Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
mayday73

Friends: (0)
Default New guy here:successful maiden of SuperCub

Hey guys,

About a year ago I got into flying helis. Worked my way up to my current bird..a Trex 550. I've put an obscene amount of money into her and it's extremely stressful to fly her. I'm working on it.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a plane and after alot of research I decided to pull the trigger. I woke up this morning and literally said "I'm going to go get that SuperCub." I walked away with a SuperCub LP, batts, and some DuBro tires.

I was lucky to have a friend who has been flying planes a while go with me to help. We assembled the SC at an enormous field behind a school and he took it for a test flight and trimmed it out for me and brought it back in. I grabbed my DX7, pulled back on the elevator and gunned the throttle and away she went. What a glorious, gratifying experience it was to fly 4 packs through it without a single crash.

My buddy was impressed at how well I did and frankly, so am I. I'm hooked. I'll likely spend the rest of the night reading this site and others devouring as much information as I can. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I hope to fly all day. That was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Chris
Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Welcome to Wattflyer and to the addiction. Glad to read you had successful flights with the cub she is a easy flier. Here's to fair skies and no wind for tomorrow's flights.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (38)

Congrats Chris!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by mayday73 View Post
Hey guys,

About a year ago I got into flying helis. Worked my way up to my current bird..a Trex 550. I've put an obscene amount of money into her and it's extremely stressful to fly her.
Chris
Been there, done that Chris.

Heli's are cool, technical, and maintenance intensive, and require concise concentration.
I'm simply not interested in working so hard to have a good time with RC!
Flying fixed wing for me is volumes more relaxing.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Hey guys,

About a year ago I got into flying helis. Worked my way up to my current bird..a Trex 550. I've put an obscene amount of money into her and it's extremely stressful to fly her. I'm working on it.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a plane and after alot of research I decided to pull the trigger. I woke up this morning and literally said "I'm going to go get that SuperCub." I walked away with a SuperCub LP, batts, and some DuBro tires.

I was lucky to have a friend who has been flying planes a while go with me to help. We assembled the SC at an enormous field behind a school and he took it for a test flight and trimmed it out for me and brought it back in. I grabbed my DX7, pulled back on the elevator and gunned the throttle and away she went. What a glorious, gratifying experience it was to fly 4 packs through it without a single crash.

My buddy was impressed at how well I did and frankly, so am I. I'm hooked. I'll likely spend the rest of the night reading this site and others devouring as much information as I can. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I hope to fly all day. That was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Chris
Sir.
my hat is off to you. Put simply SWEET

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
tarheal63

Send a message via AIM to tarheal63 Send a message via Yahoo to tarheal63
Friends: (3)

Now starts the Modding!! Soon you will have a $400 SuperCub LOL.

HZ SuperCub. PZ Spit(Older), Dynam EZ Hawk, GWS A-10(prop), HL F9F Panther, GWS ME-109, E-Flite P-47D, Jodel BeBe 9, HL Wicked Wabbit P-47, BL Slow Stick, PZ T-28, Electrifly SE-5A, HL Mig-15, PZ Stinson, Quad and Tricopters
AMA #973528
Old 09-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
mayday73

Thanks guys for the replies. I can't stop thinking about how much fun I had today.

Nitro Blast I agree completely. When flying helis I'm concentrating too hard to enjoy myself. It's not until later that the day registers as a good time.

Today I was able to start having fun immediately. My buddy had his heavily modded SC buzzing around me to keep things lively.

One of the first things I did when beginning with helis was get Phoenix. It has really paid off. Due to me not knowing how to tweak it properly, flying the SC for real was much smoother than the sim!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
tarheal63

I love my cub, even with all of the faster prettier planes that I have, I always take the cub out. I still fly the stock motor and it is just the most relaxing flying I do.

HZ SuperCub. PZ Spit(Older), Dynam EZ Hawk, GWS A-10(prop), HL F9F Panther, GWS ME-109, E-Flite P-47D, Jodel BeBe 9, HL Wicked Wabbit P-47, BL Slow Stick, PZ T-28, Electrifly SE-5A, HL Mig-15, PZ Stinson, Quad and Tricopters
AMA #973528
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
mybad

I can't stop thinking about how much fun I had today.
THAT was step one. For step two, spend $21 on a set of floats to really increase the fun!!! Then spend $521 for a kayak to retrieve it when the inevitable happens.

But seriously, float flying was one of the major reasons I bought the Super Cub, and I am very happy I did. It is a BLAST! I'll bet your friend already has a set of floats. Perhaps you can persuade him to let you try them out.

Like you, I started out with helis. Like me, you'll probably find yourself flying the Super Cub more. It sure is fun going to the "Dark Side".
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by mybad View Post
THAT was step one. For step two, spend $21 on a set of floats to really increase the fun!!! Then spend $521 for a kayak to retrieve it when the inevitable happens.

But seriously, float flying was one of the major reasons I bought the Super Cub, and I am very happy I did. It is a BLAST! I'll bet your friend already has a set of floats. Perhaps you can persuade him to let you try them out.

Like you, I started out with helis. Like me, you'll probably find yourself flying the Super Cub more. It sure is fun going to the "Dark Side".
My Step 2 was a minicam but I am thinking about the floats for winter snow. They are cheaper than skis and skiing for that matter

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #11
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Floats? Yes! Question is, Bonez, pay the $24 for the stock floats or make my own? What do you think? Can't be hard at all, can it?

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I dont think it would be hard at all with my hot wire foam cutter and some sandpaper

Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
mayday73

Hey guys,

A little update. The SC is nestled safely in the top of a 75ft tall tree. No way it's coming down. I considered cutting the tree down but realized wielding a chainsaw on public school grounds probably wasn't a good idea. Is it wrong that I was tempted?

Now, some may say this was foolish but I bought a PZ T-28D that I have successfuly maidened. I did however smack the ubiquitous soccer goal on my third landing. Ripped the wing right off the fuse. Some glue and tape and she's ready to go again. Looking forward to flying again this evening if the wind will die down some.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
tarheal63

I am sorry for your loss...truly.

AMA #973528
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

I put my sea cruiser in a taaaaall tree 2 months ago and another guy did the same thing a tree over from me ten mintues later ,dam trees were ganging up on us that day. A fellow flyer brought out a very long fiberglass pole and a ladder and pushed them out for us but i was doing over 70 mph when the tree jumped out at me so i got back my motor and servos, rec and some other odds and ends. I wished i would have been going faster, my parts would have just flew out the other side. joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners