Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default 450 clone tail mount shearing of

For long time all was fine and I had same tail mount for all time.

Then recently for some reason the alloy mount piece that goes on end of boom that holds the tail rotor has been shearing of.

First it was tail rotor would twist on the boom ... I sorted that with a pinch of loctite before tightening.

So a couple of flights and then SNAP !

I have now gone through 4 of these tail mounts and I'm getting fed up with buying replacements.

The last one broke today and sequence of events :

Today - I go out and then vibration, sounds .. starboard boom strut comes of tail fitting,

then tail rotor assembly twists to right (looking at back end as flying).

I down the 450 ... back to bench and check her over ... I find thread stripped in boom fitting for strut - so I find a small suitable self-tapper to sort it.
All straight ... tightened up ... fine.
Go out and again strange noise which is deeper tone than normal sounds ... and tail twists to LEFT this time !! Boom / struts OK.
Back to bench and check it over ... find canopy rod on one side is loose ... so that's loctited up and fixed. tail assembly is put back straight and this time a drop of loctite dropped in joint to boom before tightening.
Out again and she spins up fine ... then strange deeper tone noise again and tail mount snaps ...

So what is happening ?? Could it be that I'm tightening belt too much ? Seems unlikely as it's way I've done it since getting the 450 ages ago.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Now decided to give the Integrated one piece tail unit a go ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2708104354...84.m1423.l2649

Cannot be any worse !! What I do note is that it has 2 bolts to secure to boom and it is in one piece instead of those two small weak points that combination tail uses ..

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

I don't fly helis now but did a little in the past.

It sounds to me like you have some vibration, maybe something is out of balance.
If mine started doing that, after working good for while,I would probably take it totally apart, and start over, checking everything as I went.

Vibration can sort of focus on a part and destroy it, even though the part was not the cause. I have many friends in a very active heli club, about 2 miles from my house, the thing that I noticed, is that their choppers are much smoother running than my old one was. They told me they balance every rotating part in the heli, trying to stop all the vibes.
Good luck, I have been thinking of a clone heli but so far I haven't had the time to do any more than that.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK - while waiting for all-in-one tail mount to arrive - I got hold of the standard 2 piece again.

Fitted mount, slacked of the belt and now all fine. No noises .. tail flying as it should.

So it appears that the belt being tight may have had an effect ... that's assuming that the mounts that broke were of 'proper' metal machining and not just useless rubbish !

Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

GREAT I am glad you found the problem, sounds like it was an easy fix.

I am not going to get a big heli, until I get real good with my MSr and a larger one I have. My older fuel powered heli is too old to get any parts if I broke anything, so I will get a clone unit like yours, I am glad to know they do work OK.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
GREAT I am glad you found the problem, sounds like it was an easy fix.

I am not going to get a big heli, until I get real good with my MSr and a larger one I have. My older fuel powered heli is too old to get any parts if I broke anything, so I will get a clone unit like yours, I am glad to know they do work OK.

I've read so much about how bad Clones are that I wonder if I live in same world. Mine has had it's troubles - but what do you expect if you go from a Syma S006 Shark Co-Ax to a 450 ?
All the troubles I put down to me ... living in a place where there are only 2 other heli flyers I know of locally ....... and both of them are learning, 1 much faster than other as he doesn't fly fixed wing YET ... !!- I really have had to cope on my own.

Many of the things that would be sorted by other better flyers noting and advising - I don't get. So I read up everything I can and trial as best I can. Some work - some are disasters !

I also have to watch the pennies and that makes me have to buy of ebay and chinese copies. There's no way I could afford the learning curve if I bought Align or whatever more expensive.

Pleased with my $200 clone RTF (total copy of SE V2 450)........... yes 101%

Would I buy another ? Yes....

Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The Tarot all in one piece tail assembly is excellent and I am very happy with it fitted.

I have one 450 with it ... the other with normal 2 piece tail assembly ... both flying fine now.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk