Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
azwarbird

Friends: (0)
Default parkzone f4u corsair

Oh man I love this plane. I am new to rc planes and I got the bug bad. I have been flying for a grand total of 6 days, I bought a hobbyzone super cub on Sat and Mon picked up the f4u 2 great flights and what a difference between a 3ch trainer and a 4ch wow so much fun. I do have one question on the f4u the rear wing is angled up on the le if I trim the elevator to be in line with the le of the wing the plane wants to lose altitude. I trimmed the elevator up during flight and was able to maintain level flight with nuetral stick. Should I adjust the turnbuckle on the pushrod going to the elevator to that angle so when in nuetral trim its where its at now? Sorry if this is confusing I don't know all the lingo yet. Lol
Old 08-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (19)

Az,
there are no stupid questions when your a newbie!!! ASK AWAY!!!!!
trim the airplane to fly straight and level with your hands off the sticks. once you have done that, adjust the control horns and clevises on the plane so you can return all your trims on the radio to center. then you are finished. the plane is trimmed!! Every plane trims out differently, i have flown at least 5 different Strykers and all of them needed different trims to fly hands off. congrats on learning to fly so quickly!! when i first started,(25 years ago)i soloed in 4 weekends of flying, and 1/2 the club complained that i should have been made to fly with an instructor longer just for safety's sake!! GEEZE!!! by the way, i have a pz Corsair also, and i love how quiet it is....after years of noisy,oily
gassers my corsair is a joy to fly!!!

e.d.f. speed freak
Old 08-12-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
azwarbird

Thanks Ifly, I just got home from flying and reset the elevator trim and perfect hands off level flight. Yea I went and talked with some folks at the local club and they were amazed at the short time I took to solo. I have loved planes since I was a little kid and had a good idea what the control surfaces do, That helped. It was just a matter of doing it and not over flying the plane. I have noticed that after landing the corsair I'm shaking lol.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

when i was being trained my instructor told me "Nobody ever crashed into a cloud"
so when your in trouble, cut throttle and climb.LOL!!

e.d.f. speed freak
Old 08-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
azwarbird

Do most clubs make you fly with an instructor for awhile? Seems like they were kinda pushing toward instruction when I talked with them. I don't mind but my tx isn't setup for a buddy cord.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

i can't speak for all clubs, but of the 4 i've belonged to, they all want to be sure the new pilot is proficient and in control of the airplane at all times. all it takes is one mistake and someone is being air-lifted to a trauma center or worse. every season that i have flown, there has been at least one major incident and a few minor ones at the field. one club member had a finger amputated by his own running motor. so you can understand why a club would want to be sure that you are not going to be a danger to yourself or other members of the club,or spectators around the field.

e.d.f. speed freak
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
azwarbird

Hmm, I know at the club I want to join they want you to have a spotter while your flying so I suppose I can get an instructor to spot for me while I fly. Also how many minutes do you get in the air out of a charge, do you fly at full throttle or just a nice speed. We have had 12mph winds here in Arizona the last couple of days so I have been flying at full throttle. Is that bad on the motor and esc?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

You need to pass a "Qualifiying Flight" with an instructor at my club in order to be able to fly solo. They want to see you take off, fly some figure eight, stay inbounds, and land on the runway in order to pass. Mostly they just want to be sure you have control of the airplane.

If you are brand new, you start out on a buddy box. Then you fly with an instructor in the pilot stand with you until you pass the check flight. Once you are "Solo Qualified", you don't need a spotter anymore.

Peronally, I like to set up a plane so that it will cruise around at about half throttle.

Wolfe
Old 08-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #9
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

az,
the bullcrap politics of flying clubs are part of flying r/c.. you need their field... so deal with the bull crap.. or fly elsewhere.. i am in n.y.c. so i have to fly at this field, there is NO WHERE ELSE TO FLY, deal with the club b.s. an just fly..

e.d.f. speed freak
Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
GBLynden

I am bumping this thread with some new blood and chatting about the new version of this plane.

I like this plane more and more as I get used to how it flies:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
GBLynden

Here is video of this plane taking off and landing much closer to the camera and in soft, muddy grass with stock landing gear:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

So what's the difference between the new version and the old?
My flying buddy used to have the old one and in general it was a nice model, very stable and easy to fly. The landing gear was a real weak point though, the plastic mountings pulled out of the wing at the slightest excuse. He ended up having to hand launch it which ultimatly led to it's demise after one dorked hand launch too many (it was actually very easy to hand launch but my flying buddy is quite inexperienced)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Still have my original one. As I understand it, they've taken a lot of mods they saw people do and incorporate them as well as some changes of their own. One is sturdier landing gear with bigger tires. Of course the new one has optional drop in retracts and flaps. I think the new fuselage is a little longer? I guess it's a more scale design. Also a stronger motor.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

One factor that tends to get overlooked in the Fly with Club aspect ...

If you ever want to fly at another venue as a guest with 'your' club. It's nice to know that you've completed the necessary BS with 'your' club and they will be happy to have you flying with them during that visit to another venue.

Many venues in fact require some confirmation of ability ... plus of course the Insurance.

Can't blame the Club or venue people ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Oh, I forgot in the new one, they designed in a weak point. The flap hinges. I've read of plenty of cases of the flaps coming loose. So the safe bet is to re-hinge them yourself if you're gonna use them.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics