Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways
Friends: (2)
Default Mountain Models Art Chester's Jeep!

I just completed and maidened a 16" scale Jeep from Mountain models. It flew like a dream and is super light (about 1 oz.). I have not finished the details but I will post some pictures.

It took me one evening to build it. Tonight I am putting on the decals and adding some other details. I am going to size the plans up to 30" span as well and build a stick frame version of it. I am going to try for 12 0z. or so with 4 channels. I may combine the MM design with a sized up Comet Models plan to get the stick frame design just right.

It uses the micro spektrum bricks and a P-51 motor from Parkzone. This is an awesome flyer and a real joy at the field. It can be landed on a sidewalk or small patch of asphalt like a park basketball court.

It is really fun, I started laughing watching it float around in a small circle and set up easily for a landing. This is a micro flyer but more challenging than the PZ Champ or cub but not too difficult for a beginner with some hours on a Champ or other slow flyer. This one is fairly quick in comparison but slows down nicely for landing.

What a riot...

Dave
Old 09-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

Good job Dave - you have found a new, rewarding way to enjoy your hobby.

Your 'ultra large scale' version of the Jeep - I've done a couple of similar projects, one involved blowing a 25.5" rubber powered FF model up to 51" for rudder, ele and motor. Look around for some stick-built RC model plans - there's several websites around that'll let you do so with no expense - rather than a stick-built free flighter, as you have to allow for getting the RC gear in, different wing and power loadings and so on.

Have tossed in some shots of my ultra large scale models to hopefully inspire you some.

What you are heading into is good fun - finish the two to look the same and take plenty of photos for the rest of us.

D

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	152837 Doesn't really show, but this version of he 1950's FROG Raven is 36" span, not 18"

Name:	Sportster top left.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	152838 Another ultra large scale, nearly complete at 51" vice 25.5"

Name:	Top front left side.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	152839 'Great Big Sportster' structure - much as the full size apart from where the RC and e-power bits poke their noses in
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
payne9999

Dereck,

I found several great stick built plans for the Jeep. I scaled some up already to various sizes. I want to stay small for now but large enough to carry a real receiver and servos, probably 33" or so.

Nice models! I have been building some of Pat Tritles short kits but they are around 50". They are just larger models that are very much like the old stick and tissue Comets or Guillows only much better thought out and quite detailed.

I just finished a scratch built Comet Jeep at 16" and .92 oz auw with the spektrum micro brick and a 150maH battery.

When I was a kid I started building Comet models and never really stopped. I lived for talking my mom into taking me to the 99 cent store to buy my next great plane that was going to fly better than ever. Have not seem a real Comet kit in years but I have harvested dozens of the plans off the net.

P.S. If anyone reading this knows what a .99 cent store is, I probably know about how old you are!

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files
File Type: pdf JEEP R14.pdf (105.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: pdf art_chester_racer_-_comet_16in._span_kit_plans1.pdf (324.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 09-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

I suspect 99 cent stores pre-date my arrival in the US, even if that was in the last century But I get the idea. My 'pocket money' about covered an 'Airfix' 1/72 scale 'plastic model' or half a KeilKraft flying kit.

Which they never did when I'd done with them...

If you fancy a change from Comet, etc, I can recomend the 'House of Frog' at: http://www.houseoffrog.co.uk/ for some alternative 1950s FF kit plans. My 'Raven 2X' started there oddly enough, and I know of a guy who did the twin tailfinned 'Linnet' at 200% for REM control a couple of years back. I have their 'Tomtit' biplane under 'drawing and doodling' right now.

The 32" Raven 2X has a Spektrum AR5300 and ittybitty micro servos but mostly because they weren't doing anything else when it got built. There's plenty of room and weight allowance for a regular small 2.4 RX and two micro servos. The motor's silver, weighs 25gm and overpowers her at 70W or so - around 45 - 50 watts makes her fly like she should, I guesstimate. With present day micro gear, scaling her up 2X probably was a waste - could have gotten more attention if I'd scaled it down 2X!

That Jeep has to be about as minimal a structure as possible!

D
Old 09-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
payne9999

I built the Frog L-19 a while back from plans but it came out a little heavy for the motor I had. I do like Frog plans as well.

I have a Midkiff B-25 (42" rubber power originally) in the shop right now but I am trying to decide what to build next...kit or scratch.

I found a thread on RC Forums that literally has hudreds of PDF plans so I have been collecting my favorite plans there (
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1265873&page=6 ).

Also, I found a site called Hip Pocket Aeronautics that is really interested and they have a free collection of plans as well. http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/

Dave
Old 10-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

I've just finished up a Jeep myself. A very relaxing, straightforward build. It went together quickly and easily. As always with a Mountain Models kit, the parts fit, wood and design/engineering were wonderful. I ordered some graphics from Callie to finish it up.

I saw Brian (the guy behind Mountain Models) fly his prototype at NEAT in September, and it flew very well, and was far more aerobatic than I would have thought. Brian had a lot of fun throwing it around the sky, in a very small space.

I haven't had a chance to maiden it yet, but I hope to soon before the weather here turns towards winter. I'm attaching some pictures of the build and the finished model for those who might have an interest.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jeep parts 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	153744

Name:	jeep parts 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	153745

Name:	Jeep finished 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	153747

Name:	Jeep finished 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	153748

Name:	Jeep parts covered.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	153749

Name:	jeep9.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	153750

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft