Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #126
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I've watched that video again and again, in fact I downloaded it to study closely. As I see it ... the PKJ doesn't skew at all ... she doesn't touch the upper rails. The only thing is she dips and torques to left when she exits the rails. I reckon she's already literally airborn within a few inches as he is using 4S ...

I thought to do away with the top rails and also to get a slight bend down in the rails after the angle supports, so the PKJ is actually leaving the rails when going straight.
My rails actually run alongside the raised servos ... as I have 9gr servos in my PKJ ...

The wire underneath as you know was an idea I had before of wire skids to allow it to run along hard surface or wet grass for take-off. I haven't tried it yet.

While waiting for flying site and weather - I will be experimenting with props .... I have a few 5x5's spare ... so will cut one back to 4.5 and see what rpm / amps I get ... I'm hoping for significant rpm increase to get the magic 250kph !! Pitch I need to be as high as possible ...
I also have some 8x6 props .... mmmmmmm !!

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #127
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

bummed to hear about your flying site being lost,we used to fly down the road from a very busy small airport called teataboro airport and some time full size helies would fly low over our field.
due to 2 RC clubs not being able to get along and also the landowner deciding on tossing the clubs out ...that field is history.

I'm so glad i had already switched to rcrcc in Rockland county NY,a much nicer group to fly with.

i think the best thing to do is learn how to toss the pj's our selves and limit the possibilities of someone getting hurt. since i am flying the pj#2 and 4cell 3000kv,i should have plenty of power to use a launcher like the one show in the vid. i may price out pvc pipe at lowes or homedepot sat and see if it Worth the effort. like we've been saying all along,a lot of experimenting to get the best flight. weather here has been beautiful,but way to windy for any flying. sat forecast is 10-15mph with gusts to 25 and Sundays not better. gotta gt down to the cave and do some building...

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #128
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I'm taking the lull in flying to get my other baby back together .... General Flight listings ... thread Rebuilding Ultimte Biplane ...

The Airport now says we can fly but need pay $15 an hour, if more cars etc. - then its $20 an hour. Initially that sounds fine ... payment covers a group not each person. But in summer we fly nearly every day and usually group of 4 - 5 people. so it starts to mount up. Plus the increased SAR Heli's practicing .....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #129
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

Nigel,hey bud...glad to hear thing may work out for you gangs flying as a group,but there's got to be a field somewhere near you guys that can accommodate flying....offer a farmer the same dollars and get him into the hobby and you'll have a site for life...lol...just remember,when a small bird [or large]goes down in the corn,you may as well be looking for a needle in a hay stack. but the lil beepers they sell now to plug into an open channel works great...as long as the battery doesn't eject in the crash.

things will be quite here at the need for speed thread for a bit as i also have to go over the fleet of regular birds to be ready for spring flying. i need to pull wings and check screws,rx batteries,and over all conditions inside planes that don't normally get broken down to take to the field.

I'll check out the bipe repair thread your doing.

NJS ,when you get the parkjet,please do post what your going to put together in the beginning to get used to flying fast and then what upgrades you do so we can learn together.

for any one else.....do join in my friends....the ultimate success of pushing this hobby king park jet to its max speed needs more minds to reach the highest speed. the more the merrier.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #130
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Just checked out the field near my house .... it had electric cables and real rough ground before. Now they are building roads through it to develop next housing phase. With no money in Latvia now - the roads will be slow built and field basically remain semi-cleared. Trouble is they will erect street lights .... but 'm hoping that's not for some months yet.
Looks like I might have a hand-launch site within walking distance ...

Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #131
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Decided that a more steady / sturdy platform needed ... so an alternative was drawn up ...
This would be set-up on ground and angled up as required. It would be capable of launching heavier models with little addition of strengthening. It could even be used in conjunction with a bungee ...

Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #132
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Oh Dear ... I have to sort this launch matter !

I tried on 1/2 and full throttle ... both produced same left roll, kangaroo immitation into the deck ... till :

5 min epoxy and a bit of paint ....

The power and 5" prop I can only assume is the reason... too much torque when wings not working.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #133
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Have you given up on edf's for speed, Nigel? This one has my interest:http://www.nitroplanes.com/69a501-green-kit.html

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #134
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Have you given up on edf's for speed, Nigel? This one has my interest:http://www.nitroplanes.com/69a501-green-kit.html
Certainly not ..... my T45 gets more flight time than any other - even my Cessna. Today - she didn't though as the ESC failed. The -ve power cable is faulty and power was on-off when setting up for flight. It actually explains why on previous outing I had unexplained control problems and then next launch - she crashed.
All sorted - she now has my Red Brick 30A ESC in her ... the 20A original will get new power leads and used on another model.

Like the linked model - sort of Stinger come Hawk ... and 50mm ....

I'm still trying to figure out how to rig the 51mm in my T45 ............

Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #135
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Slice the T-45 in half. Insert 51mm. Glue together.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #136
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

According to EMS, my ParkJet has already reached New Jersey! Barring any customs problems, I should have it within the next couple of days!

So thank you for your very generous offer, but I probably won't need it. HK and EMS came through at record speed this time!

Let the madness begin!

AMA #959089
Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #137
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I've just today trimmed back a couple of 5x5 props to 4.6 x 5 to try and cure my excessive torque but keep pitch up.

With my set-up - I've decided that it's so torquey - I need a launcher who can cope with it ... Yesterday guy was not really used to such machines - great for Cessna and other floaters ... but we couldn't get her flying.
I have one such guy - he flies a grossly overpowered Skyfun so knows the problem. It was he who helped me get her going for the 222 run.

Hoping to maiden the props this week and I get a call 10 mins after cropping / balancing the props - I'm flying out 5am tomorrow for next job. Away for another couple of weeks .............

So by time I return, I shall be logging on when I get connection, I hope to see my record broken ... and a new target for me !

Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #138
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Props .....

4.6 x 5 alongside the original 5 x 5 ...

Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #139
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

It's here! A lot smaller than I had imagined. I'm going for a modest 200W setup just to get the feel for it. Then I'm probably going for a 480W 5000kv Exceed motor... *wrrrrrrooooom*

AMA #959089
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #140
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Looks like I will competition! I have a 5000kv waiting for esc. Problem with such high kv is the amps draw. My 5000kv hit 54A on 3/4 throttle before i shut down.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #141
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

I think I'm going for a much smaller prop than you, though. 4.1x4.1 seems appropriate for 5000kv @ 11.1V IMHO. Lots of RPM = good pitch speed at minimal torque. But that's all in theory. Maybe I won't be close to maxing out the power at 4.1x4.1...

AMA #959089
Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #142
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

we are spoiled by the easy choices of props and access to them. i have a drawer with several of each 4.1x4.1, 4.5x4.1, 4.5x4.5 ect..ect...up to 5x5 for the hkpj and the funjet,also using emp and apc props i got from headsuprc. seriously hoping to get the hkpj#2 up and speed recorded......i want to break the record....and then go even faster

njs ,you've flown my club field,would yours have more space for speed runs? glad to hear your pkj arrived and you'll be getting started.

any day for my 4850kv heli motor to arrive. theres always a package for my wife waiting by the front door when i get home from work,and i get my hopes up only to be looking for the register delivery card so i can go to the post office and sign for my stuff.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #143
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
njs ,you've flown my club field,would yours have more space for speed runs? glad to hear your pkj arrived and you'll be getting started.
I would definitely say it has more space. Judge for yourself. Flying limits are the tree lines. I'd say the length of the field is over 1000ft (edit: It's more like 1200ft). Edit again: If found the google map distance measure tool. The length is 1321ft. Big enough for you?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=north+...ersey&t=h&z=17

You are always welcome to fly as my guest! It would be an honor to have your speed record recorded at the North Branch RC Field!

AMA #959089
Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #144
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Has anyone considered fitting a Gyro to the roll (aileron) side of this baby ? To counter the torque roll on launch ? I have a spare Gyro from my back-up 450 Heli.

Actually with a my set-up being 1 elevon servo being to Elevator ch, other to Aileron ch ... how would you connect a Gyro ?

I use a 9X radio and that has facility to switch on / off a gyro or change it's reaction type from Heading Hold to Rate mode in flight. So maybe full heading hold for launch ... get her flying and flick switch to rate mode so it helps but doesn't hold a heading ( actually a bank as in aileron )...

Any ideas guys ?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #145
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Has anyone considered fitting a Gyro to the roll (aileron) side of this baby ? To counter the torque roll on launch ? I have a spare Gyro from my back-up 450 Heli.

Actually with a my set-up being 1 elevon servo being to Elevator ch, other to Aileron ch ... how would you connect a Gyro ?

I use a 9X radio and that has facility to switch on / off a gyro or change it's reaction type from Heading Hold to Rate mode in flight. So maybe full heading hold for launch ... get her flying and flick switch to rate mode so it helps but doesn't hold a heading ( actually a bank as in aileron )...

Any ideas guys ?
I love that idea and I have a couple of HK-gyros that I was going to use for a camera rig I never found the energy to build.

So I will definitely experiment! I'm thinking rate mode would be enough to compensate a torque roll. If I understand it correctly, in rate mode it will just counter any rotational acceleration with a control input proportional to the acceleration. That should, in theory, counter any torque roll tendencies. Heading hold is obviously more accurate, but would have to be switched off right after takeoff. I personally hate having to fiddle with switches in-flight and considering you have fractions of a second to react when you're taking off something that's fast with an insane wing loading, I'd opt against having to switch something off.

The trick is obviously to dial in the right amount of gain. Overcompensating would be a bad, bad thing!

AMA #959089
Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #146
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

And so it begins... Everything stock so far, except the decals and the motor mount. The only paint I had in my garage was black and gold, so that's what I'm going with. Extra credits for figuring out where decals come from.

AMA #959089
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #147
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

decals from money shot, 3dhs extra,airfoils profile foamy..... i can't remember what else is in the hanger that you had #'s from. the pkj looks nice,but even better when in the air. this wind we've been having is a real bring down for flying anything except helies....the helie gang fly on some of the windiest day when planes are grounded at the field.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #148
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
decals from money shot, 3dhs extra,airfoils profile foamy..... i can't remember what else is in the hanger that you had #'s from. the pkj looks nice,but even better when in the air. this wind we've been having is a real bring down for flying anything except helies....the helie gang fly on some of the windiest day when planes are grounded at the field.
The decals are from a HobbyZone Super Cub. My first (and thoroughly crashed) plane! I had a spare sheet of decals I thought I should use.

AMA #959089
Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #149
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I love that idea and I have a couple of HK-gyros that I was going to use for a camera rig I never found the energy to build.

So I will definitely experiment! I'm thinking rate mode would be enough to compensate a torque roll. If I understand it correctly, in rate mode it will just counter any rotational acceleration with a control input proportional to the acceleration. That should, in theory, counter any torque roll tendencies. Heading hold is obviously more accurate, but would have to be switched off right after takeoff. I personally hate having to fiddle with switches in-flight and considering you have fractions of a second to react when you're taking off something that's fast with an insane wing loading, I'd opt against having to switch something off.

The trick is obviously to dial in the right amount of gain. Overcompensating would be a bad, bad thing!
More I think about it - the more I agree that rate mode would be way to go. HH as you say needs to be switched of. With HH as well ... when you power up - gyro will reference THAT orientation until you give control input ... mmmmmmmmm rate mode is the way !

On RCG - I got shot at for suggesting a Gyro !!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #150
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
The decals are from a HobbyZone Super Cub. My first (and thoroughly crashed) plane! I had a spare sheet of decals I thought I should use.
Make sure you have a real contrast top to bottom ... this baby needs it !! And when it gets away a distance - it's all grey and just make sure you KNOW which way up she is and direction she's heading ! Seriously - this is one small bird that soon gets difficult to see ...

Gyro it is then ... but HOW to connect it when I have separate servos for each elevon ? Maybe just have it act on one ?... ie the aileron channel ?

Std helicopter set-up is tail servo via the gyro to Rx ... Gyro sense to aux ch.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets