Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
TAUMULLER

Friends: (0)
Default Airfield t28 1400 series

just purchased that new t28 trojan from nitroplanes . I have been flying the park zone t28 for years and thought if this bird flys as good as parkzones .. well parkzone is going to have some competition. Let me tell you , they do. 1st thing is the size ... this plane is huge and beefy . The foam is nicely finished.. no beady look here.. and nice and solid . The paint is well done but there stickers are ok. I probably will take off the stickers and paint the markings . I use a JR radio .. but decided to try there stock radio. I bought the rtf version . It comes with a 6 channel 2.4 setup... I am still using old school 72 on my other planes. The radio seems cheap , has a switch for flaps and gear .. and electronic trim pods.. also uses only 4 aa batteries?

The plane comes with a 4 cell 2600 pack , it looks to small for this plane. I have a couple of 4000 4 cell packs that fit perfect , and there is room for even larger packs. The good news here is weight difference of about 4 ounces between there battery and mine... and the cg is right on the money. Assembly pretty straight forward.. install control horns.. linkages to servos, put the tail on mount the wing , and install the prop. All the wiring is done.. the servos are mounted to plastic trays.. no foam mounts here. The plane has a landing light , red, green nav lights , flashing red lights in the rear .. and at night they really show. The only bad thing is this plane is a wiring nightmare. There must be 20 different plugs .. so this plane is one that you would not want to dissasemble often.

It has electric retracts with working gear doors and cowl flaps... very cool. Also has scale working flaps.. that also work with the cowl flaps. They use a small electronic sequencer board to delay the gear doors and the retracts... very scale like operation. The retracts are off brand.. but seem to be very sturdy.. that is a good thing.. this plane is close to 6lbs with my 4000 pack. Everything worked smoothly right out of the box.. perfect finish.. looks really good. I ordered extra prop blades.. they mount into the hub individually .. so you can change just one blade. Bad part here is its airfield product and this prop is not available from your local hobby shop. But it is pretty stout so It would take a lot to break it.

I decided to maiden it on a calm cool morning , with my 4000 pack. Nitro planes review show them using a 4400 pack.. so I felt ok with my battery.
The watt meter show 69 amps and around 700 watts of power at full throttle. I doubled check all controls and linkages.. taxied it out , did a range test.. everything solid. Full throttle strong.. took off smooth , just a bit squirrley when making the first turn gear down.. did not take off with flaps on. Just a little bit of aileron trim and elevator trim and she was level flight. Flew smooth and solid no bad habits.. stalled straight and slows down nice even with out the flaps. Put the flaps on and this thing seems to stop in the air. This plane lands just as good as the parkzone models.. I think even better due to the flaps. The only thing you have to remember is there is 6lbs of airplane landing not 22 oz's . So you have to be a little gentle on touch down. I flew about 6 minutes .. no hot batteries, no overheated motor.. esc a little warm. There is fake cowl vent on one side I might actually open that up to allow a little more air to the esc.

Overall this is one good plane.. a+ on detail , a+ on overall quality and flight.. not so sure about the radio and there gear. Thinking about putting my radio gear in .. but like I said wiring nightmare. I dont know if the scale flaps and retracts will even work with my jr . I would hate to loose it do to faulty radio and servos .. anybody have feed back on airfields gear that would be nice.

I dont have any pictures of it flying .. but you can see it fly on nitro planes site. I did notice they are using different radio's then what they give you.. but overall well worth the money and hope I can put as many flights on this as I have on my parkzone t28 (over 500 ).

So if you are looking for a larger t28 traine , this is well worth the money. It is a large plane and you will need a large vehicle to transport it.. it barely fits in the back of my dodge p/u. I might look at ther p51, p47 and there corsair.. if they are like the t28 .. look out parkzone .
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Good to hear you did so well. I've flown the Stang and it's a winner too.
Airfield is getting some great reviews on their birds.
Along with your other ones you are considering, don't forget they also have a P40, B-25, B-17, Sky Raider, and a P-38!!!

And a tip, if you need parts for these, check out PW-RC.com They carry all the birds, and all the spare parts for them. And Philip is great to deal with.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)
Default Anyone have any problems with new T28 ARF from Airfield?

I just got mine in the mail on Friday and the whole reason I purchased this was because two people told me they had it flying within an hour out of the box with no problems. Of course I get mine and seems to be nothing but problems.

First, I am not a builder and actually kind of loath building because I work so many hours and have a two year old I don't have time to build, but I love flying, so thought this was the perfect model after seeing at eWeek, the Electric Nall, and hearing what a great flyer it was and mostly how good it looked combined with how quickly it went together.

I got it together but found one flap not working, one landing gear door not closing (will open, just not close, strange), cowl flaps will not close all the way even with subtrim maxed out and I don't see a way to be able to get in there and remove make any manual adjustments on those servos. I have glued the tail on already so not sure I can send it back to Nitroplanes but I am severely disappointed, almost to the point of depression!!!! OK maybe not that bad but come on, I would like to put something together that actually works the first time around. Really hoped to have this in the air this weekend but that is obviously not going to happen.

Has anyone else encountered these servo problems with the T28? If so did Nitroplanes help at all or did you replace the servos. Any ideas?

Help!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
RCFlyer44

By the way I thought it might be a problem with the Y-harnesses that come with the the plane but tested each of those servos individually. also had two receivers on hand and used both of those (one a spektrum the other a orange DSM from HK) both the same results, bad servos it seems.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
bga71

Sounds like your luck is a lot like mine. Are the servos in a bad place to easily replace, or you just don't have much free time? I'm kind of tempted to get a ARF version, just read too many bad stories about the RTF radios and receivers being junk after a few flights.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
RCFlyer44

Originally Posted by bga71 View Post
Sounds like your luck is a lot like mine. Are the servos in a bad place to easily replace, or you just don't have much free time? I'm kind of tempted to get a ARF version, just read too many bad stories about the RTF radios and receivers being junk after a few flights.
I think I can replace the flap servos and even the landing gear door servo just fine. If I need to replace the cowl flap servos then I would have a problem because I think they put these together then glued them in the fuselage and impossible to get a screw driver in there to release the servo and same with the control rod screw.

Also went to a hobby store yesterday to pick up a couple metal clevises to use on the control horns instead of their plastic ones but neither a 4-40 or 2-56 size clevis will fit their control rods, they are smaller so you are stuck with their plastic ones, unless there is a metric size that the hobby store didn't have.

Really disappointed I couldn't fly it this weekend!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
SimonV6

I have had mine now for a few weeks, really like it, its my first electric plane, let alone foamie, and i am impressed
I have a benedini real engine sound module on it too

Simon
Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
RCFlyer44

I changed one servo for the landing gear door to a cheap hobby king servo and it works great and the other servos I ordered for the flaps just came in so those will get changed pretty soon.

I agree it flies great despite the problems I have had.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Mr. Clean

Club: AMA member but no club yet
Default Airfield Trojan T28

I just bought one of these from Nitro Planes. Arrived 3 days after I ordered it!

Although I love this plane, I also had some issues with it. My pilot was loose and I had to remove the canopy to glue him back in. The biggest issue was that the left wing landing gear would not retract. Nitro Planes was really good at sending out another, no questions asked, but it took 3 weeks to arrive.

Finally maiden flight my T28 and piled it into the ground! You can see the results in a post on my rcflyingfun blog (link in signature). I have to say that this is one tough plane to have come through a crash like this with only the damage it had.

I still love it and can't wait to get it up in the air again!

Born again RC flyer having fun and documenting my experiences.
http://mywildhawkexperience.blogspot.com
http://rcflyingfun.blogspot.com
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
RCFlyer44

Glad you are getting her back together again. I have been slow getting servos replaced and decided to take out the 4 to 1 Y harness serving the flaps and cowl flaps because I found removing the cowl flaps and just using a regular Y harness and the servos function much better, not sure if there is a voltage drop or a short in the harness. But the cowl flaps are purely aesthetic and have no real functional value other than for show on the ground. I also decided to purchase a Castle 10amp BEC and install it to give more amperage to the servos and not rob from the ESC for it. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be able to take her up again.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #11
Mr. Clean

I like the idea of adding a separate BEC. I may try that. I have a power analyzer that I will use to test the speed controller but will need to wait until I replace the connectors or make adapters. I'm doing this because my ESC is only 50amp and others say they have 65amp ESCs. Will update you all when I have the results.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #12
raido56
Not nuts I'm Plane crazy

View raido56's Gallery77
Club: www.neprcc.org

Originally Posted by TAUMULLER View Post
just purchased that new t28 trojan from nitroplanes . I have been flying the park zone t28 for years and thought if this bird flys as good as parkzones .. well parkzone is going to have some competition. Let me tell you , they do. 1st thing is the size ... this plane is huge and beefy . The foam is nicely finished.. no beady look here.. and nice and solid . The paint is well done but there stickers are ok. I probably will take off the stickers and paint the markings . I use a JR radio .. but decided to try there stock radio. I bought the rtf version . It comes with a 6 channel 2.4 setup... I am still using old school 72 on my other planes. The radio seems cheap , has a switch for flaps and gear .. and electronic trim pods.. also uses only 4 aa batteries?

The plane comes with a 4 cell 2600 pack , it looks to small for this plane. I have a couple of 4000 4 cell packs that fit perfect , and there is room for even larger packs. The good news here is weight difference of about 4 ounces between there battery and mine... and the cg is right on the money. Assembly pretty straight forward.. install control horns.. linkages to servos, put the tail on mount the wing , and install the prop. All the wiring is done.. the servos are mounted to plastic trays.. no foam mounts here. The plane has a landing light , red, green nav lights , flashing red lights in the rear .. and at night they really show. The only bad thing is this plane is a wiring nightmare. There must be 20 different plugs .. so this plane is one that you would not want to dissasemble often.

It has electric retracts with working gear doors and cowl flaps... very cool. Also has scale working flaps.. that also work with the cowl flaps. They use a small electronic sequencer board to delay the gear doors and the retracts... very scale like operation. The retracts are off brand.. but seem to be very sturdy.. that is a good thing.. this plane is close to 6lbs with my 4000 pack. Everything worked smoothly right out of the box.. perfect finish.. looks really good. I ordered extra prop blades.. they mount into the hub individually .. so you can change just one blade. Bad part here is its airfield product and this prop is not available from your local hobby shop. But it is pretty stout so It would take a lot to break it.

I decided to maiden it on a calm cool morning , with my 4000 pack. Nitro planes review show them using a 4400 pack.. so I felt ok with my battery.
The watt meter show 69 amps and around 700 watts of power at full throttle. I doubled check all controls and linkages.. taxied it out , did a range test.. everything solid. Full throttle strong.. took off smooth , just a bit squirrley when making the first turn gear down.. did not take off with flaps on. Just a little bit of aileron trim and elevator trim and she was level flight. Flew smooth and solid no bad habits.. stalled straight and slows down nice even with out the flaps. Put the flaps on and this thing seems to stop in the air. This plane lands just as good as the parkzone models.. I think even better due to the flaps. The only thing you have to remember is there is 6lbs of airplane landing not 22 oz's . So you have to be a little gentle on touch down. I flew about 6 minutes .. no hot batteries, no overheated motor.. esc a little warm. There is fake cowl vent on one side I might actually open that up to allow a little more air to the esc.

Overall this is one good plane.. a+ on detail , a+ on overall quality and flight.. not so sure about the radio and there gear. Thinking about putting my radio gear in .. but like I said wiring nightmare. I dont know if the scale flaps and retracts will even work with my jr . I would hate to loose it do to faulty radio and servos .. anybody have feed back on airfields gear that would be nice.

I dont have any pictures of it flying .. but you can see it fly on nitro planes site. I did notice they are using different radio's then what they give you.. but overall well worth the money and hope I can put as many flights on this as I have on my parkzone t28 (over 500 ).

So if you are looking for a larger t28 traine , this is well worth the money. It is a large plane and you will need a large vehicle to transport it.. it barely fits in the back of my dodge p/u. I might look at ther p51, p47 and there corsair.. if they are like the t28 .. look out parkzone .
Here you go. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66018 You might want to check your watt meter. With a 4s 2650 40C pack you should be at about 46 to 48 amps topps. With a 5s 2650 40C pack it would be about 59 to 60 amps only. So your reading is way too high.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
tailskid

Club: AMPS

Got one back in January, still haven't finished assemblying it.....
Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
Mr. Clean

Finally assembled my power connector adapters and was able to check my T28 power draw. With the stock 14.8V 2600mAH battery, I recorded a max amp draw of 47A and registered 690W. I'm really close to my 50A ESC limit but in my test it did not get very warm, and I ran it for at least a minute at full throttle.

FYI - I have rebuilt my Airfield T28 after diving it into the ground. I have to admit that it doesn't look to bad. I was really worried that it would be completely trashed.

I can't wait to get her back into the air!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
WVrailfan

View WVrailfan's Gallery4

I got one of the Airfield/FMS T-28s a couple of months ago and just started working on it. I decided to cover it with Oracal film rather than paint it. I wanted something different and easy to see so I chose the silver, yellow and orange of the Edwards AFB Test Pilot School from the 50s.

I still have to do some touch up and finish the decals, but it has come along well I think.

I hope to have photos of it in the air by next week.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-28.3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	160955 Filled the panel lines with light weight spackle

Name:	T-28.4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	160956 Use small pieces for tight curves

Name:	T-28.8.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	160957 wing and tail done, compare to original wing

Name:	T-28.9.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	160958

Name:	T-28.11.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	160959
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
Mr. Clean

WVrailfan,

WOW! That looks great!

I'm sure it will look even better in the air.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics