Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Danka

View Danka's Gallery4
Friends: (1)
Default FMS J3 Piper Cub (newbie)

Hello everyone, I'm Daniel from sweden. I'm fairly new to the hobby with some experience of 3ch foamies. Some month ago I decided to get my first 4 ch FMS Cub (big cub lover!). My plan is to go up in size to top my carrier with a scratch built Sig 1/6 Cub (converted to electric).

Anyway, I really want to learn how to fly "proper" and scale like. I realize I don't use the rudder as much as I should... to make it fly cub like. The plane I have at the moment is a about 650g, so some wind compensation from time to time. Still I want to learn correctly from the start, so I dont bring "old habit flying" into balsa flying.

I've made a short film on the "almost" maiden flight. Any tips and tricks from experienced flyers are more then welcome (I thirst for knowledge )

Apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

City flying --> http://youtu.be/A2a6SNGOINA

Maiden --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ8-VilUvgA

BR. Daniel the Swede.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
eflight-ray

Friends: (3)

One problem regarding flying 'scale like', is with something like a Cub it would probably be the most boring of flights, how often do you see full size clubs flying like in your video ?. Most of the time they are just cruising around level.

So perhaps drop some of the 'scale like flying' until you get a fairly large scale multi engined model. There is nothing worse than seeing something like a B-17 or B-29 doing loops and flying inverted, at least in my opinion.

Do carry on having fun flying, that's what we are in the hobby for.

Something you could practice, and practice,...... though, is take-offs and landings. Getting those to look more professional does take a lot of hard work and concentration.

Take-off do not always need full throttle, or steep climb-outs. Likewise landings look so much better with a longish straight approach, before gently settling onto the main wheels, slightly before the tail wheel touches, (and I can assure you it's not easy to get right).

As for the use of rudder on a four channel model, it's usually used in coordination with aileron when doing flatter turns. Bank and yank is easy, nice flat turns isn't so. Rudder is also a must for doing stall turns.

Enjoy your smaller Cub, practice, practice, but will you really be happy flying a larger Sig version later, or could you be getting more fun from say a warbird, that is perhaps also capable of still looking scale(ish) doing aerobatics ?.

Ray in Wales
As I get older I think more and more about the hereafter.
I walk into a room, and think, 'now what was it that I'm here after?' :o
Old 08-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Danka

View Danka's Gallery4

Thanks eflight-ray.
Yep, agree, this particular start and landing is exceptionally... rock and roll... I will continue practice with this FMS Cub and then move on. It's just I've seen some nice videos of 1:1 Cubs that perform quite acrobatic manoeuvres, I like its "laid back kind off flying" even though it performs tricks. Not into the B-17s and B-29s, but I have been looking at some warbirds as you mention .

Many thanks for your tips, appreciated...

By the way, you've probably seen this, really like the way the cub moves when pushed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vH2y...8E4603933802B0
Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Danka

View Danka's Gallery4

Some inner city flying with the cub (good and challenging beginner plane)... Sorry for the image quality, anyone know a good, simple software that takes mpeg4 files directly, converting makes it less sharp.

City Flying ---> http://youtu.be/A2a6SNGOINA
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I don't think scale like flying is boring, not at all. Anyone can go punch holes in the sky and fly all nilly willy, but to make our models look like the real thing, and fly like the real thing, to me that is just cool.

If you like Cubs and Aerobatics then a clipped wing cub may be for you. They are very aerobatic flyers.

Here is a video of me flying my Piper PA-12, the Piper that came out just after the J-3, and before the Super Cub. Shooting these approaches and greasing the landings was more of a rush than just about anything... and it helped me get ready for, and win the "Best Civilian Scale" award at our recent Scale Meet at our club.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

Very nice

Wolfe
Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)

Hi Daniel!

Check out this footage of my friend Carl's (who also happens to be a transplanted Swede) absolutely stunning Army Cub. We went to an airshow and watched a war reenactment featuring the exact same plane and what you see in the video is Carl trying to reproduce the flying style of an L-bird surveying a battle field. It's pretty far from boring if you ask me.

My apologies for the shaky cell phone video and for the plane not being e-powered...

Regards

Pontus

AMA #959089
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Danka

View Danka's Gallery4

Thanks Firemanbill. Agree, flying scale- like is cool! In my latest video I'm doing some flat rudder turns to try it out... other than that there is some foamie flipflop action going on. But still, my mission is to fly bigger cubs and push them "to the limit" and still make it look realistic. Will check out the clipped wing. Your PA 12 is a darling and very inspirational.

NJSwede. Nice to hear you have an imported swedish friend, what about yourself? With that profile name, from Sweden as well?... Carls Cub looks great, and make me love them even more! I'll get a Starmax/ Top flite/ Airfield 1400mm Grasshopper, paint it silver and mount a full body pilot with open doors and make some HD video shooting .

/ D.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by Danka View Post
NJSwede. Nice to hear you have an imported swedish friend, what about yourself? With that profile name, from Sweden as well?... Carls Cub looks great, and make me love them even more! I'll get a Starmax/ Top flite/ Airfield 1400mm Grasshopper, paint it silver and mount a full body pilot with open doors and make some HD video shooting .
/ D.
Jag är tvättäkta svensk!

My screen name is very accurate: A Swede in New Jersey. Born in Göteborg, spent most of my life in Stockholm and moved to the US about 10 years ago. I love it here, but I miss good old Sweden sometimes...

AMA #959089
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Danka

View Danka's Gallery4

To answer my own question... I found this great and affordable software AVS Video Editor 6.0, great price until the end of august...http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Edi...FYm_zAoddGmgNA

Can really recommend, cleaned up my movies anyway, no converting needed :-)).

Refined movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=A2a6SNGOINA

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners