Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
littleimp

Friends: (0)
Default Can see an intro section so just saying Hi

Can't see an intro section so just saying Hi. Coming back into flying after a 5 year break but this time with a castor oil free diet. I dabbled in electrics before but technology has moved on so much that I'll be going all electric. I don't fly anything above 1.20 4-stroke size and electric power is easily do-able upto this size nowadays. I was completely shocked when I bought a copy of RCME a few weeks ago about just how much things have changed. It's wonderful, feel like a kid reborn!!

Anyways, have just ordered a fusion lx60b pro charger, watt meter, fireproof bag and also treated myself to a hitec aurora 9. I have a cmpro cessna untouched and an acrowot to convert in the future but i'm going to buy a foamie cub just to get me wings back again.

What capacity leisure batteries do you chaps use? Would a 85ah be Ok for sport use? Don't fancy plugging into car for charging while at the patch.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Welcome to wattflyer IMP.

You will have to give a little more info on the foamy cub you are talking about. A 85 MAH battery is a single cell batterry for the micro planes. I don't think you are talking about a micro plane are you?
John
Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

Hi and Welcome. Where are you?
Henry
Old 07-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
littleimp

I'm in Essex, UK. The battery I'm talking about is a caravan/boat battery for charging lipo's down the club, I was wondering if a 85ah would suffice for an afternoons flying charging.

Here's the cub, I believe they also do it in ww2 invasion stripes scheme too. Can't post link as new poster I'm afraid but the same model seems to be marketed under several different brands. 1400mm span, comes with everything needed. Ideal trainer type.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

WEll you just post a couple more times and you will be able to provide a link to the plane. With a 1400mm wing span and invasion strips are you talking the grasshopper cub, or is that the Piper L 4.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (87)

Welcome to Wattflyer!!!man of us have rooms full of old fuel planes that haven't seen daylight in years as the ease of use being 80% less hassle,,go on and get yourself a nice sportplane as your a flyer already, there's no difference flying them except the motor will NEVER STALL so you won't have to dead-stick,,,,,,,ever, ( unless your feel nostalgic) there's a low voltage cut-off in you speed control that cuts the motor off if you fly to long but still saves enough to run servos (and dead stick like I said you wouldn't have too!!HaHaaa!) never fly you lipos down that far as it's Bad for them,,use a cheap dollar store timer to save your lipos and make them last MUCH LONGER ,,, For a 100$ an change you can get a good plane as you have a TX already, There's a great fuel to Watt power conversion thread here on WattFlyer and a Great mess -O-Wattheads to help,,, I've made life-long Flying Buddies here and have flown with so many of them I've met here (dozens Of BUBS!!) Looking forward to see what you end up flying!!your bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
littleimp

Cheers, I am really looking forward to the electric side of things, the cub is the grasshopper version. Same planes seems to be called different things though as a lot of these artf's seem to be sold under different brand names. Saw one at w&w a few weeks back and thought it would be ideal to get me flying quickly. They do a bnf version so hopefully will work with the aurora tx but I've got a hitec optima 7 receiver if not. That's another thing that's changed big time too. 2.4ghz. It was just getting going with the spectrum version when i flew last. My favourite in r/c is scale, especially ww2 which is why I picked the invasion cub. EDF jets look like a big thing now though so will propabaly dabble with these in the future. Whatever I choose though it's definitely going to be electric every time. A lot less fuss and a lot cleaner too.

Does anyone else use a battery to charge at the field or do you take enough lipo's for the day?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by littleimp View Post

Does anyone else use a battery to charge at the field or do you take enough lipo's for the day?
I find batteries to be so affordable these days that I always bring more batteries with me than I have time to fly. Most of what I fly uses the same batteries so I don't have to worry too much about having enough for each plane I bring.
But many I know will bring a handful of batteries and charge them while flying the others. This only works with a proper charger as if you were to try that with vendor supplied charger you'd run out of time before the battery was recharged .

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

Welcome back! Someone asked your location ....?

"Does anyone else use a battery to charge at the field or do you take enough lipo's for the day?"

I bring a charger but usually have enough batteries for the day. If I fly one plane more than I thought I would, I can charge some at the field.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

I asked, Must be a secret. I see it now. Far, Far Away
Henry
Old 07-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
squidger

Friends: (3)

Hi and welcome to Wattflyer. If you have flown before and are getting back into it why don't you try a WOT4 Foamy. Nice and cheap and a really stable flyer. Comes with motor,esc and servos for 99 http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...172/index.html All you'll need is your new radio and a lipo. As you have previous experience you will be flyin it like a pro in minutes trust me.

It really does fly as good as the vid shows.

"http://www.youtube.com/v/Bshw6t-wjhY...</param><param
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
littleimp

I live in Clacton-on-Sea which is on the essex coast in the UK. Supposedly the sunniest place in the UK. No model shops but I buy everything online now anyways. 2 clubs quite close but have friends at one so will be flying with them at the 'Harwich & District Model Flying Club'.

Here's a video compilation of so how not too's from the club!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions