Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
mcav8tr

Friends: (0)
Default Turnigy Motor w/ Turnigy Plush 10A ESC Problem

Hi. I was wondering of some of you could help diagnose a problem I'm having with this motor/esc combo. When there is no prop on the motor it runs fine. As soon as I put the prop on (APC 7x3.8 SF) the motor fails to start. It will turn very slowly while the ESC is trying to start it up but after a few seconds it goes into "failed start" mode. I can remove the prop and it starts up and runs just fine. The ESC is running with the default settings, my battery is fully charged (2s 500 mAh Lipo), all solder joints are good, I've set the throttle range correctly and I've tried the 3 different "start modes". Again, with no prop, the motor starts and runs fine. As soon as I put the prop on, it won't start correctly. Weird. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Motor: Turnigy 2730-1700
ESC: Turnigy Plush 10A
Battery: Zippy 2s 500 mAh 20C
TX: DX7
RX: Spektrum AR6100e
Old 08-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
roberted5r/cnut

Sounds like a bad solder joint from motor wires to bullets connectors.

You tin your wires and bullet connectors 1st,then you solder them together to avoid cold solder joints.

If you have another ESC that you know works try it 1st to avoid wasting time.
Each wire coming from motor should test continous.Some volt meters test continuity.

If the motor is terminated Wye,it could be that connection also.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by mcav8tr View Post
Hi. I was wondering of some of you could help diagnose a problem I'm having with this motor/esc combo. When there is no prop on the motor it runs fine. As soon as I put the prop on (APC 7x3.8 SF) the motor fails to start. It will turn very slowly while the ESC is trying to start it up but after a few seconds it goes into "failed start" mode. I can remove the prop and it starts up and runs just fine. The ESC is running with the default settings, my battery is fully charged (2s 500 mAh Lipo), all solder joints are good, I've set the throttle range correctly and I've tried the 3 different "start modes". Again, with no prop, the motor starts and runs fine. As soon as I put the prop on, it won't start correctly. Weird. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Motor: Turnigy 2730-1700
ESC: Turnigy Plush 10A
Battery: Zippy 2s 500 mAh 20C
TX: DX7
RX: Spektrum AR6100e
Quickest solution is to try another ESC and/or motor. Or go through the following procedure that might help verify if the motor is OK.

Drytesting brushless motors
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35216

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,983 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Either a bad electrical connection or your Battery is weak IMHO

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
M@!

Friends: (1)

I have a similar motor that exhibits the same problems with 2S batteries. It flies fine on 3S but it will barely fire up on a 2S. This is with two different ESCs. Is there an ESC setting that could be wrong?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by M@! View Post
I have a similar motor that exhibits the same problems with 2S batteries. It flies fine on 3S but it will barely fire up on a 2S. This is with two different ESCs. Is there an ESC setting that could be wrong?
Yes it is likely set for a higher 3 cell voltage cutoff.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
M@!

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Yes it is likely set for a higher 3 cell voltage cutoff.
Looking at the ESC manuals; Thunder Bird 9 has no option to change Voltage cutoff and supposedly my Pro Series ESC adjusts voltage based on the number of cells. For Li-xx battery,number of battery cells are judged automatically,low / medium / high cutoff voltage for each cell are: 2.6V/2.85V/3.1V. For example: 3 Cells Li-Poly, when medium cutoff voltage is set, the cutoff voltage is: 2.85*3=8.55V.

My Thunderbird 9 stutters a little on a komodo 1300KV motor but nothing like on the Turnigy.

Could start up mode or timing cause the problem?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
gyrocptr

Something to check:

On the male bullet connector, there is a tubular, cage-like piece with lots of little slots. This tubular piece has a belly-out shape that provides a spring-pressure, which help maintain electrical contact between the male and female connectors. The tubular piece should be free to rotate around the main body of the connector. Sometimes during soldering, excess flux can bubble into the area between the tubular-piece and the main body, and then solidify. If enough solidified flux (whitish or brownish in color) gets into this area, it can block the rotation of tubular-piece, and also create a high electrical-resistance between the tubular-piece and the main connector body. If your brushless motor is single-phasing (oscillating), or failing to reach full power, check to make sure the tubular-piece in each male bullet connector is free to rotate, and free of flux. If not, clean with contact-cleaner (or lacquer thinner, acetone ….). The cleaning may solve your problem.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems