Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-15-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default Finally got a club going!

It's taken a while, but a local flying club is finally up and running. Where I live in Northwest Tasmania, clubs are few and far between, primarily because of the weather, but also due to a general lack of LHS's and resources. The internet has helped, but what was needed were people prepared to get out there and do it. A newly arrived local businessman has started stocking parts and kits as a sideline to his IT repair work, and slowly, slowly, things are gathering momentum. We formed the club after he met me during an aerial display with my combat planes at at "Steamfest", a local historical country fair. He is mainly into heli's, as is most of the club ( about 10 people now) with only 3 of us flying fixed wings. It's also a mix of glo and electric, and ages range from 12 to about 55. Our flying field is in amongst farm land, with mountains in the backgound, and numerous watercourses....very picturesque. I have offered my twin engined sailplane as a trainer, and there are moves to provide a trainer heli as well. The runway is close to being finished, but is pretty well usable as it is. Fees are $120.00 aud, 80 of which is for the national affiliation, and the remaing 40 for club fees and sundries. A couple of beginners have already dropped in for a look The only other club within 200klm's is primarily glo orientated, not big on heli's, and "don't fly electrics very often". Even though I can fly fron home whenever I like, and I dropped out of the club scene some years back due to the clique mentality and narrow mindedness of so many of the members, we are really going to make an effort to welcome newcomers, encourage beginners, and have a good a time as possible The colourfull character in the photo below is Mark, one of the primary motivators of "Steam fest", holding my Me 262. We are looking at providing a ,bigger better display next year, now there will be club backing. Full steam ahead................

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	151906  
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

great going.. hope you expand and hold it for a long time.

happy flying

Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Sounds neat. I will be curiouse to see how it goes. I have thought about joing a club here in cheyenne but decided against it for a number of reasons. Sounds like if I lived in your area I would also be curiouse to see your club. Good Luck and I hope all goes well

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

a little off topic.. use to go through cheyenne A LOT... then i became based in denver for a while. where was the feild in cheyenne? i never found it... i was always looking when making deliveries in the area. but that has been 10yrs now...

Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by tampaflyer View Post
a little off topic.. use to go through cheyenne A LOT... then i became based in denver for a while. where was the feild in cheyenne? i never found it... i was always looking when making deliveries in the area. but that has been 10yrs now...
There are 2 one on the South side of town just outside on hway 32 and the other I never found I was not to excited to join because of a conversation that rubbed me the wrong way. I have met a lot of flyers here that just love to fly and we have alot of fun tossing ideas and advice to each other pretty cool

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

thanks, i always like visiting new clubs to see how they do things differently. some have great ideas on set-ups and pits and everthing.

keep looking ,all clubs have some UNIQUE personalities.. but on a differnt day or a different time of day it can be completly different.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Thanks for the encouragement fella's. Having a club means rules and regulations, sharing the sky, financial outlay, meetings and working bee's. Because I have flown by myself or with my sons', on my own property for so long, there was never a need to bother with clubs. I can fly whenever and how ever I want, without having to travel, pay money, wait my turn or play by the rules. It is probably the only part of my life where I don't have to conform to someone else's standards ( read freedom). However, having a club opens it up to others who want to get involved, and I am able to share my knowledge with total newcomers. Of course, I am able to learn from others as well. I will still primarily fly on my own, as I manage to fly every day unless the weather is totally miserable, but will still go out to the field every few weeks to stay in touch. Hopefully, there will always be beginners eager to learn ........

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions