This is because they make all their own components and chips. They are not reliant on other companies. If you confront these companies about there quality control they say ops my bad, old stock. We will make it better. But it never happens.

The manufactures over here that are using these companies think their suppliers are just idiots or are telling us the truth when they say ops we made a mistake. Guess again. I think the real idiots are the ones that think this doesn't go on.These guys know exactly what they are doing.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth. I have had an inside look of what goes on that most people haven't.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Project "GlobeTrotter" Participant
Old 07-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #21
texasclouds
Super Contributor

airmail wf,

That is an interesting point.

There is no telling what agenda the Asian suppliers have, if any. Bringing more stuff in-house can only make things better.

Now if only the USA could again become an attractive place for businesses to invest in...

Mark

Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #22
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Its getting to be that Chinese hate rants are soup de jour these days.
Its getting offensive to tell the truth. Not every Chinese manufacturer has an evil secret agenda to rip off the consumer. In fact, most products coming from China are amongst the best in the world.
There is this prevalent thought that all Chinese products are r&d'd abroad and then built or ripped off in China. That is a myth.
Chinese manufacturers r&d their own products and then sell that product to a name brand vendor.
If you head to your local wal-mart and head to the home appliance isle most of that name brand stuff was designed and developed by the factory that makes it. Quisinart just puts their name on it.
American companies rip of their customers as much as anyone else. They just have fancy lawyers that keep it just barely legal. Just look up binding arbitration clauses and you'll find that everyone of you that has a cell phone or credit card waived your right to sue and most of you don't know it. They just slipped in the fine print no-one ever reads.
I'm not Chinese, but my wife is. I see everyday how we are being treated worse as it is now politically correct to view the Chinese as evil.
Red ruskies, that's all done. Then it was Muslims, now politically incorrect cause as it turns out most aren't terrorists. Now its the Chinese. Who's next?
Sorry for the the rant, but it had to be said.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #23
texasclouds
Super Contributor

I'd say this thread in particular is a far cry from a 'Chinese hate rant'.

I'm sorry if you feel that way, and I'm sure others here feel the same way.

Sit back and enjoy the nice Alberta weather...be glad you aren't here in Texas. It's been heating up to 100F every day for the past month and a half :-(

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #24
payne9999

My statement about buying direct was not based on anything but the simple idea of:

what am I getting when I buy for example, a Spektrum brand receiver for $60 compared to a $7 Orange receiver? It does irritate me that when buying the brand name stuff I get failures, crashed airplanes and return labels so the equipment has to go back to Illinois.

Since it is all made there (China or Taiwan) why shouldn't I buy from suppliers direct when the quality is available in some items. Free market ideals say that the best competition wins.

Another example: I used to buy American cars until I realized I couldn't afford to anymore because they literally fell apart going down the road. So due to reliability I drive Japanese cars that are ironically now built in America. Still the better competitor won.

Recently I tried some orders from a vendor in Hong Kong. The orders both came in 7 days, and the parts were really inexpensive and for example the HXT900 servos I bought were far stronger, quicker and centered better than the E-Flight servos or the ERc servos from Hobby Lobby (both bought stateside).

I have worked in Hong Kong, China, Korea and many other places. I respect the Chinese because of their hard work and tenacious nature but do I wish our country was doing better in the world markets? Of course.

I was annoyed yesterday because of yet another failure but today I bought a new radio that I am hoping will last a while and won't have to be sent back.

By the way, I contacted the LHS where I bought the Dx5e only 3 weeks ago and he won't take it back. Will I do business with him in the future? I don't know yet, but I don't want to see him go away and I still do buy locally as well.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #25
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

I'd say this thread in particular is a far cry from a 'Chinese hate rant'.

I'm sorry if you feel that way, and I'm sure others here feel the same way.

Sit back and enjoy the nice Alberta weather...be glad you aren't here in Texas. It's been heating up to 100F every day for the past month and a half :-(
I can Appreciate why you would think this is a far cry from such a thread. But think again about what has been mentioned so far. It always starts out with a quality complaint. Then things are said that are false, inflammatory, misleading or both.
For example. Someone in this thread remarks about overall Chinese quality being inferior. Then someone else chimes in that if you buy name brand they make everything themselves.
That's the first big false statement. There is no giant Futaba factory that makes everything. They don't even design everything. They will have need of a component to do a certain thing and out source that part. Usually to the lowest bidder. All those parts are then assembled in a factory that assembles devices for many different companies.
The thread then follows form and someone chimes in with a story about how quality is compromised on purpose by Chinese producers in order to take over the worlds manufacturing.
This is all just in this thread. I have read through hundreds of threads that follow this pattern and couldn't hold my tongue anymore.
I'm sorry if I've angered anyone. But history has shown that this type of thinking has never led to anything good.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros