Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Dbono99

Friends: (1)
Default Problems?

Hi All
I have a (old type) Hyperion 3019/10-ESC Hyperion 50 amp last flew about month ago..Today when I went to start the motor "IT" hesitated at startup even going backwards just a bit then made a bumping kind of sound,after that it would run fine,until I tried to start "IT" again, or back off the throttle to stop position.
I put the 3019/10 in another plane using another Hyperion 50 amp ESC, same esc type in the problem plane
NO problems there. I then put the motor back into the plane with startup problems and I'm back to square one, all over again..I changed the timing to Auto, no luck..
I also hooked up another Hyperion motor to ESC and IT worked fine?
Have you any idea what's going on?? I didn't get around to changing the soft start option.
I did change the receiver crystal from 38 too 42,in the plane. Don't see how the RX should affect the start up?
That is about it..

Thanks Dan
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

resolder your motor and ESC connectors, pull on the wires to see if there might be some broken wire strands under the wire insulation, even though the solder connections look good, there still could be a problem with a cold solder joint, check to see that the push on wire connectors are tight, like stated at RCG, you could have a bad cap too, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1490233

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

If you still have problem with that Hyperion 50 amp ESC, toss it away and get a Turnigy plush or Sentry 60 amp ESC.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Dbono99

Default Problems

Hi I put the motor on another Hyperion ESC and it worked just fine..That made me believe the problem was the ESC, but when I put another motor on problem ESC it worked fine. Therefore I CAN'T isolate either the motor or the ESC, since both worked good??

I last flew the plane a month ago, with NO problems at all, can It get a BAD solder joint from just laying around??

THanks Dan
Old 08-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

View philipa_240sx's Gallery83

Originally Posted by Dbono99 View Post
I last flew the plane a month ago, with NO problems at all, can It get a BAD solder joint from just laying around??

THanks Dan
It's possible. The simple act of moving around or disconnecting the motor connectors likely restored the connection.

I strongly suggest removing and re-soldering all connections. If in doubt, replace the connectors.

If you are using bullet style connectors, the 'cage' on the male end is quite prone to getting bent/distorted or contaminated with flux from soldering. Cleaning might work, otherwise replace the connector.

If you are replacing, the Hyperion Gold series is really nice:

http://www.allerc.com/advanced_searc...bullet&x=0&y=0

Pin Size - Weight (1M/1F) - Hole Dia. - Max Wire Size* - Current**
1.8mm 1.05g 2.0mm 3.2mm 20/40A
2.5mm 1.94g 2.5mm 4.0mm 40/80A
3.5mm 3.32g 3.0mm 5.0mm 80/160A
4.5mm 6.25g 4.0mm 6.0mm 140/280A

* "Hole Dia" in most cases matches wire gauges used on ESC and Motors with similar current ratings. "Max. Wire Size" is for "Butt Joint" soldering when needed with large wires (center of wire is trimmed to Hole Size, and larger diameter section remaining is soldered flush to back of the connector).

** "Current" is given as CONTINUOUS vs. 30 Seconds. These apply to Battery<>ESC connections or brushed motors. Note that when the connectors are used to connect a brushless motor and ESC, and current is measured at the BATTERY, these ratings can be increased 33%.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
gyrocptr

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Dbono99 View Post
....get a BAD solder joint from just laying around?? ....

A "cold" solder joint or a solder joint with a micro-crack can be intermittent. Works fine until the joint is repositioned to just the "wrong" position. After more movement, it can work again (ready to quit working again at some inopportune time).

Another thing to check: On the male bullet connector, there is a tubular, cage-like piece with lots of little slots. This tubular piece has a belly-out shape that provides a spring-pressure, which help maintain electrical contact between the male and female connectors. The tubular piece should be free to rotate around the main body of the connector. Check for debris, and clean with contact-cleaner.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I had what sounds like an identical problem recently.
I got all sorts of advice ranging from dry soldering on the bullets, poor connection between the bullets, to burned out coil on the motor.. I'm not knocking this advice because I'm sure these things can and sometimes do cause this problem, so they are all worth checking....
However in my case it simply turned out to be the ESC that had gone bad

Here's a pilots eye video of the stutter that I was getting:

Steve
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Dbono99

Default Problem

Hi All Today I ran another motor off of the suspect ESC, and it ran just fine.
I also ran the suspect motor with a new ESC and it also ran fine.
For some UNKNOWN reason, when I put the two together there are not compatible.
I also tried a different crystal and receiver, when these two get together that's when the problem arises.
I'm trying to isolate the problem with out much luck, as you can see..

THanks Dan

PS Today I flew the plane with the startup problem, once past the startup it was just fine?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I'd still say ESC.. When they start to go off the problem might show itself more on one motors compared to another. My bad ESC showed the same symptoms on two different motors but one was noticeably worse than the other.

It is possible to have a compatibility issue between certain ESC's and certain motors but if the combination used to work ok then that can be ruled out
Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Dbono99

Default It is possible to have a compatibility issue between certain ESC's and certain motors

Hi "It is possible to have a compatibility issue between certain ESC's and certain motors but if the combination used to work ok then that can be ruled out"

This combinaton has worked fine for about 2 years. Don't know IF this should matter but, I did change the spinner.. When I did that,the 1st few start ups the spinner backplate was hitting the weights I had in the front of the plane..

THanks Dan
PS I'm trying to get into the programing mode to change the timming, but so far, I haven't been able to get into that mode.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
Dbono99

Default Problem sloved

Hi All I finally got back to the plane with the esc/motor problems..You guys/girls were right ON, I found that a loose connection was on a bullet connector from the motor..
Resoldered and IT's good as new..

Thanks All Dan

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems