Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Bobmic
Bobmic

Friends: (0)
Default FrSky vs Spektrum conversion module to 2.4G

I have a Futaba 8UHP Supper 72Mhz that I would like to convert to 2.4G at this point I am considering two options:
1. Spektrum DM8
2. FrSky FF-1 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for Futaba w/ Module & RX
3. FrSky DF 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for Futaba w/ Module & RX

I know that the benefit of the Spektrum is the BNF option but beside this which one is a better choice? (and better quality...?)
I am not sure what is the difference between the two FrSky options available from Hobby King.
If I go with FrSky which additional receiver should I purchase for park flyers - I currently have a Mini Ultra Stick and a Parkzone Extra 300.

...Last option is to just purchase a Spektrum Tx

Thank you,
Bobby
Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I think the first point is to separate Futaba and Spektrum .. as they are two different specs ... the Spekie follows JR which will not work with Futaba.

Are you happy with your Futaba ? Do you really need a new radio ?

Why do I ask ? I have a JR from the 1980's that is on it's way back to me from service. It is modular and can accept todays JR / FrSKY modules to create a 2.4Ghz radio. Or I leave as is with perfectly working 35Mhz ... The only limitation is that it's not a computerised radio and therefore has no model memorys or menu system ... It has trim pots in back to mix, couple, adjust etc. etc.
The radio is to me one of the best to handle and fly with. I have not found any modern radio yet that compares in holding or feel of sticks.

When I wanted to buy a Computer radio - as it was to be a secondary system - I chose the FlySky and then later fitted FrSky module ... it has performed well and I'm very happy with it - along with I saved a large amount of hard earned cash with it's budget price.

So what to do ? If you like your Futaba - fit the FrSky ... the different models are based on the Telemetry version and non telemetry versions. That is the DF will with suitable Rx and extra additions transmit model info back to you on ground. The other will not. Both Tx modules will work with any FrSky RX based on 2.4Ghz ...
I use the non telemetry Tx module Vers 2 with VFR Rx ... 8 ch's. There are lesser smaller Rx's but I wanted the dual antena redundancy safety with the VFR.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Bobmic
Bobmic

Friends: (0)

Telemetry will be a nice option to have - can you give me more details about the preferred receivers.
The reason I am considering a switch is due to the receiver size and price which is significantly smaller compared to my two PCM receivers.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Bobmic View Post
Telemetry will be a nice option to have - can you give me more details about the preferred receivers.
The reason I am considering a switch is due to the receiver size and price which is significantly smaller compared to my two PCM receivers.
I'm no expert on this and tbh - I go by what online reviews such as this :

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/frskyreview.shtml

I use the FrSky and others I fly with have modules in Hitec and other Tx's ... all working fine.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Bobmic View Post
I have a Futaba 8UHP Supper 72Mhz that I would like to convert to 2.4G at this point I am considering two options:
1. Spektrum DM8
2. FrSky FF-1 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for Futaba w/ Module & RX
3. FrSky DF 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for Futaba w/ Module & RX

I know that the benefit of the Spektrum is the BNF option but beside this which one is a better choice? (and better quality...?)
I am not sure what is the difference between the two FrSky options available from Hobby King.
If I go with FrSky which additional receiver should I purchase for park flyers - I currently have a Mini Ultra Stick and a Parkzone Extra 300.

...Last option is to just purchase a Spektrum Tx

Thank you,
Bobby
It has been a few months. What did you do and how did it work out for you?

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros