Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
PKNEC

Friends: (1)
Default Rotating nose left align 450 pro

Ok folks I have a problem with a new build and I am puzzled as to what to do to resolve the issue.
Heli keeps rotating nose left it's the pro version with align 780 gyro
On the ground with sticks at centre the tail is centered and the servo arm is at 90.
I have repeatedly done the limit check and all is fine with no binding.
I am using a Futaba 7c tx and 617 rx
Using opposite trim doesn't seem to help.
Any help greatly appreciated
cheers,
Paul
Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
RUSH

Is it spinning uncontrollably, or just a slow drift? If uncontrollably, try reversing the gyro output to the servo.

If it's just drifting, then it's possible that you're bumping the heli on plugging it in which is giving the gyro a false center when it boots up. Also check if it's in heading hold mode.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
PKNEC

Thanks for your reply Rush.
The action of the heli is a slow drift which can be counteracted with a tiny bit of right rudder to keep it centered.
How can I check for heading hold mode.
Cheers,
Paul
Old 08-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
RUSH

Should be set up from the channel you plugged the gain wire into on the rx (ch 5). The radio has a gyro gain menu that you can change. Any gain from 50% to 100% is heading hold - below is for rate mode which will drift if you don't set up the linkage mechanically to stop it. Try 80% and see if that works then if the tail wags quickly, lower it till it stops. Or if the tail either doesn't wag or wags really slowly back and forth make it higher till it starts to wag quickly then back off a little.

Try looking up Finless Bob's videos too - he has some great setup vids if you need them. Or if I'm not making sense

I know a lot of people have had problems with the qc on these, hopefully you won't, but keep that in mind as well.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
th0rg0d
Fan Junkie/Heli Novice

Friends: (0)

Paul,
I don't know if you solved your problem, but one thing I was taught was that with rudder centered, arm at 90*, you should have 2-3* pitch in tail blades. Also assuming everything was built correctly, I would check for proper belt tension. Too tight or loose could cause either binding, or slippage respectively, which would prevent the tail from achieving proper rotor speed. Let us know if you've already solved your problem.

Thor
Old 09-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
PKNEC

Hi mate been out of action for a week or two due to a wipe out.
It was caused by the vertical stabiliser mounting which has a pin that is supposed to locate through the tail mount and boom but for some reason it either wasnt long enough in the first place or has sheared off and caused the tail to rotate leading to a crash.
Metal version on order.
But when i do get it back up i will build in a little offset on the tail and see if that solves the issue.
Cheers,
Paul
Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
th0rg0d
Fan Junkie/Heli Novice

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get up in the air soon!!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
....... The radio has a gyro gain menu that you can change. Any gain from 50% to 100% is heading hold - below is for rate mode which will drift if you don't set up the linkage mechanically to stop it.......
I would like to point out here that many posts talk about HH and rate settings on radios and make one error repeatedly ...

NOT all radios are 50% and above Heading Hold and 49% to less on rate mode.

There are many radios out there that actually have +0 up to +100% on Heading Hold and -0 down to -100% for Rate mode ...

Not saying this thread radio is that way ... but it pays to read the manual to make sure of what settings ranges are actual for the radio.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
th0rg0d
Fan Junkie/Heli Novice

Great point! Are you insinuating that everyone doesn't fly with a Spectrum? Blasphemy!!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by th0rg0d View Post
Great point! Are you insinuating that everyone doesn't fly with a Spectrum? Blasphemy!!
OMG !! Is that possible ??

To be honest I fly with :

RTF Lanyu cheapo Chinese 35Mhz ... about $15 for fixed wing

RTF 6EHP CP Helicopter 2.4Ghz radio ... about $50 for 450 CP Heli

FlySky 9X with FrSky module .... about $150 incl. FrSky change for multiple fixed wing and heli 450

Jr Propo SSS 35Mhz from 1980's ..... about $600 then !! for fixed wing, when I get my replacement xtals.

Spektrum ... who are they ? There are OTHER radios out there that don't have plastic clips holding trim buttons etc. !! :rolle yes:

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
th0rg0d
Fan Junkie/Heli Novice

Paul,
I now own a 780, so maybe I can better help trouble shoot your problem. Once the gyro initializes, if the light is green, you're in heading hold. If the light is red, you're in rate mode. I'm speculating here, but I'm guessing you are drifting in heading hold. Do you have any subtrim dialed in on your rudder channel? Also, verify that the gyro is set for the correct servo signal for your servo. Did you set the travel adjust through the gyro, or via your transmitter?
Those are the things I'd check first, if you are mechanically sound.

mCPx, Trex 250SE, Mini Titan, Swift 16

alula, Polecat
Old 10-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Haven't heard anything back from the guy as to whether he's fixed it ...

But will make a comment after reading last post ... Gyros HATE any trim adjustment you make on Tx ... that makes the Gyro hunt and drift or wandering can result.
Always let the Gyro hold the direction ... NOT you unless it needs input from STICK to correct or change direction.

I never thought about this until it was pointed out to me by an experienced Trex flyer ...

Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
PKNEC

Right lads looks like the problem is solved, amazing what a good wipeout can solve. Lol
Anyway after repairing it ( and it was the cheap plastic vertical stabiliser mount that broke) I set the gyro up as the manual plus in rate mode then switched to HH mode and so far so good, now we just need some decent weather to fly.
Cheers all for your input and I will report back in a week or so weather dependant on the progress.
PB
Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
th0rg0d
Fan Junkie/Heli Novice

Good to hear! I hope you were able to figure out what was wrong or different during the rebuild.

mCPx, Trex 250SE, Mini Titan, Swift 16

alula, Polecat
Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
bobby1699

+1 Thorgod . I always built in +2-3* of pitch at neutral stick..

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk