Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Nieuport Fly Guy

Friends: (3)
Default Eva Bi-plane by Mountain Models first build

Well...the kit just arrived. Looks like a long project. Just curious what are those of you who have this plane using for motor and electronics. Mountain models suggests the GWS EPS 350 c- c motor. Is this a good suggestion? ( I have been using motors from Heads up rc and am happy). Suggestions appreciated!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

Nieuport Fly Guy,

I'm glad I found your build thread! Pretty soon I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to look in.

I like HeadsUpRc a lot too. The motor in my EVA Bipe is the 2830-11 from HeadsUp:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-motor/Detail

I use 1300 mAh 3S batteries and a GWS EP9050 prop and I have my timer set for 8:30. With pretty aggressive flying I'll have used up almost 80% of the battery at this time.

I have made a couple of minor modifications to mine. First, I added an extra piece of ply (1/16 or so thick) on the bottom of the fuselage where the landing gear attach. I have read that the landing gear could be a little stronger. I attached this extra piece with thick CA and used epoxy for the inside ply piece. Some people have switched to larger wheels and eliminated the wheel pants so it’s easier to fly off of grass. I still use both, but my larger wheels are what’s on most of the time because I’m flying mostly off of rough grass.

Try to keep your build light, but you don’t need to do anything special. Just build per the instructions and use SoLite or equivalent covering. You’ll be surprised how fast your build will go. Don’t force anything together. Just a light sanding of parts is needed if things are too tight. Also check the size of the holes in the ply wing attachment parts. The holes were a little small on mine and I had attched them to the wings before finding this out. Enlarging these holes so the 4x40 bolts slide thru is not easy when they are glued into the wings. One last piece of advice: Read the instructions twice, test fit, check again then glue only when instructed to do so.

You can see the extra ply piece under the covering. It probably doesn't need to be this big, but this has survived many bad landings. This is my EVA with the sport wing, but you can see the ply piece better in this photo.

I love my EVA Bipe! Good luck with your build!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
Nieuport Fly Guy

Steve...that motor is out of stock...but I have an email into Heads up. What servo brand and esc did you use?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Nieuport Fly Guy View Post
Well...the kit just arrived. Looks like a long project. Just curious what are those of you who have this plane using for motor and electronics. Mountain models suggests the GWS EPS 350 c- c motor. Is this a good suggestion? ( I have been using motors from Heads up rc and am happy). Suggestions appreciated!
Hey Nieuport, I'm using the Power UP 400 Sport from HeadsUpRc in my EVA and it flew great, that is until a lamp post jumped out in front on me!

It has plenty of power with this motor and i am using a GWS EP9050 prop as well. I have a PowerUp 25amp Esc but you can get away with a 20amp since this set up was only pulling 16amps on my watt meter. I use both the 1000mAh and 1300mAh 11.1v batteries from Headsup as well (1500mAh on the windy days).

Oh Servos I used Hitec HS-55 x2 (elev,rudder) and the SG-90 x2 for the Ailerons. But you can used all SG-90's for better torque (i wish i had)

I purchased new wings but havn't bothered putting them together just yet, too busy with all my other builds. I'll post pictures of it's completion when i'm done (you might be done 1st though) lol

Only other tip i have to addon is pay close attention to the wings when you get to that part... there is a right wing and left wing and you don't want to get them built backwards because of the dihedral. Also mind not to glue one of the servos in backwards like i did on my first attempt... lol ... and just remeber also, balsa can be very fragile if you push to hard on it, so no forcing pieces... good luck and don't forget to have fun doing it!!!

P.S. Save the scraps to practice your coating on

Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory!

AMA #964800
Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Stevephoon

The PowerUp 400 sport looks like a good match to me as well. I am using the HeadsUpRc PowerUp 20 Amp ESC and I have not had any issues at all. It's still going strong after 3 years of use.

I have HXT-900 HobbyKing servos in mine, but I have used the SG-90 on my MM P-51 and they have worked well. I really like the E-Max ES08MA servos in my Firestorm, those would be heavy for the EVA, but the EMax ES08A servos maybe nice.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...sh---8g/Detail
I have never used these, but I do like the metal gear version of this servo. Has anyone else used these?

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Default Re: Eva Bi-plane by Mountain Models first build

The PowerUp 400 sport looks like a good match to me as well. I am using the HeadsUpRc PowerUp 20 Amp ESC and I have not had any issues at all. It's still going strong after 3 years of use.

I have HXT-900 HobbyKing servos in mine, but I have used the SG-90 on my MM P-51 and they have worked well. I really like the E-Max ES08MA servos in my Firestorm, those would be heavy for the EVA, but the EMax ES08A servos maybe nice.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...sh---8g/Detail
I have never used these, but I do like the metal gear version of this servo. Has anyone else used these?

Steve
I just so happen to be installing the ES08A's in my Canadair CL-415

Sent from my EVO

AMA #964800
Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
Nieuport Fly Guy

OK...here is what I decided on for the electronics...and have placed an order with Heads-up RC...

Power Up 400 Sport Outrunner Brushless Motor
Power Up 20 Amp Brushless Motor ESC
SERVO - 9g TP SG90 Sub Micro Servo

Then I also need covering and tools....so this is what I am thinking about....

LXB363 Coverite 21st Century Cover Sock
LXL447 Hobbico Precision #11 Blades (100)
LXPW70 Coverite 21st Century Sealing Irons Gift Pack(sealing iron and trim iron)
LXGDV9 Coverite 21st Century Microlite Red
LXGDV2 Coverite 21st Century Microlite White
LXGDV6 Coverite 21st Century Microlite Black

So... Is there anything I am missing on the covering?

I also will post soon pics of the kit as I go along...expect this to take us into late Fall, early winter!

Appreciate all your help...
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

OK...here is what I decided on for the electronics...and have placed an order with Heads-up RC...

Power Up 400 Sport Outrunner Brushless Motor
Power Up 20 Amp Brushless Motor ESC
SERVO - 9g TP SG90 Sub Micro Servo

Then I also need covering and tools....so this is what I am thinking about....

LXB363 Coverite 21st Century Cover Sock
LXL447 Hobbico Precision #11 Blades (100)
LXPW70 Coverite 21st Century Sealing Irons Gift Pack(sealing iron and trim iron)
LXGDV9 Coverite 21st Century Microlite Red
LXGDV2 Coverite 21st Century Microlite White
LXGDV6 Coverite 21st Century Microlite Black

So... Is there anything I am missing on the covering?

I also will post soon pics of the kit as I go along...expect this to take us into late Fall, early winter!

Appreciate all your help...
Looks like it's all there except a "heat gun"... no required but makes things easier on occasion...

I couln't tell you if that brand is good or bad or cheap or expensive... I kind of cheated when i bought an entire collection of planes (approx 30+) and coating including the iron and everything for $500... i literally have 25-30 rolls of covering i don't know what to do with just yet.

-John

AMA #964800
Old 08-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Stevephoon

Your list looks good. Don't forget a prop or two as well. The kit had all of the needed hardware.

I assume you have the needed glue, sandpaper, building space/mat..... These are all easy local items anyway. From what I remember I used Thin and Thick CA, 5 min epoxy and wood glue for glues on this plane.

I only have a Sealing Iron and that has proved fine for me. I have used a hair dryer to shrink and work out warps as well.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
Your list looks good. Don't forget a prop or two as well. The kit had all of the needed hardware.

I assume you have the needed glue, sandpaper, building space/mat..... These are all easy local items anyway. From what I remember I used Thin and Thick CA, 5 min epoxy and wood glue for glues on this plane.

I only have a Sealing Iron and that has proved fine for me. I have used a hair dryer to shrink and work out warps as well.

Steve
Thanks Steve for the suggestion....I do have all the other "stuff" as I have been assembling about 5 other bi-plane ARF kits already. I have about 30 props from 6" to 11" so no worries there...I may just cut down on expenses and use just the iron...and blow drier first. If that doesn't work I can always purchase later!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Default Re: Eva Bi-plane by Mountain Models first build

I assume you have the needed glue, sandpaper, buil
Thanks Steve for the suggestion....I do have all the other "stuff" as I have been assembling about 5 other bi-plane ARF kits already. I have about 30 props from 6" to 11" so no worries there...I may just cut down on expenses and use just the iron...and blow drier first. If that doesn't work I can always purchase later!
Hair dryers work good too, just make sure its not one of those 1000watt suckers like my wife has that literally shriveled my coating into a piece of chewing gum! Test it first on the scraps...

Sent from my EVO

AMA #964800
Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #12
Nieuport Fly Guy

Here isthe kit out of the box...very nicely packed...simple...yet intimidating!! This will be a slow build (I also have several other plane projects going on)...but I did order the electronics. Still need to decide if I should purchase the coverings from Hobby King (great prices) or just go with a local distributor. Feedback on that one?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2960 (536x800).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	152305  
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
cbinfl

Friends: (0)

Here are some photos of my Eva Bipe, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...462380&page=76
Half way down the page. I used a motor from value hobby.com. http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...28&item_id=159 . It's got more than enough power with a 9x6 prop, 1300-1500 batt. and 18 amp t'bird esc. extra battery weight helps in the wind. It's a light weight plane. You will like it.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
Stevephoon

I've never tried any of the coverings from HobbyKing. What you want is a very light weight covering like SoLite or MicroLite. If HobbyKing sells something that's as light then you should be fine.

Steve
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
Nieuport Fly Guy

Well started on the EVA build...read the instructions...laid out the kit...and started on the fuse....until I ran out of thin CA (only had a tiny bit)...great instructions. Wood seperates well and fits like a jig saw puzzle...(fits well)! Here are a few pics of the progress!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040993 (800x600).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	152661   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040994 (800x600).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	152662  
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Nieuport Fly Guy

Next step...working on the fuse and added the Turtledeck. The suggestion to wet the balsa to make it bend easier worked great. Here are the pics so far....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040995 (800x600).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	152708   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040996 (800x600).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	152709  
Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
Stevephoon

Thumbs up

NFG,

Keep up the good work! It looks like things are going smoothly. I have always liked building with balsa. Building up the frame, tail and wings...and then finally setting all of the bare balsa parts together for a "Naked" plane.

I'll keep watching....

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #18
Nieuport Fly Guy

Thanks Steve...appreciate the look and encouragement!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
Nieuport Fly Guy

Seems like days to get to this point...lots of busy work building the Rudder, Elevator, and canopy assembly. All in all, those steps probably took me about 5 hours to get to this point. Now that also includes my very first attempt dealing with covering the canopy with Solarite. Actually, not a bad process once I discovered that you had to remove the film first to get the material to bond to the balsa wood. Who know...was not in the directions. Anyway...I am happy so far with how it turned out.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040998 (800x600).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	152851  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #20
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Seems like days to get to this point...lots of busy work building the Rudder, Elevator, and canopy assembly. All in all, those steps probably took me about 5 hours to get to this point. Now that also includes my very first attempt dealing with covering the canopy with Solarite. Actually, not a bad process once I discovered that you had to remove the film first to get the material to bond to the balsa wood. Who know...was not in the directions. Anyway...I am happy so far with how it turned out.
Yep the plastic will gum up your iron fast if you dont take it off,dont ask me how i know that. lol She looks great fly guy keep up the good work. joe
Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 AM   #21
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Brings back memories... i might just dig out the new set of unbuilt bipe wings and put her back together again now!

Looks great so far...!!!!

AMA #964800
Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #22
Slowjohn
You can bury me after I'm done flying

Club: Just Some Friends
Awards Showcase

1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (28)

I've been thinking about buying that kit myself for a long time but I have such a stash of kits & a couple of big boxes full of plans already that I fear I'll never be able to build & fly them all

It may help you to rub the film with a used dryer sheet to remove any static before you try applying the film. It doesn't need to be hot or warm, just used.

Keep up the nice job of building your doing & Good Luck with the maiden.

Standing By,
SJ

Blue Skies, Calm Breezes & A Full Hanger
Makes Me A Very Happy Man
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
Stevephoon

It's looking good so far!

Covering is a Love-Hate thing with me. It takes me a long time to get it done and the ultra light weight coverings can be a pain to use because they like to curl-up and stck to themselves... but more often than not I am pleased with the out come!

I often use two pieces of painters tape to pull the clear protective cover off of the covering. I am sure it mentioned in some of the covering tutorials here somewhere...

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #24
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
It's looking good so far!

Covering is a Love-Hate thing with me. It takes me a long time to get it done and the ultra light weight coverings can be a pain to use because they like to curl-up and stck to themselves... but more often than not I am pleased with the out come!

I often use two pieces of painters tape to pull the clear protective cover off of the covering. I am sure it mentioned in some of the covering tutorials here somewhere...

Steve
Painters tape...great idea!! Many Thanks...(I am waiting for the additional rolls of cover I ordered before I continue...they are in the mail)-Alan
Old 09-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #25
Nieuport Fly Guy

Here is where I am now...added the motor mount...and solite to the rear of the fuse. Now just waiting on delivery of covering for the rest of the fuse and the elevator etc. May start building the wings here soon...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-09-14 001 (640x480).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	152953  

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft

Tags
eva bi plane , mountain models