Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
RuthlessINXS
OCD Knowledge Hoarder

Friends: (0)
Default Extreme Flight 60" Edge/Extra Setup for Sport?

I was wondering if any of y'all have tried flying the Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T-EXP or Extra for sport flying as opposed to 3D? I am trying to come up with a power system for sport/aerobatic flying instead of 3D. I've been looking strongly at the Scorpion and Hyperion motors as they seem to be some of the better built motors but I'm open to anything.

I've looked around the "intertubes" a bit and setups range all over the place, even from Extreme Flight themselves (aircraft pages gives 5-6S setups but motor specific page ranges from 4-6S with contradicting props). All the setups I've seen on youtube and the like are for 3D (makes sense, I know) and have short flight times (6min) due to the maneuvers being performed. I'm hoping someone has flown this beauty for sport and come up with a solid balance of performance and flight time that they wouldn't mind sharing. I'd really like to be able to hit a reliable 10min+ flight time but please post any setup you have.

Thanks for any advice y'all can pass on.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I have a couple of smaller 3D models (a Precision Aerobatics Ultimate AMR and a Extreme Flight Yak 54e). I fly them in a normal 'sport aerobatics' way most of the time and they are great, even with the normal 3D power set up. Flown this way both will do 9-10 minutes, no problem.

I'd say just go with the recommended power set up, i cant see any reason to change it. If you want improved duration go for the larger end of the recommended battery range.

Steve
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by RuthlessINXS View Post
I was wondering if any of y'all have tried flying the Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T-EXP or Extra for sport flying as opposed to 3D?
I had a chance to run three packs through one and it weas a really saweet plane. In fact, I am planning to get one. It was set up for 3D, but the low rate was pretty close to what I would recommend for sport. You can set it up to use the low rate from the manual as your own high rate, then fine tune your own low rate to your preference. That is generally the best way to set a 3D plane up for sport. That, and move the CG about 1/4 ahead of where the manual calls for.

That should give you a pretty decent sport plane. We've converted dozens of 3D machines to sport with really good success.

I am trying to come up with a power system for sport/aerobatic flying instead of 3D.
The extreme Flight torque motors and airboss ESCs are going to be the best choice because that is what the plaes are engineered to work with. They fit with no fuss and no modification, and they are awesome power sysrtems anyway. That, and there's a great combo price on Extreme Flight's website.

I'm hoping someone has flown this beauty for sport and come up with a solid balance of performance and flight time that they wouldn't mind sharing.
I was getting 5 minutes with a 6s 2800 pack, but I was flying it reallly, really hard. Extreme Flight has tested the plane with as much as 6s 5000mah batteries and it was fine. It was a little porky for 3D, but the plane is so light anyway that the extra battery did not turn it into a pig.

For sport you don't really need super blast out power, so you might even get away saving weight with a 4s battery. I have flown the torque 4016 in a similar sized and weight plane (57" and 5 lbs), and it was fine. In fact, probably perfect for sport, but marginal for 3D. Now, if you want super ballistic speed, you'll need to go to 5s or 6s, but for sport I am thinking 4s would be enough.

I'd really like to be able to hit a reliable 10min+ flight time but please post any setup you have.
I am guessing that 4s 4000 would give you about 8 minutes, but you can always call Curtis at Extreme Flight and he can tell you for sure. They test these planes with all kinds of battery combinations.

Please check out my blog: Extreme Aviation
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
gdwyer
Scale EP Planes & Helis

Club: Shankill Radio Flying Club

Hi there, I have this amazing plane and fly basic IMAC style (no 3D) with the following results.
Hacker A50 16S v2 with 85amp CC speed controller and 10amp hobbywing BEC
I use a xoar white wooden prop,9 15x8 and fly mostly 50-60% throttle.
I have both 5100 and 3300mah 6s lipos, all are 30-45c and are never even warm at the end of each flight. (voltz with prefitted deans connectors)
With the 5100 6s, I start to land after 8 mins on alarm, and end up with between 33 and 48% remaining( mostly 42-48 ) and sometimes even after my 8 mins if Im not happy wit landing, loads of juice left for 3-4 more attempts.
With the small 3300 lipos, it is harder to bring down, floats forever, but I only fly for 5 mins and have about half left also.
Im sure with my setup and a 5000 6S you will get 10 mins plus.
Its the best plane I have ever flown, on rails, and I am ordering the 78" extra next month to use my 3300's in pairs (12s) with a hacker A60 22S

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0234.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	158839
Old 10-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
motorhead540

Club: funfliers

I just picked up one of these with a e-flight power 60 400kv motor and plan on flying it on 6s3000-3300 packs any thoughts currectly has a 15x7 but thinking of a 15x10 or 16x8

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)