Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Drifter

Friends: (0)
Default 450 class power systems, advice needed

I'm looking to move up to a Trex 450 Sport, but I am wondering if the motor in the "super combo" deals would be too powerful?

I am not going to be doing wild 3D flight, much more interested in sport flying and scale flight, a decent flight time is very desireable too.

Can I achieve this using the deal motor, or would a more economical motor be a better choice. I am guessing that a lower headspeed will be more stable and aid flight times, but is that done by just restricting throttle or using a smaller pinion?

What sort of flight time can be achieved with the deal motor? (the 450M)

Trainee pilot
Plane: ST Model Discovery - awaiting repairs
Heli: E-Flite Blade SR - training in progress
Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
JZSlenker

Send a message via AIM to JZSlenker
Friends: (1)

You can certainly use that setup if you want to although if you are trying to save money you may be able to go another route. You can turn an CP heli into a more tame flyer by adjusting your throttle and pitch curves. I learned to fly on a 450 tamed down to a trainer.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
Drifter

Friends: (0)

It's not to save money, since the deal is a lot cheaper than buying the electronics separately. I just need to get my head around what will affect what and how.

And then save up to buy it

Trainee pilot
Plane: ST Model Discovery - awaiting repairs
Heli: E-Flite Blade SR - training in progress
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
JZSlenker

Send a message via AIM to JZSlenker
Friends: (1)

you will be fine then as long as you tame down the throttle and pitch curves in your TX
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I'm going to step one step further and say DO NOT buy a slower or less powerful motor.

You may and many do ... I know I was one until I was shown ... that a slow headspeed is good ....... NO ! The model is designed for a headspeed range and within that range it becomes stable and answers control input better. Slow down the headspeed and your inputs have to be increased to make up for it ... making the heli go all over the place as you 'fight' to keep it steady.

Final comment - most RTF / Combos are not sorted to 3D standard ... they are more general flight and so the motor should be OK.

My RTF has a 3500KV in it and for my second - I bought a 3700KV ... difference ? Not a lot !!

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk