Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #101
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

welcome back nigel,my email was down due to changing services again to save money. i don't think my answeres got thru to you when you were away, i'll post my new email address in my stats later. as far as hitting the the award...congrats....but i do plan on beating ya soon my friend and i hope others dare to compete...i have thrown the gauntlet down and the cost of the hkpj is so reasonable ,theres no excuse for others to explain to their better halfs they need to compete...lol.

when i post my run results it will be with the pitot system and hopefully a doppler back up. should be arriving any day from china[slow boat]

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #102
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
going up in pitch(like a higher gear)...amps & speed increases.....bigger diameter=increase in thrust or at least that is what I think I know!!, but your a/c might fly better/faster with lower pitch.....so many variables.

Wow Solent.....138mph...thats awesome. I understand your other thread(esc-epa) a little better now!!....figuring(similar motor) with ecalc a 5x6 has pitch speed of 171mph, 5x5 was 148mph(minus drag and real world conditions, i.e. cold as hell!!!!!!)....anywho pretty darn close

BTW were you gettin any weird readings with that ET V3, you don't have to deal with prop wash like I do, I mounted mine well out of prop wash.

Subscribed....waitin on 150!!....maybe I need one!!
cr
My ET v3 sensor is purely standalone with a RX mounted switch - so I can control it's on / off point. I am considering going for an on-board logger system - but then it's adding weight which I'd rather add to my motor / lipo ! I have no idea if strange readings on the sensor - all I can do is read the max speed it remembers.

I can say this .... anyone buying the ET v3 - it's a really good bit of kit BUT .... check carefully the glued joint of tubes into the main outer tube.
Mine fell apart as the glue used appears to be poorly bonding.

The construction is : Main outer tube with static holes back from the tip. The actual speed input is the tip hole and this is actually a second thinner tube inserted and this closes of the tip end of the main tube. This inner tube exits at rear of main as the sensor connection to board via plastic tube. The static part is a short bent tube that is inserted alongside the inner thin tube to pick up the static pressure inside main tube fed from the side holes. This second bent tube is glued to the inner sensor tube and main to seal of the end. care being not to get glue in any other areas etc.
The epoxy like glue factory used came away so easily but luckily remained in shape on the small static tube. This allowed me to refit the tubes as original and overlay a good quality epoxy to bond the assembly back and ensure sealed fittings.

It may be that some people experience erratic readibngs due to this glue 'blob' not being secure ? second that the tube system relies on it being in direct line of travel. Any offset ... even a few degrees will alter the air pressure directed in the pitot tube end and subsequently the speed calculated. To give an idea of extreme ... if the tip end was turned past 90 deg. of the line of travel - you can start to get into NEGATIVE pressure ... as eductor effects take over.

I have asked ET if they considered a 'bent' form of tube, to mimic an air-to-air refueling probe.

Final word ... I am considering the GPS module as my eventual route for ground speed, with Pitot as well for airspeed .... as I explained in another post - these are not the same.

nb : I am considering a "Need for Speed" T-shirt / baseball cap ... any ideas / designs / suggestions ... then please let me know ... Probably best way is to have a design / logo agreed and then people can then download it - approach a local T-Shirt / fabric shop and get their own made instead of the high postal charges for finished article ? I suggest maximum 3 colour simple design ... maybe breast pocket size ? Or maybe create it as a sew-on badge ?

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #103
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Two mods made today to PKJ ...

a) Twist wrap down through fuselage, under fuselage balsa stress inserts and back up to hold along with generous epoxy the Velcro strap that came free in last flight.
b) With velcro strap more secure - I can now use it to hold all leads / power connections to ESC etc. This now allows me to turn LiPo 180 degrees so power lead is at front, round and alongside LiPo back to ESC deans ... That few grams change now allows me to balance with my 920mAh 4S 25C LiPo .............

The range of Lipo's IO can now fit ....

3S : 1300mAh 25C, 1800mAh 25C
4S : 920mAh 25C

The original spec 800mAh 3S is now to light to balance my heavy heli motor. Once I upgrade to my lighter insane motor - the LiPo range will expand and hopefully I can use lighter packs but keep speed.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #104
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

nigel,getting frustrated waitting for the pitot v3 to arrive with my 4850 kv motor,,,.

i was wondering about the way the v3 will read speed. if i do a straight wot run and slow down,land ,and read it then the speed should be accurate. my question is will it read differently if at full throttle we pull up hard ,will the turn in flight effect the readout of speed recorded since these lil birds whip into turns with blinding speed? i have 5 of those hk switches your using in my stock supply that i bought for switching on sirens for a loud lost plane locator device i would have needed when flying over the medowland marshes. but i don't have any more room under that pj canopy. i was also wondering if your using the bec in your esc,or did you add a ubec? i think i;ll stick with the bec in the turnigy plush 60 amp esc since i'v found them to be pretty reliable.

just for kicks,heres the lost plane finder that works great in large farm fields or marshlands.

lost plane finder,very loud!! easy to make and as loud as a smoke detector going off in your house.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #105
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)

Ok. I think it's time for me to enter the fray... :-)

It takes regular 9g servos, right? I have a bunch of 9g towerpros sitting around. I'll use the recommended 3500kv 200W motor to start with. Probably won't be fast enough, but I think I want a lighter slower plane so I can get used to it. Hobbypartz have some good ones in their Exceed Optima series that I may consider when I feel like going nuts. :-)

AMA #959089
Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #106
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

...ordered! Let the madness begin!

AMA #959089
Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #107
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

Once I'm done with the 200W motor, I may go for this

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m92-ducted-2210-4300.html

...or this...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m94-ducted-2210-4900.html

...or I could borrow this from my HawkSky from Hell...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m96-ducted-2220-2700.html

...but that one might be too heavy and too low kv.

AMA #959089
Old 03-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #108
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

OUTSTANDING!!!NOW I KNOW THE COMPETITION IS GOING TO GET ROUGH!!!

very cool to have ya join the need for speed madness pontus[njswede], i was hoping you'd get the bug as this sort of thing is very addicting and really doesn't cost a lot out put to experiment...lol. i also have a feeling you'll push it to the limits to be top speed...lol

so heres the deal,when i get the v3 speed reader from hk and install it,i will drive to your field[or your welcome to come visit anytime] and we'll video the runs and maybe i can get a phone app Doppler to backup the led reading on the v3.which we can video right on the spot landing.

but one things for sure and keep this in mind...when i crank up the donsrc 3000kv wicked motor on a 1600mah 4cell...she is very loud!! like everyone at the field turns to see what the hecks making all that noise,i love that sound so we just need to be cool if your field is electric only as the decibel level blows away glow/gassers. the 3000kv even made the funjet guys running 6cells shock at the power[to bad it had a bad launch that day,repaired and waiting for the v3]

if you want ,i'll mail you my hkparkjet #3 kit sitting on my table so you don't have to wait...it's yours for the cost and shippingfrom china[i'll gladly pay the post from my side of jersey to yours...lol]. it's otherwise waitting to see what gets built and what i'll have to do to beat the best. i gotta say,hobbyking shipping was less than 2 weeks on the pj's i'v ordered,but the little stuff i ordered last week still hadn't been pulled off the shelf for shippingg till a few days ago.

so come on gang,the challange is on!!!i challange anyone else to put together the fastest flying $14 hobby king park jet kit[arf] and post the records as they come in thru nigel[solentlife].he's keeping a spread sheet which will be reciveing info very soon.

man....i gotta get to thi sticks on the remote and off the sticks on the build table...winter is over and the bird of time is getting closer to fuse modiffication for brushless design...its next and the last of the build to do.

pontus,lets us know what mods you do to strengthen the fuse and how your ging to outfit the power for it. looking forward to seeing pictures of your choices my friend,stu

Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #109
Jason S-9

Friends: (0)
Default Motor Mount

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread for a quick question, I hope the author does not mind.

After looking very closely at the all the pictures from HBK and am I correct that the piece of wood does not get used with the stock motor mount?

I epoxied the snot out of the mount and added an extra carbon brace between the 2 vertical pieces for extra strength. (its not glued into the plane yet)

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #110
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

Jason,welcome to wattflyer and no need to ask anywhere else. the answer is the carbon fiber mount that comes with the kit doesn't use the stick supplied for stick mounts if purchased separately.

i glued the stick in and then added the stock motor mount...it was to high,and looking at the photos at hk site ,you won't see the stick.

but the carbon stock mount has been reviewed as garbage and a sure break on the first rough landing.

i suggest the alloy mount Nigel is using and which i just got from leaders hobbies for $2 each. they are strong lightwieght alum,and you can also get the plastitic stick mounts like i'm using for pj 1 &2...#3will use the alloy mount.
scan back a few posts to see nigels mount,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 107.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	157911

Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #111
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
nigel,getting frustrated waitting for the pitot v3 to arrive with my 4850 kv motor,,,.

i was wondering about the way the v3 will read speed. if i do a straight wot run and slow down,land ,and read it then the speed should be accurate. my question is will it read differently if at full throttle we pull up hard ,will the turn in flight effect the readout of speed recorded since these lil birds whip into turns with blinding speed?
The ET reads maximum speed and does not change until a higher speed is read. No matter how many times you power up the ET after - unless it sees a speed of 15kph or higher - it will not update with next speed.

i have 5 of those hk switches your using in my stock supply that i bought for switching on sirens for a loud lost plane locator device i would have needed when flying over the medowland marshes. but i don't have any more room under that pj canopy.
I've removed the switch as i need room for the 4S, I am willing to risk error due to dive speed while pushing the envelope. nce get to what I reckon is the limit - I shall refit the switch to get a more accurate run.

i was also wondering if your using the bec in your esc,or did you add a ubec? i think i;ll stick with the bec in the turnigy plush 60 amp esc since i'v found them to be pretty reliable.
I use the built in BEC ... only running 2 servos ... why a UBEC ? If someone was running a separate power unit than the lipo because of short run-time - that would make more sense, but added weight.

Nigel

Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #112
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Ok. I think it's time for me to enter the fray... :-)

It takes regular 9g servos, right? I have a bunch of 9g towerpros sitting around. I'll use the recommended 3500kv 200W motor to start with. Probably won't be fast enough, but I think I want a lighter slower plane so I can get used to it. Hobbypartz have some good ones in their Exceed Optima series that I may consider when I feel like going nuts. :-)
The servo slots are for slightly smaller than 9gr. I used a soldering iron to make the mount area that mm larger all round.

Tips :

a) measure up and fit servos so arms exit TOP of wing and not under as designed. Use longest arms you can find in the servo packet ... then cut back movement with Tx EPA.
b) I used thin gauge metal control rod inset into lower surface of elevons to stiffen them up - when you get the kit - you will see they flex very easily. Metaql as i used means I can bend to remove any distortion of moulding or crash !
c) To hold lipo in the 'cabin' needs a velcro strap ... but the foam is not a good hold for the velcro ... so I ran twist-ties through fuselage and back up to lock velcro down as well as epoxying in place.
d) Warm the very end of the canopy foam and bend up so that air has a better exit to cool the ESC etc. Bend it so that it is level with planes axis.
e) CoG is bang on centre of the hand-holds under. It is very difficult plane to set this - so I inserted small tubes into leading edge 90 degrees to fore-aft line of model, at CoG and then have two wire L hooks that fit into the tubes. You can then hang her and play with lipo's moving back and forth to get exact position. A pen can then mark for various packs and where they need to sit.

Great to have you on board ... the Need for Speed team is growing !

Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #113
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Jason,welcome to wattflyer and no need to ask anywhere else. the answer is the carbon fiber mount that comes with the kit doesn't use the stick supplied for stick mounts if purchased separately.

i glued the stick in and then added the stock motor mount...it was to high,and looking at the photos at hk site ,you won't see the stick.

but the carbon stock mount has been reviewed as garbage and a sure break on the first rough landing.

i suggest the alloy mount Nigel is using and which i just got from leaders hobbies for $2 each. they are strong lightwieght alum,and you can also get the plastitic stick mounts like i'm using for pj 1 &2...#3will use the alloy mount.
scan back a few posts to see nigels mount,
as Stu says ....

The stick is for the 10mm standard stick mounts ... and as Stu says - I use the alloy mount as HK sells. It accepts all the motors we could ever want to fit to this baby ... the stick spreads the load along the rear fuselage.

Note : DO NOT USE the supplied glue for serious speed machine - it's not good enough and the wings, fins and stick mount will move / flex / break out. You need to epoxy or other serious glue to take the stresses / flex that will occur in the fuselage in high speed flight. We are pushing this machine way outside it's design envelope.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #114
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I am surprised it's taken so long ... but finally disbelievers have surfaced.

That's fine - I'm not bothered.... RCGroups thread has thrown up a duisbeliever who believes calculations more than practical result.

I am not worried about this, and honestly if anyone else doesn't believe - come forward ... discuss ... that's the point of this thread ... to get the PKJ going. I honestly believe we are so far outside the normal run of things that theory and practice are showing wide margins from each other.

We need more people with extreme speed results ...

Anyone interested in a Need For Speed badge / T-shirt / baseball cap ?

Cmon guys !

Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #115
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Swapped out motor for 5000kv EDF and found following ....

Bench run :

5000kv motor ( 2610 )

On 3S 25C
Amps : 48A
Watts : 420w
RPM : 23600

On 4S 25C
Amps : 51A
Watts : 525W
RPM : 29700

Motor extremely hot and rpm audibly reducing .... needs serious setting-up to be useable.
What is interesting is the large jump in watts .... but lesser jump in RPM etc.

All on same 5x5 prop.

It appears to me that maybe there is a limit to prop size and what can be realised. It is interesting that with the 3700kv heli motor we had similar RPM and greater watts on the 4S ... this only goes to confirm my earlier idea that watts are good - but pitch is better.

I'm back with my 3700kv heli motor and will up my ESC ...

Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #116
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

if you want ,i'll mail you my hkparkjet #3 kit sitting on my table so you don't have to wait...it's yours for the cost and shippingfrom china[i'll gladly pay the post from my side of jersey to yours...lol]. it's otherwise waitting to see what gets built and what i'll have to do to beat the best. i gotta say,hobbyking shipping was less than 2 weeks on the pj's i'v ordered,but the little stuff i ordered last week still hadn't been pulled off the shelf for shippingg till a few days ago.
Gosh... You're just so generous I'm not even sure I can accept your offer... But then again... I'm sure I'll need a spare fuse at some point...

If you're really serious, I can send you a PM.

AMA #959089
Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #117
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

all right njs,just to be clear my friend...i'll send ya the one i have sitting and will take the one you have on order on the slow boat from china when it gets here in a few weeks.....the only freebee would be me shipping my extra bird to you...which wouldn't be more than a few bucks for overnight deliverery.[it su.ks that we paid 17buck for a 14 dollar plane to be shipped from china],now if hk stocks these in the usa...then the shipping should be less and delivery would be quick.maybe i'll surf the 25 pages in the hk usa stock since they don't seperate items in stock to do a quick search. they don't even state battery cell counts for zippy batts which are a great deal from the hk warehouse and shipping is very quick. they do have the radjet in the usa warehouse,but i'v already outfitted a fun jet ultra from headuprc.

i just figured you'd like to get started,gluing and painting and reinforcing sooner than later; let me know and i'll pop it in the post .besides,i'v met and trust you,and i know where you live...lol...

but when the one you ordered arrives....i want it!!!!! [see,i'm not that generouse]

i seriousely am looking forward to putting #3 together with the best of the best hardware once we find the right combination of power to go the fastest

pontus,it great to have you onboard with this challange,i think many a man is intimidated by all this "lets fly fast!"talk.not us! we just have to stop at 200mph do to ama ruleswink wink,know what i mean.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #118
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

We have no speed limit here ............

Really annoyed - when doing bench tests yesterday - on putting gear away, walked through door with PKJ in hand - caught doorframe and broke elevon and wing tip. Epoxied all back and painted.

Trouble we are having finding suitable flying site now as Airport this year is off-limits ..... and our back-up site just outside the area had Rescue Heli's doing stuff in / out of airport ...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #119
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

How do you guys launch your parkjets? Discus?

AMA #959089
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #120
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
How do you guys launch your parkjets? Discus?
Depends on which one I'm launching: For the Radjet, I use the two detents on the bottom of the fuse. Toss and hope ! For my F-22, I either give it an underhanded horseshoe toss or backhand tennis stroke from the wing. For the F4, it's and underhand toss. The F-15 is strickly t.o.g.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #121
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

friends toss the hkpj with 1/2+ throttle,and it flys great. i have a buddy of mine at the field throw his own funjet and has no problems.

i'm hoping with the new homemade tx tray i made i'll be able to toss the parkjet myself once i get used to the tx staying put on the neck strap. i have no trouble tossing the skimmer or afoil yak type planes. i figure with enough power and a steep toss upwards ,it;ll be ok to do myself.....just need to get the feel of the faster birds more so not to over control.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	funjet ultra 109.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	157934

Name:	funjet ultra 112.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	157935

Name:	funjet ultra 111.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	157936

Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #122
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Really having trouble finding place top do speed runs now as Airport is under SAR control now and restricted access.

But as to launchers .... I have two options in reserve just in case !!

or

Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #123
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I know this is a PUSHER jet listing but in cont'g on with Parkjet .... I've been looking at conversions.
I fly a 50mm EDF as well ..... and have a 51mm DF unit sitting on the side. I sat it on the PKJ and it's not a bad size for it ... but then I wondered about 3 x 30mm EDF units ?
30mm units are tiny but powerful for size ... 2 of them could possibly be ballistic ?

Someone must have DF'd a PKJ ?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #124
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Using anothers Youtube vid as a base ... I bought some plastic plumbers tube / fittings and decided to try a launcher ...

The affair dismantles down ..... i have added angled braces from stand pipe to the actual rails in wood dowel.

My idea is that with sufficient power on a smooth polished plastic tube like this - she should slide ok ....

Trouble is it's really cold out there to trial it !!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #125
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

nigel,like the picture of the other launcheryou showed us but i can't locate the picture anywhere, i wonder if you extend the rails and make it so there are 2 top rails and 2 lower rails. the top rails could be set apart the distance of the vertical fins the bottom rails set slightly wider than the servo bump protectors on the bottom of the fuse. perhapes a set of piano wire gides on the botttom that won't effect flight. i know it would be more work and connectors,but the parkjet will require time and speed to launch acurately.

in fact...if we have enough power with just the right amount of length...we should set it up like a rocket launcher.imajine a vertical takeoff..lolll. ok,i guess a steep angle will have to do.

now what would be even better would be for it to work on the funjet also.

heres the video of the launcher that may just need a little more length.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GD9AlG2AE24

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets