Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)
Default key chain camera mount location?...i'm dizzy now!

wow! what a great day flying the skimmer glider with the key chain camera on board. i mounted it to the fuse side and aimed it slightly down in hopes to capture horizon vid's.

the camera worked great ,and the skimmer was pretty high up,only problem is the turning and lifts and dips in the thermals are making it impossible to watch without getting nausious....lol...i wouldn't dare post this for fear I'd give viewers air sickness or worse....

where is the best location on a plane to mount the key chain camera,i thought under the wing would reduce the movement ....but in this case i was wrong.

i also mounted it on the landing gear of the uproar but there was a pendulum effect . my hopes doing that was to clear the prop and not get that screwed up prop visual...lol...

any suggestions on how to get the best videos would be greatly appreciated.....i hope to figure out how to smooth the vids and share what i get. i even am considering splicing sections of filming and run it in slow motion. just have to see if the movie maker program will accomplish this.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

how are you mounting it. i use velcro. i can place a patch in differnt location on the plane. tails, wings, above canopies.

the velcro dampens alot if vibration:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sonixsp?feature=mhee

Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

Velcro also,and i use a rubber band to make sure it doesn't let go in flight.

the question i need to understand is if theres a "best" place to mount it where the movement of the plane is less than other locations. i figured the closer to the fuse and wing area is better than say the wing tip.

something just occurred to me,i was floating high up in thermals without using the motor......clearly if i had bee flying under power the video would've been smoother with far fewer turns.....dooooh,next time i send the skimmer up to "speck in the sky" height I'll fly around for a few minutes to check this idea out. today was a great soaring day and i didn't think about the motion of the camera.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
wow! what a great day flying the skimmer glider with the key chain camera on board. i mounted it to the fuse side and aimed it slightly down in hopes to capture horizon vid's.

the camera worked great ,and the skimmer was pretty high up,only problem is the turning and lifts and dips in the thermals are making it impossible to watch without getting nausious....lol...i wouldn't dare post this for fear I'd give viewers air sickness or worse....

where is the best location on a plane to mount the key chain camera,i thought under the wing would reduce the movement ....but in this case i was wrong.

i also mounted it on the landing gear of the uproar but there was a pendulum effect . my hopes doing that was to clear the prop and not get that screwed up prop visual...lol...

any suggestions on how to get the best videos would be greatly appreciated.....i hope to figure out how to smooth the vids and share what i get. i even am considering splicing sections of filming and run it in slow motion. just have to see if the movie maker program will accomplish this.
Way back when, I started out with an actual 8 mm movie camera on my 10 foot wingspan sailplane. Until finding out it cost $18 for each 3 minute film clip anyhow.

Then, put a 1 pound video camera on my 150% Electrostreak, bolted to the underside of the fuse under the wing. The camera was aimed downward about 20 degrees, to get the prop somewhat out of the field of view.

Last, one of those keychain cameras was used, with a piece of velcro to the left hand wingtip. Didn't find much difference in video performance as compared to bolted to the fuse. Except while doing a taxi for take off and landing anyhow.

At any rate, that tiny little keychain camera actually provided better video than that one pound video camera! Only problem is never found how to turn off the date code on the video camera. People have had suggestions, but none of them really worked.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
ggunners

Send a message via AIM to ggunners
Friends: (0)

The best video will be shooting out the front with a pusher prop or out the back with a tractor set up.

Think of it this way, the less the scene changes, the better the video. So wild aerobatics should be avoided. Fast turns should not be used either.

The lack of motion makes better video quality because the small computer in the camera does less work when the scene does not change very fast. At 30 frames per second, the camera must look at a new frame every 1/30th of a second and record the difference between the prior frame and the current frame and then encode it to the memory chip.

A lot of folks will also put a cheap gyro on the roll axis to avoid the rocking you mentioned.

I have the 808 #11 HD version and am experimenting as we speak. So far, the glider has provided the smoothest video. Working on a better mount and adding the gyro.

-- ggunners
Old 08-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
At any rate, that tiny little keychain camera actually provided better video than that one pound video camera! Only problem is never found how to turn off the date code on the video camera. People have had suggestions, but none of them really worked.
Check this video:

I found that in IMovie (Mac) when you do the editing, if you switch to wide screen mode, it clips the date code!

When I edit using WMM, I havent found that feature...

Also, I have found a gyro on the pitch axis really effective on shorter airplanes like a slow stick:

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography