Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #51
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Friends: (8)

Got to fly mine again yesterday...

http://bigwatts.shutterfly.com/

Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory!

AMA #964800
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #52
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

View Fly Time's Gallery17
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
Got to fly mine again yesterday...

http://bigwatts.shutterfly.com/
Would love to watch....but you have your preferences set to private, so I can't

Doug
Loves the sound of 50 amps through an outrunner!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #53
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Would love to watch....but you have your preferences set to private, so I can't

opps, sorry... fixed it

...only got still photos...

AMA #964800
Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #54
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

opps, sorry... fixed it

...only got still photos...
That's better

Looks great in the air!! I need to stop dinkin around with mine and get her up there too! I've been working on my flaps a few minutes at a time over the past few days. Once I am done with that (tonight!), the rest should go together really quickly. I do have some more mods in mind but nothing that can't be done after a few good flights.

Doug
Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #55
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Flaps are done! Here are some fuzzy pics and a crappy cell phone video.

My good camera, the one that my wife took to Mexico....never returned.
She lost it

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010011.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	154247 HXT-900 servo, pushrod, 3/32" music wire, copper tubing, Dubro nose wheel steering arm, hinges and epoxy

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	154248 All done and ready to test

Doug
Old 10-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #56
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

My 415 is just about ready to maiden

I spent a couple hours last night programming my radio and trying to organize all the wiring that goes with 2 motors, 2 ESC's, a UBEC and 5 servos. It's a lot!!

I did some program mixing on the radio to give me differential throttle for steering. I've heard that the water rudder is not very effective, so I did away with it altogether. Each motor is now on its own channel, mixed with the rudder. Move the rudder left and the RPM of the right motor increases, and vice versa. It was kind of a pain to set up, making sure that both motors are starting and spinning at the same rate as the throttle is advanced, but I think it's all dialed in now. I will check it with a tachometer to be sure.

Also slowed down the speed of the flaps and mixed in a little up elevator.

About the only things I have to do still are install the winglets and tip floats. I also want to beef up the wing saddle area as I decided to not install the wing struts. I think these braces are not so much for increasing wing strength as they are for spreading the load from the 4 wing attachment screws to lower on the fuselage. I think the same thing can be acheived with some reinforcements on the inside of the fuselage. Hopefully I'll get to that tonight.

Doug
Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #57
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

My CL-415 is ready and waiting for good flying weather. There is still quite a long list of improvements to make, but I want to fly it first. Mods so far:

* Higher power motors than recommended with 3-bladed props
* Removable cowlings
* Operational flaps
* Removed wing struts and strengthened wing attachment points
* Aileron servo wires and ESC leads hidden in foam in wing
* Wing tip floats attachment strengthened
* Water rudder removed and replaced with differential motor steering
* Added faux main landing gear wheels

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	154491 Float test

Doug
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #58
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Had a successful maiden flight this morning on a smooth-as-glass Lake Washington This plane flies great!

I have a few things to work out, including rebuilding the entire front of the fuselage after crashing nose-first into concrete on the third flight (the third flight did not go as well as the first or second).

At full throttle the left motor appears to be pulling harder than the right. Although it is something that I need to correcct, full throttle is way too much power anyway, so for all but a few seconds of each flight I was at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and exerienced no problems at all. Also with flaps down the plane tends to roll to the right. It was those two problems added together that lead to disaster....

I was trying my first full flap landing, with a sweeping left turn to final parallel to the shoreline. I had made several other very satisfying approaches just the same way, some with no flaps and a couple with half flaps. With the plane wanting to turn right with flaps extended (a correctable problem with some flap-aileron mixing), I needed to bank harder to the left to stay over the water, but instead of just staying with it I decided to power up and go around. Big mistake! 1/2 throttle at this point would have been plenty to pull back up and away from the shore, but I instinctively pushed the throttle all the way forward. The props grabed the cool morning air, and with the left motor turning faster than the right at anything over about 3/4 throttle, the plane pitched up and snap rolled right into a concrete walkway!

The front of the plane is completely mashed and broken into about a half dozen pieces. Surprisingly, I can see not so much as a scratch past the battery hatch, so I think the repairs will come together alright. I will post some pics later.

Doug
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #59
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Fly Time
Glad the maiden went well anyway!
Just be careful of flap/ aileron mixing to cure a yaw tendency as it could have some serious consequences near the stall, which sounds suspiciously like the problem you had on the third flight.
Aborting a landing with full flap set is something that should be carefully practised.
I would also try to establish why there is a difference in the motor speeds. You just don't want an extra yaw when you really need full power.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #60
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Post crash pic

Actually, I'm amazed the damage wasn't worse. I started the repair work tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7531.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	154635

Doug
Old 11-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #61
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
Fly Time
Glad the maiden went well anyway!
Just be careful of flap/ aileron mixing to cure a yaw tendency as it could have some serious consequences near the stall, which sounds suspiciously like the problem you had on the third flight.
Aborting a landing with full flap set is something that should be carefully practised.
I would also try to establish why there is a difference in the motor speeds. You just don't want an extra yaw when you really need full power.
Not to mention that on this specific plane the props are closer if not directly in front of the flaps vs in the center nose position.

-John

P.S. If you read my build post on this you'll notice i had the EXCACT same problem... one of my motors was binding a bit more than the other causing it to spin slower than the other... it's most likley your faster motor is the good one and you just need to replace the slower one.

AMA #964800
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #62
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Fly Time
Nice pic!
It certainly looks like the foam did its job and absorbed the impact locally rather than distributing the shock load down the fuselage as is common with wooden structures.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #63
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Not to mention that on this specific plane the props are closer if not directly in front of the flaps vs in the center nose position.

-John

P.S. If you read my build post on this you'll notice i had the EXCACT same problem... one of my motors was binding a bit more than the other causing it to spin slower than the other... it's most likley your faster motor is the good one and you just need to replace the slower one.
I will look at that too, but I am going to look at my programming mix first. Each of my motors is on a separate Rx channel so that I can mix with rudder for differential steering. Water handling was superb, and everything felt just right through most of the throttle range. But.....it had been awhile since I had done any complex programming in my radio, so it's possible that I didn't get it quite right

Doug
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #64
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
Fly Time
Nice pic!
It certainly looks like the foam did its job and absorbed the impact locally rather than distributing the shock load down the fuselage as is common with wooden structures.
I made some minor structural improvements inside the fuselage back by the wing saddle, and I think that helped to keep the damage localized to the area of impact. There is a guy over on RCG that nosed one of these straight in just like I did, and the damage on his extended all the way back to the trailing edge of the wing. My biggest task is to reform the foam that took the brunt of the hit. It is compressed pretty badly.

Doug
Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #65
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Airframe repairs are done, though there is some cosmetic work yet to go. Actually, A LOT of cosmetic work, but ar least it's back in one piece and resembling its former self. I used mostly Gorilla Glue and the heat from a hair dryer to stretch the crushed pieces back into shape.

I flew it again this morning and got all of the major bugs worked out. Motors are running at the same speed now after resetting the ESC's and I programmed a tiny bit of left aileron mix to the flaps. I also found that the left motor had an upward thrust angle relative to the right motor, so that may also have contributed to the plane's bad behavior at WOT. It flew much better with all those things worked out, though the air and water were a little choppier today.

Here are some pics of the repaired nose and some video from this morning.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1111112258.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	154739

Name:	1111112258a.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	154740

Doug
Old 11-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #66
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Nice Take off and landing Doug, You were having Way to much Fun

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #67
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Nice on board video! Best part-at about 2 minutes, what appears to be a seagull just leisurely glides past. Very cool!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #68
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Nice vid! A nice model of one of my favorite planes! (OF course, I'm the kind of plane nut that most of them are... ) Sorry if I may have missed it in an earlier post, but I was curious how you set it up to run the motors individually? Looks like almost a necessity for seaplanes if you have a multi, though I have no seaplane experience.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #69
Eyeguy

Friends: (0)

Just found this thread ! I recently did the first flights for a friend on his Canadair CL415 and really liked it ! The video is on Youtube called "Canadair CL415 from HobbyKing" (I was not able to post the link as this is my first Wattflyer post and I need 3 posts to be able to post a link ! )
He set it up using the recommended parts from HK. Differential throttle is a must, his plane does not have it and taxi steering can be a challenge. Now I'm motivated to build my own one.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #70
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

This plane really does fly great... especially with the right setup. I choose not to over power mine so i can get the more slow/scale flying experience.

It really is a show stopper at the field. In fact I was out a couple of weeks ago with mine and was literally making dozens of passes inches from the ground and people were amazed with how slow and low i could get to the grass. No water is needed for this bird! http://bigwatts.shutterfly.com/pictures/32

I'm thinking of getting me the gas version and converting it to electric... it just looks so much more real than the foam version. http://www.nitroplanes.com/cacltw0en80n1.html

Oh... and I get 25+ min of flight time with one 4200mAh Lipo... so the fun never ends!!!

AMA #964800
Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #71
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Nice on board video! Best part-at about 2 minutes, what appears to be a seagull just leisurely glides past. Very cool!
It was actually blue heron. They are gorgeous birds, especially in flight, and very common in this area. It flew past just after I took off, and I quickly tried to get into formation with him. I was trying to get him in frame a little more but he was only in view for a second in the video. He was out over the water a ways and it was difficult to judge how close I was to him. The last thing I wanted to do was hit him as they are not very manuverable birds

Doug
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #72
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Nice vid! A nice model of one of my favorite planes! (OF course, I'm the kind of plane nut that most of them are... ) Sorry if I may have missed it in an earlier post, but I was curious how you set it up to run the motors individually? Looks like almost a necessity for seaplanes if you have a multi, though I have no seaplane experience.
This plane comes with a water rudder, but differential throttle steering is much more effective. There are two ways to do this. If you don't have a programmable radio you can use a v-tail mixer. I can't say for sure exactly how to set it up this way but I know it can be done by mixing rudder and throttle channels through the mixer.

For mine, I used programming mixes (3 total) in the radio. One motor is on the throttle channel and the other is on the aux channel (I have a 7 channel JR radio). First, I slave the auxilary channel to the throttle. This makes it so that both motors spin up at the same time even though they are on separate channels. Then I set a programming mix from the rudder channel to the throttle so that left rudder causes a 20% increase in the right motor. Then I set up another mix from the rudder to the aux channel so that right rudder will advance the left motor speed by 20%.

I may eventually switch to a v-tail mixer so that I can free up a channel for a water scoop and dump system. For that I will need to use the gear and aux channels, so I will either have to get a 8 or 9 channel radio or use the v-tail mixer.

Doug
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #73
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Oh... and I get 25+ min of flight time with one 4200mAh Lipo... so the fun never ends!!!
That just seems like too much battery for this plane I use a 2200 and after 5-6 mintues I switched batteries. When I got home I found I had only run them down about 25%, so with some throttle management 10-12 minute flights should be no problem.

Doug
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #74
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Just found this thread ! I recently did the first flights for a friend on his Canadair CL415 and really liked it ! The video is on Youtube called "Canadair CL415 from HobbyKing" (I was not able to post the link as this is my first Wattflyer post and I need 3 posts to be able to post a link ! )
Is this your video? If so, nice flying!!

Smooth and level turns are what I strive for when flying scale, and you do it well. A few more flights to get the bugs worked out (and my confidence back up after crashing!) and I hope to be doing the same with mine

Doug
Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #75
Eyeguy

Friends: (0)

It is mine indeed. This plane looks great when flown in a scale manner.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered