Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Aaeolien

Friends: (0)
Default First scratch build

Yikes well I built one. LOL Made some mistakes along the way but hey what can ya do.

I found the plans online for a Cirrus (F3P style plane) and found plans where someone had turned it from a 32in span into a 16in span. So I built the small one for backyard flying. It uses motor and electronics from my UM Sukhoi 26m which flew absolutely terrible. Never could get it balanced right.

No problems with the build other then trying to get the hinges right. Remember first scratch build really had no idea what I was doing. LOL Got them all on there and it seemed well. All control surfaces moved. YAY.

So got it all built and last night went to maiden it. We did take video of it thankfully because its worth a laugh. First toss, realized aileron servo needed to be reversed. No problem fixed. Then flying it around and later in the video you'll hear ummm the rudder is the wrong way as well. LOL

Yes lets just say I didn't do the greatest preflight check on this little plane. HAHAHA. Lesson learned.

I think this morning I figured out where the CG should be and had it flying around pretty well in the backyard but goofed up and smacked it into the house and had to rebuild the entire nose. Whooops. Lets just say I won't be using this kind of foam to build anything again. Its a bit fragile. (Used the Electrifly Performance 3mm foam I found at the LHS.) If I didn't crash into things it would probably be fine. Its light and fairly stiff but fairly stiff comes at a price of breaking fairly easily.

Oh well, live and learn and for a first shot at building anything. I think I did pretty well. Enjoy the video.

Chris

Admitted Crack Pitts Addict
Old 08-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,983 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Nice build and Maiden flight Chris The stiff foam is better to use, just fly in a larger area, and dont fly into things the soft spongy foam does not work very well if you want to do aerobatics, it tends to bend during flight and the plane will fly sloppy, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Since you like to scratch build, here are a few of my plans, the planes fly very well.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...652#post715652

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39733

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

http://www.rcplanetalk.com/trim.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Great Job Chris!!!
Camera Person is one excited scoccer mom LOL You have good pilot skills mine are not nearly as good. I have some envy my first build does not look as nice. I have to say what a blast hunh
Congrats and I am looking forward to more
Fishbonez

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Aaeolien

lol yeah chellie the don't fly into things is a great tip. LOL was flying it in the backyard harriering (is that a word) around and well let off the elevator and she took off a bit quicker than i turned. I think the little bit of added glue for the repair actually has helped it balance a bit better. Planning on taking it to the park later and really giving it a workout.

The one thing i did notice is that I don't think i get enough up elevator throw and I think it might be the control rod bending instead. I have some thicker carbon which I may try and make a stiffer elevator control rod or I need to just fix the hinge job and make it looser. Any suggestions on which way to go?

Thanks fish. Hoping to make some improvements to the plane and really get that nice slow F3P style flyer that I wanted. I don't think its quite there yet since I am not sure I have enough throw on the elevator for those quicker tight movements.

Chris

Old 08-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
waynejb

Hey Chris, nice job and good flying too. I grew up in Amherst, not far from Rochester. Always windy. Now I'm in S. Alabama with more wind from the Gulf.

Enjoy....Wayne/RCfoamcrafters

Old 08-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
lol yeah chellie the don't fly into things is a great tip. LOL was flying it in the backyard harriering (is that a word) around and well let off the elevator and she took off a bit quicker than i turned. I think the little bit of added glue for the repair actually has helped it balance a bit better. Planning on taking it to the park later and really giving it a workout.

The one thing i did notice is that I don't think i get enough up elevator throw and I think it might be the control rod bending instead. I have some thicker carbon which I may try and make a stiffer elevator control rod or I need to just fix the hinge job and make it looser. Any suggestions on which way to go?

Thanks fish. Hoping to make some improvements to the plane and really get that nice slow F3P style flyer that I wanted. I don't think its quite there yet since I am not sure I have enough throw on the elevator for those quicker tight movements.
Hi to stiffen up the control wire, use some spaghetti air line, sold at napa or truck part store to go over the control wire, secure the air line with epoxy to the fuselage, you can use some CF tube and epoxy the wire in it to make aileron control push rods too.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=30651&page=2

Old 08-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
waynejb

That looks good Chellie. I've been using coffee stir sticks (small straws) without any problems but I think I'll get a roll of that small airline. I think weedeater gas tubing is about the same thing.

Thanks for the idea.....Wayne

Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Aaeolien

That's a great tip chellie I'll have to try that. I like the coffee stirrer idea too. Those I have sitting around here. Might try that tonight if the rains disappear and it dries up a little. Tomorrow I'll snag some of that airhose.

Chris

Old 08-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Aaeolien

Well still have to fix the control rod bending problem. LOL I did however find the perfect balance point and the plane flies very smoothly and very well now. Put 3 batteries thru it this morning and was very happy with it. It has a tendency to roll out of knife edge flight but that could just be the pilot LOL It'll do pretty good hovers (Well if the pilot was better). Harrier flight is pretty sweet. I can do that nice and low and the plane has just a tiny bit of wing rock. (right side up and inverted).

So 2 things to work on with it still. The bending control rod problem on the rudder (did fix the elevator by fixing the hinge). And the rolling out of knife edge tendency (which is probably just me flying it better LOL).

Very very happy pilot though with how it flies at the moment considering I've only been at this RC thing for a couple of months. I honestly did not think I would end up with a pretty good flying plane on my first scratch build.

Chris

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Very very happy pilot though with how it flies at the moment considering I've only been at this RC thing for a couple of months. I honestly did not think I would end up with a pretty good flying plane on my first scratch build.
Wow and you have that kinda skill. I am impressed, now I am even more envious

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Aaeolien

Fish I'm loving it. I try to fly at least 1 battery everyday regardless of weather. Even if I step outside in my tiny front yard and fly the t28 under the trees. New job also has me going in for 7am so I always leave 20 minutes early and fly a couple batteries on the way. Usually fly the Beast ALOT. Lol.

Had a perfect morning today put 4 flights on the new plane, 6 on my beast and about half a battery on my T28. Midair collision at my fathers house with his champ ended the Ts day early. Lol was hilarious though. we were chasing each other like maniacs at 3 to 6 feet off the ground.

Chris

Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #13
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Sweet glad you and your dad are enjoying this very addicting hobby together as well. It definitly rock when it is going good LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
Aaeolien

So this one sadly is due for a rebulid. I didn't reinforce the nose or build it very well and it got crunched a couple of times. Learned alot though with this build and hoping I can build another that is just that much better. LOL

Chris

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft