Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Drifter

Friends: (0)
Default ST Model Discovery - newbie review

I got this plane to replace the Waco that I crashed, and I finally got suitable weather for it's maiden flight. The plane is sold in the USA as the Flyzone Sensei.

The plane goes together very well, it's solidly built with C/F bracing in the wings and elevators and a wooden brace in the tail section. Plenty of room in the radio bay for your receiver, and a generous battery bay up front. In between there is a large payload bay which is used to mount the optional bomb drop module.

Pre-flight I lined up all the control surfaces and checked the CG. I had to add a fair bit of weight at the front to make it balance. The motor is reasonably powerful, and the wheels are a decent size for tarmac landings.

I was very nervous on the maiden after what happened to the Waco, but it wasn't going to fly by itself so (with an audience of club members ) it was up-up and away!!

And it flies really, really well! Very stable, great lift and just goes where you point it. It's very neutral though which makes it a bit sensitive on the ailerons, but it didn't do anything nasty and forgave me for a couple of little mistakes (the same mistake that killed the Waco). I did 5 slightly wobbly circuits before going for a landing. Even slowing down it stayed stable, was no problem to line up and it almost landed itself.

I love it already, it didn't even need any trim, though I may trim the elevator back a click. What a great aircraft! Beginners can fly this, as long as you are ready for the sensitive elevators. When I get a better transmitter I will put some exponential on the ailerons to make it smoother in the centre.

Trainee pilot
Plane: ST Model Discovery - awaiting repairs
Heli: E-Flite Blade SR - training in progress
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
squidger

Friends: (3)

I maidened one of these for a friend at the club and was amazed at how stable and predictable it was. You're right it does practically land itself. I like ST models. They are always well made and well thought out. The discovery even has a steerable nosewheel that works well. The owner has little experience but was looping and rolling it on his second flight and successfully landing after a few more. Lovely model.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Captainchris

Friends: (1)

Finally someone has mentioned this plane...
I bought this a few months ago, and am a beginner and learned to fly on my own.
This plane is brilliant, and it takes rough landings well

I have looked all over the net and not many people write anything about it, but the guy at model shop said it was real good, so bought it and never looked back.

The only downside i have found with this plane, is if you damage the front, to get to the engine etc, you have to cut the foam to get to it! but i bought a new fuselage and now hold it on with tape so i can get it off with out hacking it to pieces then glueing it again..

great plane, nice to fly and have just flown it upside down and it handled that too ( and yea i was nervous)

Enjoy the flying with this plane, and it handles wind well, but any gusts on lnading, then it gets very interesting :-)
Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Drifter

And I've smashed this one up too

I don't know where to go from here, I've thrown away a lot of money and I'm not sure I want to risk that again.

Trainee pilot
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Captainchris

Dude dont give up. Get the glue out and patch it up. I've done that on this plane and still flies!

Get some epoxy stuff stick it together and then put it back in the air. Height is your friend! Take it up as High as you can trim it out then relax. This plane flies straight once trimmed with no hands them gentle on the sticks

Glue it back dude it will fly.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Drifter

I'll need to take off the cowling at the front to see what damage I did to the motor, I need a new prop, the fuselage is snapped completely in half and is in several pieces, and I need a new wing and fixing screws.

I got it up and it got turned crosswind. From then on I could not control it, everything happened very fast, I could not get it to climb going downwind and when I tried to get it back into the wind I was over-controlling and it went in very fast. I've chosen the wrong plane again

Not at all happy with myself right now, and I don't feel like spending any more money on it if it's something I just can't do. I had a park flier before and it never flew because it was always too windy.

I really don't know what to do. Get something small and very cheap that can fly in small spaces? Another parkflier?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
RightFly
No Clique Zone

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I'll need to take off the cowling at the front to see what damage I did to the motor, I need a new prop, the fuselage is snapped completely in half and is in several pieces, and I need a new wing and fixing screws.

I got it up and it got turned crosswind. From then on I could not control it, everything happened very fast, I could not get it to climb going downwind and when I tried to get it back into the wind I was over-controlling and it went in very fast. I've chosen the wrong plane again

Not at all happy with myself right now, and I don't feel like spending any more money on it if it's something I just can't do. I had a park flier before and it never flew because it was always too windy.

I really don't know what to do. Get something small and very cheap that can fly in small spaces? Another parkflier?
Hi Drifter,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but as Captainchris says get some epoxy and glue her back together. I can appreciate your discouragement. As a beginner last fall and after a lot of sim hours, I thought I could jump right into an aileron plane.

Three flights with my Flyzone SkyFlyMax and three times in a tree along with three rebuilds later I started flying an HZ Champ when ever I could.

After logging about 10 hours of flight time I have noticed my responses to the airplanes movements are more instinctive and things that used to get me in trouble are nearly routine. (Still working up the courage to tackle an aileron plane)

As you indicated flying time is limited by the wind but in my area evenings are normally quite calm so I can get an hour or so in on those nights. You may already have some sim time logged but if not that is a step I would strongly recommend. A Champ is about $90 in the states, not sure what it would be in the UK, but it is hard to go wrong with this plane.

Best wishes and don't give up. You can do it!

Roger
Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Drifter,We can rebuild her. First dont throw any parts out and get them together . Small amounts of epoxy to rebuild her and if it does not fit back just right you can use tooth picks or sharp sticks to push into the foam to help hold it together better. Take your time and when you are done if it looks a little rough just get some trim tape and or decals to help dress her up again. When i was younger and could not afford a new plane but i could always find a plane in the trash at my club field from a crash . A week or two of putting it back together and some trim tape and i had a new plane. Oh! on the wings a little epoxy to get it back together then a strip of packing tape length ways realy makes them strong again and if you buy the tape that is a color it makes the plane easyer to see. Dont give up and good luck drifter. joe
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
Scruffy

View Scruffy's Gallery1
Friends: (2)

Hiya Drifter
Don't give up!!!! I started about 2 years ago. What I did was buy a profile combat plane, a aileron and elev. bank and yank. I also bought some sheets of depron foam and just traced the parts of the plane so I could have a supply of planes to learn on. I also got a sim. I had one of my first flights that sounds like yours. I think my batt. started going and I lost some power. I couldn't get the plane back so I spoted a netted batters cage and planted the plane in the net. This is pertty funny hope it make you smile Heres my last flight last sunday so don't give up re-build that Plane
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Nice video scruffy and i will have to try the net trick. I see by your avitar that you are flying zagi,s now . I just gave my first zagi to a newbee and he is having a blast with it . joe
Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
squidger

Don't give up Drifter. As has been said get it glued back together. Then find an accomplished flier to assist you and you will enjoy it.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
Captainchris

Sounds like you had a nose hit, which if it's like mine, it broke the foam insde where the engine sits.. i believe it does this to protect the motor. epoxy and it'll be fine, prop is about 1 where I am not expensive.
Get all the pieces and start to stick them together.As others have said, toothpicks are good, i also use tape on the joints just to be sure....
To get the nose off, cut down the seam with a small hacksaw, but careful as the wire goes through it. get inside, glue it together then glue back....
Or you can just buy the shell for 60'ish and put all the electrics back in, but i'd advise glue at the moment, so if ya crash it again ain't a new one.... get better then change the electrics.
This plane flies very nice, just need patience. Mine crashed so many times, I think it had more glue than foam in the end, then i swapped all the foam for new and now flies sooo well. I'd also say on take off use the trim for up elevator, this helps it take off and keep going up while u trim the rest, this is prob not the way to do it, but i want it to automatically go up while i sort the rest out, then sort the trim elevator so it flies straight....
Get back in the air, take ya time to fix it... it's all a good learning curve
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Drifter

I'll see if I can fix it up. It's not going to fly again for a while though while I practice on the simulator. I have more flight time on my little FP helicopter than on anything fixed wing

I'm also considering continuing with helis as I have many more places to fly them that are a lot closer than the flying field.

I'm just gutted to have ended up like this.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
Captainchris

Build it back up, it don't need to look good, just needs to be secure.. and all the parts word always a bonus

I never used a sim, but i think might be a good idea for you just to get the basics...
My first flight ended in a crash, and did the same as you but not snapped the body! My motor was wobbly and cut it up, glued it and put back together!
I was as frustrated as you, but keep going at it, once you get the basics and get your first landing ( doesn't have to be perfect, the way i look at it a good landing means you can fly it again) you will have such a smile on your face, then put it back up and have another go.....

chin up dude, get it fixed and get back to the field. this hobby is not only about flying but learning how to fix your plane too lol
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Chin up mate, take it from someone who's crashed more birds then you will ever even own. Sit it aside, be it a week, or a month, ignore it. Then walk back and take a look at it. You'll often find it wasn't as bad as you initially thought.

You'll say to yourself, "Hmm, I can fix that!" and you will. Not only will you get back your bird you'll start on your way to being able to repair any damage, and gain the skills to build one from a kit or from scratch.

You will soon find out it's often cheaper to patch one up then throw more dollars/pounds at another one. And something else, jumping from plane to plane without learning the ins and outs of each is hurting you. Until you can fly one with comfort, don't jump to another. Learn the basics first on one craft, it will make you more comfortable when you go on to the next.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Chin up mate, take it from someone who's crashed more birds then you will ever even own. Sit it aside, be it a week, or a month, ignore it. Then walk back and take a look at it. You'll often find it wasn't as bad as you initially thought.

You'll say to yourself, "Hmm, I can fix that!" and you will. Not only will you get back your bird you'll start on your way to being able to repair any damage, and gain the skills to build one from a kit or from scratch.

You will soon find out it's often cheaper to patch one up then throw more dollars/pounds at another one. And something else, jumping from plane to plane without learning the ins and outs of each is hurting you. Until you can fly one with comfort, don't jump to another. Learn the basics first on one craft, it will make you more comfortable when you go on to the next.
Lol i have a plane in my walk in closet that I crashed a year ago and i knocked the firewall ,motor,motor mount and landing gear off . I put it there to punish it but it was my fault so i am going to dig it out soon and fix her . I was more mad at myself in the first place. Fix it up and fly her drifter once the mad wears off. joe
Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
Drifter

Yeah, I'll get it fixed up I'm not going to rush it back in the air, I'll take some simulator time first.

I'm amusing myself flying my little Twister micro heli round the room, so I may yet continue with my heli flying while the Discovery is being repaired.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Glad you decided to give it a go ,it gets alot better the more you learn how to repair and build them . I have had the good luck that some of my guys i have taught how to fly are now building their own foamy and balsa planes. When i go to my club field i always have one or two come to get me to show me their latest build . Puts a BIG smile on my goofy face and theirs too. Good luck mate and if you need any advise about gluing her back together just pm me and i will try to help. joe
Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Drifter

I got the plane out today to see just how bad it was. There is good news and bad news.

Good news: The wings are OK. The chunk that broke off one of them will glue back on fine, the motor is OK, electrics OK, battery OK, tail feathers OK.

Bad news: Fuselage is a write-off as the front is bent off to the left badly and can't be straightened, prop and spinner broken.

If I break something, I do a proper job lol

So, now I take a step back and see what the costs are to fix it, then make sure I have help when I try flying her again.

Trainee pilot
Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I got the plane out today to see just how bad it was. There is good news and bad news.

Good news: The wings are OK. The chunk that broke off one of them will glue back on fine, the motor is OK, electrics OK, battery OK, tail feathers OK.

Bad news: Fuselage is a write-off as the front is bent off to the left badly and can't be straightened, prop and spinner broken.

If I break something, I do a proper job lol

So, now I take a step back and see what the costs are to fix it, then make sure I have help when I try flying her again.
You cant weigh the fuse down flat and glue a flat stick inside to hold it there ?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
Drifter

No, the piece is pretty much solid and the foam is crushed on that side.

Trainee pilot
Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #22
kevinm

every repair is different , and alike, my Sportavia i initially wrote off , picked up the many foam pieces from my neighbors field, put it in the box of the truck, decided to see how far together i could get it, (what could it hurt?) was missing a big piece , re-searched the truck, eureka found it, still missing the cowl as always (i should slap on anything, a likely bottle bottom would work) , re-aimed the motor, down, right, with no motor shaft visible between the prop adapter and motor it didnt get to bend the shaft in the can at all ! and it poked a 1" hole into hard dirt--
did the reassembly with fsca and kicker then painted epoxy over the whole front end--shied away from fiberglass cloth support-- hope its ok with better landings in the future
oh- different radio with the throttle on front, and took the wood stiffners out of the wing to wet n straighten them-- i really need to add some rudder- its waaay underuddered for how big it is

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010021.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	152193

Name:	P1010024.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	152194

Name:	p1010025.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	152195
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

No, the piece is pretty much solid and the foam is crushed on that side.
If solid i would cut it in half and then sand the side down that needs to be to get back to straight then a light filler for the crushed part . Its broke anyways what could you lose . joe
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
kevinm

during constant nose- ins of my wildhawk it was learned that foam stuck in boiling water re-finds its makers shape quite well
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
squidger

I'm with Kevin on this one. One of our club members crashed his discovery and the front was bent badly. He steamed it over a kettle while bending it back and it returned nicely. Then reinforced with some 3mm carbon fibre rod under the stickers on the side so cant really even see them. Flies lovely again.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners