Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
reef_rc

Friends: (0)
Default Biplane suggestions / thoughts on the following under consideration

OK WWI veterans, I am looking for thoughts on this. I've been pondering a tough question now that I have had a taste feel for biplane and I like it. Even though I've only had PZ SE5a for a little over 1-2 weeks, I like it and feel I should add another biplane to my collection for fun (btw - my UMX Beast is already on the way). I am currently considering the following mostly due to their larger size (35" or larger) and availability. I would like a parkflyer that can handle mild wind (10-12 mph) if at all possible.
  • E-Flite Stearman PT-17 15e
  • E-Flite Rhapsody 25e
  • Great Planes Great Planes Super Stearman EP
I preferred to buy one that's PNP or something similar but most don't come that way so I'll settle on ARF since the selection is large. Also - if I go ARF this will be my first ARF. Consideration - for me at least i place high value on plane overall durability, parts availability and overall flight characteristic. All three I mentioned above seems to all fall in similar price range. GP seems cheaper by at least $50. I also bought the whle GP setup today but decided to do a little more research first (by getting the UMX Beast to satisfy my interim needs).

What do you suggest and why based on your experience? THX
Old 08-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

Heya Reef,

I would say durability would be about the same in those 3. None of them will weather a cash very well. A far better plane for Durability would be the Multiplex Gemini.

The GP SuperStearman EP will probably be the hardest to fly just because it is a bit smaller than the others, but it might be able to use the batteries you already have. The other 2 will most likely need bigger batteries.

The Rhapsody is pretty big for a park flyer and will likely need 4s batteries. So you need charger that can handle those.

The P-17 Stearman will probably be OK on a motor that would take 3s batteres.

If I was going to buy one of those 3, I would get the P-17 since I would feel comfortable flying that one at a smaller field.

You should take another look at the Gemini, though. Probably more aerobatic than any of those 3, yet easy to slow down and land.

This is a link to HiMax Motors. I have had very good luck with these. Not the cheapest, but among the very best. Good info applicable to other motors. You will likely want a low KV Motor in any of those planes - under 1000 KV

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26.html

Wolfe
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

+1 on the Gemini - an excellent flyer. The PT-17 is a bit of a handfull on take-off's and landings.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSLR9&P=7

Mike
Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

I have the PT-17 (with a Power 25, it needs nose weight even with that), great flying plane. Not a parkflyer as far as takeoff/landing, but overall one of my more pleasurable bipes to fly.

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
reef_rc

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

The make shift empty high school parking lot where I go fly since it's so close to my home is not ideal for landing but has been working OK so far for those planes I've accumulated (by wing size (i know this doesn't exactly dictate a plane is a parkflyer): i.e. E-Flite Alpha Sport 450, PZ T-28, PZ Stinson, PZ Bf-109G). Was thinking about taking a pic to show what I mean since those that have flown there avoid landing on concret since there are potential hazards for sure. In short, landing and take-off is a potential concern at least for the short term.

I'll keep the Gemini in consideration. The only thing I currently don't like about it is the sticker I have to place on myself. To be honest, I suck at putting on stickers. The one plane I had to do that, didn't leave a good taste in my mouth. My preference (I realized this is picky) is plane comes already painted by someone/process that is more skill that I at this .
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

The Gemini Stickers are a pain in the butt. The trick is to put them on first, before you assemble the airplane.

Wolfe
Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

And a little water with a tiny bit of dish soap helps too. Then you use an old CC like a squeegee to get the water out when you have it placed where you want it.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
reef_rc

Looks like I got a little side track on this one. I'll be building ElectriFly S.E. 5a in the upcoming weeks and was planning on using electronic components from E-Flite Mini Pulse XT (motor, ESC, servos). I just posted a few general questions on this upcoming build in another post here.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Lemme just throw the GWS Tiger Moth 400 out there. A great little plane and it will definitely fly in 10-15MPH winds. 38" wingspan; 20oz AUW. FWIW.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era