Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
RONALDO_UK

Friends: (0)
Default Multiplex Fox rc conversion:

Hi - I apologise again for some more very EASY questions (on pay-day I might buy a book or two – any suggestions? Is there an RC book in the Dummy series?!).

I’m hoping to convert a foam Fox to RC as a learning experience. I have to buy stuff mail-order so no help there, plus catalogue descriptions are brief/unhelpful.

I’ve seen various conversions and realise there are several methods.

Re. servos: Some use one servo on top of the fuselage to control the ailerons and some use 2 servos, one each side of the fuselage. In latter case, am I right that the 2 servos share a special Y-connector that also moves the servos in opposite directions? Can servos be centralised at any position and then swing both ways from that position?

Re. linkages: With piano wire and Z-bends at each end (ie no adjustment), is the bend hooked onto servo arm before arm is fixed to servo? With my Ultra Micro Cub, where this could not be done, I flexed the plastic horn on the control surface but was worried about damage. I’m not even sure what gauge wire to buy (for Fox) as it doesn’t give the horn hole size (I know to some extent they can be enlarged). I was thinking to buy nylon clevises to make things easier?

Re. motor: Do most motor mounts have provision for adjusting motor attitude if initially incorrect?

Any advice/tips appreciated .

Regards.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

here are some builds for you hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.electric-rc-airplane.net/...ni-pylon-racer

http://rcrodeo.com/trainer-rc-planes...ox-glider.html

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/mul...onversion.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
RONALDO_UK

Hi and thanks Chellie - why are you up at this ungodly hour?! My excuse is I'm in the UK and it's much later here! I've seen a few of those links but some are new to me. The useful ones (for me) are those with close-up photos of details. Some of my stuff arrived today (servos, clevises etc.) and it's useful to see these things in the flesh. I've still got the dearer items to buy - motor, rx, esc (you see I've picked up some jargon!). I'd still be very grateful for some obs/advice on some of the elementary points I raised. There seems to be no end of devices and gizmos to solve certain problems and I especially like some of the improvisations/work-arounds some modellers do (and ask myself why didn't I think of that). My only contribution so far is to pick up and position micro-washers with masking tape! - although a magnetised pick-up might be better.
Regards.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Hi I am still up because i just got done working outside a little bit ago , I am putting in a above ground swimming pool, 16 feet Dia x 4 feet deep, my son and my grandson are helping me, its to hot during the day in the high desert to work outside, so we work at night when its nice and cool we had to cut the ground down a little to level the area, and spread some sand on the top for a nice soft bottom under the swimming pool, got that all done, soooo i am going to get up in about 5 hours and put the pool up in the cool morning then go back inside and take another nap Take care and have fun, I going to hit the hay as they say Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
RONALDO_UK

Hi again - now I see the method in your madness! Same as when we go to Spain in the hot months the locals do all their picking on the land either early morning or late evening. As I'm on holiday, I find a cool bar! Enjoy your siesta.
Regards, Ron
PS We say hit the hay too. Is So short for Sacramento??
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
squidger

Friends: (3)

I'm just about to convert a fox to rc. My local model shop actually puts together a complete setup , motor esc servos etc. I have even bought micro snakes for the elevator control and will make up aileron control rods using 1mm carbon rod and piano wire using heat shrink to attach the wire to the rod. I will be going for a pod above the wing for the motor mount. Using a 6 channel receiver allows you to plug ailerons into seperate channels and mix controls if needed. There is a build guide on the Crawley cadmac site.

http://www.cadmac.org.uk/
Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
RONALDO_UK

Thanks for that squidger.
Small world! - you're not a million miles from me, I'm in Coulsdon! What's your local model shop called? - I know there's Modelzone in Crawley and another shop in Southwater.
Can you also tell me where you sourced the cf (solid or hollow?) and what size/gauge wire you're using? Will you need some more carbon tube for strengthening wings etc.?
I've had some stuff come today - servos/clevises/heat-shrink etc. Not quite sure why a 9g servo is suggested for ailerons and a smaller (lighter) one for elevators?
3-4 channels will do me for now! I'm hoping I can use the tx from my Ultra Micro Cub - it doesn't use a bind plug to tie up with Cub but I presume it will bind with an rx that does come with bind plug? Being a complete novice makes things difficult, especially the jargon and technical terms! Why for example don't they say what shaft diameter a prop fits so you know if an adapter is needed - or am I misunderstanding something?
Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
RONALDO_UK

Hi again squidger - I took a look at that link. It's great - superb photos. Haven't read the detail yet but it looks good too. Thanks again.
Regards.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #9
squidger

You are just up the road. I bought my new bike from dobles in Coulsdon. My local model shop is in Salfords between Horley and Redhill. It's called Red Baron Models and is run by a top guy called Dave. He stocks everything and is very helpful. I fly at a number of places. I have a local field about 500 yards from my house and fly at woodhatch near Reigate sometimes.If you go to Red Baron Models tell him Fred sent you and he will treat you well. Mind you he treats all well. In fact call me and I may be able to meet you in the shop if I'm not busy. Will PM my number.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
I'm just about to convert a fox to rc. My local model shop actually puts together a complete setup , motor esc servos etc. I have even bought micro snakes for the elevator control and will make up aileron control rods using 1mm carbon rod and piano wire using heat shrink to attach the wire to the rod. I will be going for a pod above the wing for the motor mount. Using a 6 channel receiver allows you to plug ailerons into seperate channels and mix controls if needed. There is a build guide on the Crawley cadmac site.

http://www.cadmac.org.uk/
Hi
That looks like a wonderful conversion
Great looking club and a very nice site as well
Heres another one thats quite easy to perform
http://www.electricwingman.com/guide...rsion-axi.aspx
Thanks ever so much for the link
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
RONALDO_UK

Hi squidger -
Thanks again. Were you on the night-shift today?!
The coincidences keep coming! I was window-shopping in Doble's only yesterday (Tues.) and lusting after big bikes (what have you got?)!! And I went looking for Red Baron the other week near Honeycrock Lane - not sure if I didn't spot it or couldn't pop in at the time - my daughter lives in Redhill.
Crawley club fees are extremely reasonable although it's not worth me joining a club just now with my humble Ultra Micro Cub (that's not behaving at present) - what are you flying?
I've already bought the basic Fox at a model shop just outside Worthing - I got the impression they weren't too interested unless you were spending 100s.
It looks like that Fox link has crossed the Atlantic now that Hank has picked it up!
Regards, Ron.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
RONALDO_UK

Hi squidger - I sent you a pm. At least I hope I did as it's 1st I've sent. You'll find it very strange BUT true!
Regards.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
squidger

Sorry Ron my internet blew up. Back up and running now though. Y eah I was on nights at the airport lol. Have since we last spoke kitted a fox out but was unimpressed with it's flight. Definitely not a beginners model . It violently tip stalls and violently rolls when you apply enough up elevator to try and loop.I played around with motor angle and also tail incidence and got it flying better but it would still roll to the right uncommanded. Anyway I put the radio gear in another free flight glider bought at Red Baron and that flies great.

If you dont want to join a club yet but would still like to fly you are welcome to have a go at my local field.The land owner doesn't mind us flying there and frequently watches with his kids.

My bike is a CB1000R
Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
RONALDO_UK

Hi Fred - nice to hear from you. Was that the Fox you only just picked up? - if so, quick work! But bad news on its behaviour - the guy in RB warned me. Do you think it could be the top-mounted motor? What was the other glider you bought and has that got a top-mounted motor too?
Not sure if your Thursday meet took place last night (bad weather)? I'm hoping to come along (as a spectator) soon. My Cub is only good for calm days. The 38" span Cub I bought "by accident" is mothballed until I get some skill! Where's your field?
Helluva bike you've got (jealous!). Makes my Custom YBR125 look incredibly tame although I like the retro look of mine. I re-entered biking last year after 30 years absence! - in a tame way as with most things - they've hidden the gearshift or put it somewhere else!!
Regards.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Talking

Hi Fred And Ronaldo
Hows about some pics of your bikes
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ghlight=bikers
Heres my pride and joy
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
RONALDO_UK

Nice bike Hank! - if I had one like that it would be MY pride and joy too! My father had an Indian but that was over 50 years ago, so probably a little different to yours! Maybe Fred will oblige you with a pic but much as I like my bike, I don't think it's worth getting the camera out!
Regards.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
squidger

Yeah it was the fox I just picked up. The new model is an Art tech Diamond 600. A T tail throw glider that wasn't too difficult to hollow out and fill with micro radio gear. This time I fitted a tiny brushless outrunner in the nose. Ron my field is about 500 yards from my house.I live about 2 minutes drive from Red Baron headed towards airport.About 50 yards from Farmhouse pub in Horley. What sort of radio gear do you use as I may be able to buddy box you. It doesn't matter what you ride Ron (ooer missus) Your on two wheels which is good. Stick a pic up when you can.

Here you go Hank.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Cool

Hi Fred
Hoo boy shes looks fast
Very nice
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Yeah it was the fox I just picked up. The new model is an Art tech Diamond 600. A T tail throw glider that wasn't too difficult to hollow out and fill with micro radio gear. This time I fitted a tiny brushless outrunner in the nose. Ron my field is about 500 yards from my house.I live about 2 minutes drive from Red Baron headed towards airport.About 50 yards from Farmhouse pub in Horley. What sort of radio gear do you use as I may be able to buddy box you. It doesn't matter what you ride Ron (ooer missus) Your on two wheels which is good. Stick a pic up when you can.

Here you go Hank.

Nice, Is that a Ducatti??

this is what I got to keep bugs in my teeth!

http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/s...7&ppuser=41174

cr
Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post

cr
Hi
Outstanding
I LIKE HER
Very nice
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 07-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #21
squidger

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post

cr

Looks nice. Alot of work gone into her no doubt. Mines a Honda CB 1000R. Just been released in the States now and selling faster than shops can stock up.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #22
RONALDO_UK

Hi Hank - I just looked up your location and I must apologise, my geography is dreadful - the only exam I could never pass. A couple of weeks back I sent my daughter to the US to do some missionary work! - and yesterday, her partner too, as back-up and reinforcement. I see they're about 60 miles north of you - they're at Camp Scatico near Elizaville/Kingston. Small world!
Regards.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners