Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
jensheydel

Club: no interest in clubs
Friends: (1)
Smile Nieuport 17 scratchbuild out of the scrap box

Hello everyone,

I am at the moment trying to piece together a Nieuport 17 which will later be decorated to resemble the Nieuports the Swiss Air Force purchased during WW 1. The plans were found online (thank you !!) but are likely incorrect in many details, but let us not get hung up over small details. As long as it flies I am happy enough.

I have attached a link which goes to photobucket, there are two albums. The first one contains all the pictures to date of the build the second will eventually also contain videos of the model.

The model is a free flight Nieuport 17 converted to rc. It is about 1/16th in scale and should be considered a "sort of scale model". I am making the model out of the remnants of various build leftovers mostly just to clear out the scrap box as this thing is getting overfilled .

I will fill in the details as I go along. Rather than post all of the pics here directly I will just ask all of you to simply follow the link below as the details to each picture are also noted there. Hopefully this is acceptable , click on "view as slideshow" and the show starts on its own.

I tend to build slowly so do please be patient. thanks and enjoy

Jens

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/jensheydel/
Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
Ryan Flyer
K Close's friend

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (11)

WoW that is amazing! Very nice build! I look forward to fallowing along as you finish it up!
Patrick

WG1 Pilot
Come see the greatest show off earth at Cole Palen's Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome!http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
jensheydel

Thank you Patrick,

I think it will be awhile yet before it is finished but check back every now and then and have a peek at the pictures. I add pictures as the build progresses along with descriptions of what I used and how it was done. Nothing really new or world moving but maybe fun to read nonetheless. Glad you enjoyed the show thus far.

Jens
Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I have a big scrap box of balsa myself and was wondering how to get rid of it ,iam sighned up. joe
Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Beautiful work.
I have the Profile Publications pamphlet on my computer, it's 4 mb.
Too large to post.
If you PM me your e mail I can send you a copy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n17wip.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	151168  
Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
jensheydel

Hello Joe,

We all have those awful boxes full of scraps, left overs, unused electronics and Lord knows what else is in there waiting to see the light of day. I say recycle all of that dusty old stuff. The nose on my Nieuport is sheeted with 0.6mm balsa but do not ask how many small bits I had ... not one piece large enough for any single surface so I had to piece it all together, end result instead of spending more money I got one more thing out of the scrap box.

Hello PD1,

I greatly appreciate the offer will send over the PM ... probably will frustrate me to no end LOL as then all the mistakes in the plans I have will come to light but like I said at the beginning it is only a "sort of scale" model. If it was really scale I would have to build a nice cylinder radial in 1/16 scale (not likely LOL). Nonetheless having fun clearing out the junk box and if the junk can be coaxed to fly ... all the better.

Jens

Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Where do you buy your balsa at in germany jens ? Is it the same cost as here? Some nieuports for ya http://mars.ark.com/~mdf/N_11.html If you go to the main page they have some 17,s joe
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
jensheydel

Hello Joe,

Thank you so much for that link I stored it on the laptop for reference when the time come for paint . As far as wood goes ... long story ... whenever the time comes to buy wood I have three stores I can visit. Typically what the one shop does not have I can get at the next but usually a wood purchase means a bit of running around. The hobby shop in Dresden carries some sizes but quite often is sold out, the gentleman who operates the shop always has something in stock but rarely everything. Next stop is the artist supply store, a huge place that at times has a great variety and at other times nearly nothing, if that fails then there is a large discount hardware store that oddly enough carries quite a bit of stuff. Between the three I can get anything I need but it usually takes a day to go through the whole process of getting building materials.

Prices vary, a sheet of good quality Andino balsa from Graupner in the thin sizes I commonly work with can cost 2 to 3 Euros. Plywood in the thin sizes is usually inexpensive but most readily found at the artist supply store. The thicker balsa sheets can cost from 2 to 5 Euros but the quality is very good so the discount hardware store gets the business.

One needs to be patient here when shopping LOL. I used to live in the USA but that was some time ago so I could not make a comparison between where you and here. But as a general rule you do pay a bit more here than in the USA. Electronics are expensive as we have an 18 % tax on this sort of stuff. There are a number of very competent online shops I can get materials from but I rarely make use of it. Wood is a material where I prefer to selct it myself as opposed to letting it all up to lady luck and the mood of the person running the warehouse .

Jens

Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
degreen60
Flying Fish

Send a message via ICQ to degreen60 Send a message via Yahoo to degreen60
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by jensheydel View Post
Hello Joe,

If it was really scale I would have to build a nice cylinder radial in 1/16 scale (not likely LOL). Nonetheless having fun clearing out the junk box and if the junk can be coaxed to fly ... all the better.

Jens
Go here, pick the motor you want, enlarge it to size you need. On one of my planes I made a double strip of paper to fit motor bell. Cylinders are wrapped around foam and glued on the paper strip. Cylinders turn when the motor runs. On slow fly by you can see the turning cylinders sticking out the open bottom of the cowl. On another plane I only made enough cylinders to fill the open bottom of the cowl. On that plane I just made the cylinders hollow paper tubes. http://www.sero-papermodels.com/content.do?page=page.2_download2

Now for my last stunt, a forward flip on landing.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,179 Times in 2,086 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Beautiful Build Jens, i like the shock absorbing landing gear, but i still need steel for my landing gear LOL, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Its amasing the stuff we go through to get some good balsa . I get mine from national balsa and have had good luck with buying nice balsa . Before i found them i would go to two different hobby shops and a hardware store that stocked some . Iam still going to try building 1 with foam soon but i like working with balsa . Looking forward to your progress jens . Jens i build slow also so dont worry about posting and rushing your build. joe
Old 07-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
jensheydel

Hi Degreen,

Actually I was thinking of a fully functional radial in 1/16th scale (not likely LOL) but yes ofcourse a paper version will work. I chose to simply scale a photo of the radial and glued it to a circle made of thin ply, then I drilled a correct sized hole and attached placed this between the propellor mount and the motor itself. A small rubber ring presses the ply against the motor. This gives the illusion of a rotary when the plane is flying (or so I hope LOL), good part is it weighs next to nothing, cannot fall apart and needs no balancing. More than a few feet away the illusion is complete.

Hi Chellie,

Thank you for the compliment , steel in this size model could be the difference between flying and just taxiing around ... so it had to be light. Ofcourse lightweight means the frame is not as impact resistant so some means to absorb some impact was a good idea ... thankfully those WW1 planes had simple to duplicate systems and the amount of travel is just right. Its not that my landings are bad but from time to time I do tend to sort of dump them hard on the field .... so a bit of protection goes a long way.

Hi Joe,

I forgot to thank you for the link ... sorry about that. I had that one but forgot to save it so good thing you sent it to me.

Jens

Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
jensheydel

Hey Joe,

I have built (and sadly crashed) a few foamies to date. Foam is fun cheap and easy to work with, you would be amazed how quickly you can pop together something that flies. I usually get really good foam from the artist store and it is miles cheaper than the same product from the LHS . Depron works great only disadvantage is that the stuff must be handled with utmost care. Imagine the softest balsa you can find ... look at it funny and it has dent As easy as foam is I never really warmed up to the stuff ... I like all that sawdust all over the place (my wife hates it LOL) . Looking forward though to seeing your first runs with it.

Jens

Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
degreen60
Flying Fish

Here is some pictures of my paper engine that turns with the motor. Balance is not a problem cause the paper engine is so light. Every now and then it will throw a cylinder. I will not know the cylinder is missing till I happen to see it missing. One time I saw something fly away from the plane, when I landed 3 cylinders were missing in one place. On my planes that have a full cowl I just print a picture of a motor and glue it to the inter lip of the cowl. I don't even make it spin.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motor 001.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	151200   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor 002.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	151201   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor 003.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	151202  

Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I got rid of wife 10 years ago but my girlfriend does not like balsa either .My work shop is in the basemant but our dog rolls around in the balsa dust and tracks it up stairs. She,tinker, looks very nice in this picture but she chewed up santa just after the picture was taken.lol Foam is a new beast for me but i will give it a try .I know its not as long lasting as a well built balsa model as i have models i built 30 years ago with silk and dope and still fly them but i like some of the foam plans out now. Iam trying to line up plans now for a canard e plane, but having no luck so far i will draw my own and maybe start a build thread. joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0387.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	151203  
Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,179 Times in 2,086 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I got rid of wife 10 years ago but my girlfriend does not like balsa either .My work shop is in the basemant but our dog rolls around in the balsa dust and tracks it up stairs. She,tinker, looks very nice in this picture but she chewed up santa just after the picture was taken.lol Foam is a new beast for me but i will give it a try .I know its not as long lasting as a well built balsa model as i have models i built 30 years ago with silk and dope and still fly them but i like some of the foam plans out now. Iam trying to line up plans now for a canard e plane, but having no luck so far i will draw my own and maybe start a build thread. joe
Hi Joe I cant help you with the Girlfriend and the Sawdust, but here are some plans for a Foamy Canard LOL

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=465337&page=3

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #17
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Lol no one can help me with the girlfriend chellie thats why iam still single. Thanks for the foamy canard plan ,i know you cant wait to see me build with foam and i hope i take a liking to it a little . I just figured out most of bending and making alot of balsa dust building. Iam a old dog and dont want to learn to many new tricks. lmao Thanks again chellie it looks like a winner. joe
Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #18
degreen60
Flying Fish

Here is an easy way to make a Lewis gun for the Nieuport. I am including an updated pdf file you can print to make the gun. I print the file, glue one side of the gun on thin foam, dinner tray has good foam for this. Cut out the foam then glue the other side of the gun on the foam. Glue the other odd parts on foam and add to the gun. Barrels are hollow plastic cotton swabs handles. The gun in the picture was destroyed in a crash. I think the updated file makes an even better looking gun.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	se5agunlewis 001.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	151235   Click image for larger version

Name:	se5agunlewis 003.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	151236  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lewis10pdf.pdf (175.0 KB, 121 views)

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #19
jensheydel

Hi Degreen,

Nice work on the machine gun, if IIRC the Swiss version I am after had a fuselage mounted single machine gun slightly to the right from center. I have a couple of pictures of said gun and will build that one (possibly a Vickers or browning??). The upper wing mount seems awfully exposed to me since WW 1 planes like to do the occasional nose-over (when the landing is less than perfect) so I think best to go with the fuselage mounted gun. I like that rotary motor you made up but the idea of losing cylinders every now and then is risky as these could jam the motor?? I went with the picture of the motor on a disk of plywood, easy to do and foolproof.

Tonight I will begin to piece together the horizontal tail ... fun to do since there are some nice curved pieces on there I need to get glued up.

Jens

Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
degreen60
Flying Fish

I have both the Vickers and Browning paper gun files. I have made several of the Vickers for my planes. I made my first Vickers using foam cylinder, then I wrapped the paper around a large straw, now I cut long strip of paper and roll it into a tube with the printed part on the outside. When I cut the foam for the body of the gun I make the front part long enough to go into the tube about half way. I have not tried making a Browning yet so those files are raw. If you would like the files let me know.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plane 007.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	151257  

Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #21
jensheydel

So after a bit of a break, the lousy weather here in Germany is allowing a day to work on the Nieuport, the vertical stab. is ready for covering.

Jens

Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #22
jensheydel

A new video and a bunch of new pics are up.

Jens

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era