Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Albatross

Friends: (0)
Default E-Flite Power 32 for a 6.5-7 lb Rascal 40??

Hi All,
I've been flying an electric conversion of my SIG Rascal 40 (72" wingspan) for about 1.5 yrs and it has been going ok with a Turnigy 3548, 900 kV motor, 60Amp ESC, 4s 5000 mAh lipo and a 12x8 Master Airscrew Electric Only prop. Last weekend though, it went deadstick as a result of the motor packing it in. I think that motor may have been a little undersized and I'm thinking of replacing it with an E-Flite Power 32 (basically 42 mm diam and 770 kV). The catch is I don't want to change anything else and the plane weighs between 6.5-7 lbs.

I ran an online motor calculator that indicated this might draw 50A at full throttle and 13.88V for the battery. I don't usually fly hard and the motor continuous current rating is 42A so it would probably be ok but, for peace of mind, ... I want to ask if anybody here is flying a similar Power 32 setup and weight of aircraft? If so, what current are you pulling at a given throttle setting, do you have enough power or how about some free advice?

Thanks, in advance for any wisdom you can pass on,
Dave
Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

I am going to be using a 32 size brushless motor from Turnigy in my Super Cub (68" wing span spinning a 14X7 prop) but saving a few dollars over Eflite's by purchasing Turnigy motor, much easier to do now a days too with their "Easy Match" motors that size them similar to glow size.

Turnigy 32

I am thinking with the Rascal you might want to size it to a 40 size

Turnigy 46

I think either would work better than what you have, just depends on the power set up you want. I think most people I know who were flying Sig Rascal 40 had .46 glow engines in them like the Super Tiger.

Just my .02$
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Albatross

Thanks RC
Actually I thought of that option too and I looked at fitting the Power 46 into the fuse (borrowed a friend's to see if it fits). The 50 mm motor can clears the sides of the fuse by about 3/16-1/4" but the cross mount is very very tight.
Dave
Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Albatross

The other thing about the Turnigy's is that those two are too big and all of the other possibles are on backorder.
Dave
Old 07-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Albatross

Hmmm, actually they reversed the dimension format diameters are 42 diam and 50 diam, like the eFlite, but the max current ratings are like EFlite too. So same question applies to the Turnigy ones.

So I guess the question is still, is anybody actually running something like this and how is it working out?
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I think the Power 32 will be very minimal power for that. It will get it into the air, but don't think it will much if any reserve for a 6.5lb+ model.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

The plane will fly OK at that power if you are not looking for a fast wild flying plane. Your looking at something like 80 watts per pound and that is like J-3 Cub flying. Just putting around the sky. If you are looking for some excitement, and like some wild flying, the you may be disappointed. Like I said, it will fly it, but not a lot of reserve power there for good vertical. I think you may want to rethink using that small a power plant unless you are just looking to fly around on a lazy afternoon and not interested in going crazy. I like to stay above 125 Watts per pound and like around 150 Watts the best, but that is just me.............

Ed
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Hi All,
I've been flying an electric conversion of my SIG Rascal 40 (72" wingspan) for about 1.5 yrs and it has been going ok with a Turnigy 3548, 900 kV motor, 60Amp ESC, 4s 5000 mAh lipo and a 12x8 Master Airscrew Electric Only prop. Last weekend though, it went deadstick as a result of the motor packing it in. I think that motor may have been a little undersized and I'm thinking of replacing it with an E-Flite Power 32 (basically 42 mm diam and 770 kV). The catch is I don't want to change anything else and the plane weighs between 6.5-7 lbs.

I ran an online motor calculator that indicated this might draw 50A at full throttle and 13.88V for the battery. I don't usually fly hard and the motor continuous current rating is 42A so it would probably be ok but, for peace of mind, ... I want to ask if anybody here is flying a similar Power 32 setup and weight of aircraft? If so, what current are you pulling at a given throttle setting, do you have enough power or how about some free advice?

Thanks, in advance for any wisdom you can pass on,
Dave
Much more $$$$, but check out the Hacker A40-10L. They are well made, and can be run at the provided specs with no problems. I've run mine on an 8 pound P51 with 6S2P A123 cells at 1KW with no issues. And it can do it at near 90% efficiency.

Now, its in a third model (5 pounds) with a 6S1P A123 pack, pulling about 750 watts. That pulls the 5 pound model straight up out of sight.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems