Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)
Default One of those days....

Ever have one if those days when the "Sky Goddess" wakes up pissed off and looks down to see who to hassle and picks you?

I think she picked me today.

Just finished a work deadline, winds predicted to stay under 6 mph all day, temps down in the 70's instead of the 90's, and a new PZ Spit to play with. Life is good.

Yeah it is a little cloudy, but so what. Load up 3 planes and head for the field. I no sooner get there and get the first plane set up and down comes the rain. Ahh well, hang out and visit some and wait for it to pass - not really supposd to rain today anyway.

Two hours later I am soaked to the bone, no blue sky anywhere, so I head back home. I am not home for more than `15 minutes and the rain stops and the skies start to clear up. So I wait about an hour to be sure, and then head back to the flying field.

The flying field is a city designated flying area next to the city art center. I get back there and there are cars everywhere - parked all over the field. No way I can fly. Back home again.

That's OK, I can work on some planes and organize some of the hobby stuff n the garage. Need bigger wheels on the Spit anyway, she is nosing over on the grass.

So I change wheels, build another plane rack, clean up the garage enough to make room for it, sort through a bunch of hobby stuff, and I am content.

But I really did want to get a couple more flights on the Spit today. So at around 6pm I head to a park near my house just to try out the new wheels. She noses over twice -wheels are rubbing on the strut - darn - did not notice that.

Oh well, I will just run a quick flight on the Trojan to get her trimmed - changed the radio she was on - and head back home.

But I have the thought - I guess I am just not supposed to fly today - but one quick flight should be fine.

So I am getting the Trojan ready - it is in the bed of my pick up and I am leaning slightly over the side to connect the battery - radio is on - throttle is off - I always check that - I connect the battery and put on the hatch - the radio falls over - full throttle - prop pins my hand agains the inside of the truck bed - not good - I yell a couple of choice words and shut down the throttle with my left hand.

The two guys playing tennis next to where I am parked run to the fence and ask if i am OK. I pull my hand up from inside the bed to take a look at the damage and we watch the blood dripping off my finger tips. They offer me a band aid - the whole back of my hand is red and the blood is dripping off all four fingertips. I am wondering what it looks like under all the blood, but I am pretty sure a band aid isn't going to help much, so I say "Nah - I will just run home and take care of it.

So I put the Trojan and the Spit back in the truck. The prop on the Trojan is snapped off - no wonder my hand hurts - and drive home - only 3 blocks.

I walk in the house and my wife sees my red hand and says "What did you do now?" Such confidence she has in me LOL.

So after I wash up good with soap and water and get the blood off I can see I have six nice slices runing down the back of my hand. Lucky no fingers or wrist got involved. I just have a nice bruise on the back of my hand.

But the good news is that I will not catch any flack tonight about watching the Michigan / Notre Dame game - sympathy is a powerful thing and stupidity has it's own rewards.

Soooo, hopefully the "Sky Goddess" had had her fun with me today and I am now off the hook, but watchout, no telling who could be next on the list.

Wolfe
Old 09-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Yeoch!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
So I am getting the Trojan ready - it is in the bed of my pick up and I am leaning slightly over the side to connect the battery - radio is on - throttle is off - I always check that - I connect the battery and put on the hatch - the radio falls over - full throttle - prop pins my hand agains the inside of the truck bed - not good - I yell a couple of choice words and shut down the throttle with my left hand.

Soooo, hopefully the "Sky Goddess" had had her fun with me today and I am now off the hook, but watchout, no telling who could be next on the list.

Wolfe
A guy in my club did that with a 70 sized four stroke engine several months ago.

After several surgeries, the surgeons have most of the tendons put back together, and there is some recovery of the nerves. He's still wearing a full bandage on his hand, and it may never get back to normal. A few years ago another club member did that with a big 60 cc gasser. Permanent loss of several fingertips.

If you're running a DX7 transmitter, someone figured out how to use the gear switch or Aux switch to disable the throttle.

Take a look: (This is not original, it was found in the Internet)

http://www.whitehillseaglesrc.org/me...ttlesafety.pdf
Electric Flight Safety

Ideally every electric aircraft you have should be equipped with an arming device on the craft itself
(either and ESC switch or power interrupter plug) as well as having a throttle cut switch on your
transmitter. Since electric motors can startup unexpectedly and inflict a lot of painful damage the
double precaution can avoid some nasty injuries. Although an arming switch/plug on the aircraft ought
to be sufficient on its own there are times when it is armed with the intention of flying but something
distracts you and the aircraft is now vulnerable to a careless jog of the throttle lever, the transmitter
becomes your last line of defense.
I have implemented a transmitter disable switch for all my aircraft (helis as well as conventional planes)
this way the process is second nature to me. The idea is that whenever the aircraft is not expected to fly
the transmitter switch is in the disable position. The moment before takeoff I switch it to enable, fly as
required then the moment the aircraft touches down and I have completed taxiing it I always click the
switch to disabled.
Some of the more advanced transmitters have the ability to set a throttle cut switch up within their
menus however others need a little work to make it happen. Below I give the process needed to set up a
Spektrum DX7, it is likely this technique can be used on other transmitters, it is well worth doing and if
you are still unsure how try looking online for your particular transmitter.
In my case I use the switch at the top right hand corner of the transmitter as the kill switch, this seems
to be a standard as far as I can tell, the DX7 does have a label saying HOLD for this switch (as well as
Ruder D/R).

Setup Process For the Spektrum DX7 Transmitter:

From your selected plane setup menu (pressing scroll and select simultaneously) move to one of the
mixing channels (kyleservicetech used Mix 3, for mixing with the gear switch).
Select source and destination for the mix to be THRO (short for throttle), the display should show:
THRO -> THRO
Now move to the rate section and set both sections to -100% (you will be able to set one of them with
the throttle stick down and the other with it up).
Move to the SW: section and set it to MIX
Move to the OFFSET section and set it to -100%.
If you toggle the gear switch you should see the text to the right of the THRO -> THRO change from OFF
to ON, when this reads ON the throttle is disabled (this should be with the switch pulled toward you).

[PROG.MIX1]

THRO->THRO ON RATE: -100%-100%

>SW:MIX

OFFSET:-100

Carefully try this out with your model turned on, with the switch toward you it should not be possible to
start the motor at all (even helis should be disabled despite the position of the idle up switch). And, as
always, check all remaining transmitter functions for both direction and unexpected operations. In case
something else got changed by accident.
All that remains now is to cultivate the habit of ensuring the switch is in the disabled position whenever
you pick up the aircraft and whenever it is not on the flying field.

Last but not least, be sure to set the throttle trim to center, or zero off set. If this is not done with the DX7, throwing the gear switch can change the throttle setting at the idle speed of the ESC.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

After I had a few similar close calls - with only models damaged fortunately - I started leaving the throttle in a position where the motor will not arm when the pack is connected.

That way if you bump the throttle xtick the most that will happen is it arms and gives you a warning.

I dont know about the off brand esc's but with Castle you can leave the throttle stick at mid position or full throttle and its safe to plug in the packs. The esc will not arm until you go to low throttle.

Its a good habit to get into

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Nieuport Fly Guy

Friends: (3)

Wolf...a bad day can only be followed by a good day! Glad your hand was ok! Ouch!,
Old 09-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus

Nice read of your day sorry it ended bad at least you where able to use the sympathy card on the wife. I don't think that would of worked for me.

I have one thunder tiger 30 amp ESC to arm it you have to go to full throttle first I like that idea. I was on hobbypartz and some of the newer ESC they are selling have the same feature arm first before the throttle works.
Be nice if all the makers of ESC's did this.
By the way your hand might hurt even more today than yesterday ice will be your friend.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
wolfewinde

Hey Guys,

Well I was lucky. Changed the dressing this morning and cuts look clean, swelling went down, no red around the cuts and it actually doesn't hurt much at all, but there is a kind of deep bruise feeling.

I will ice it again today off and on just be sure it doesn't swell up again and have one of my "Nurse Type" kids take a look at it - we have one nurse, one paramedic, one former army medic, and one nurse-in-training in the family, so I am sure one of them will volunteer to come over and check it out.

Got out his morning and flew a couple batteries - and the Notre Dame/Michigan game was superb - although, being a Michigan State Grad, I would always prefer to see Michigan lose LOL.

Wolfe
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

Wolf
Sorry to hear about your day and your hand. Hope both are doing better.
It was quite a game. As an Ohio State grad, I try to root for the Big 10 (or however many there are this week) vs anyone, but Uof M is a tougher nut to crack. Go Spartans ( at least until Oct 1)
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
wolfewinde

Darn, Dumo, I might have to take you off my Christmas list now that I know you are Buckeye - I was just starting to like you, too. Big 10+ has a few ranked teams again this year - nice to see.

I think the hand is going to be fine - just glad I didn't lose any fingers or cut a tendon.

Wolfe
Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

What in the world is Johnny One-Star doing in an instructive thread like this? As usual he has nothing constructive to say explaining why he believes this thread "terrible." To me that means it has no relevance to the subject of electric model airplanes, contains no information that could even possibly be of use to anyone reading the thread. As usual with a Johnny One-Star rating, that is not the case. As usual I have fixed it.

Actually this thread deserves a five star rating. The OP has nothing to gain by admitting a rookie mistake that any of us can make just by not thinking through what we do. The possibility of a severe injury from a prop strike is one thing that is NOT an advantage of electric flight, and anything that keeps us thinking safety is a five star item.

Thanks wolfewinde! Your pain is our gain! Why don't the rest of us give this thread five stars and get the rating up where it belongs?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
wolfewinde

Thank you, RR. My purpose in posting was to help remind us all to be more careful. It is too easy to get in a hurry, get distracted, or just start taking too many things for granted when you fly a lot like I do.

It only takes a split second for something to go wrong. I was fortunate, could have easily been a lot more damage, but the hand is healing just fine.

Wolfe
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Yep been there, done that, and got the scars to prove it.

I swear it's Murphy(aka Murphy's Law) dressed in drag not some goddess thou.

I love my tx, it's pretty much Brad (aka DUMMY) proof. Throttle has a kill switch and won't arm the throttle unless the stick is in the off position.

I may be dumb enough to defeat one of the switches, but as of yet haven't been able to screw up both of them at the same time.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Club: Gooney Birds Flo, SC
Friends: (13)
Exclamation 5 Star Thread

I agree, we all makes mistakes, glad your ok!!! OUCH!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #14
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I have had days like that before ,all you can do is go home , go to bed and pull the covers over your head and hope tomorow is better. Sorry to hear about your hand tho ,i just crash planes and have not gotten to the point of hurting myself yet. joe
Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
wolfewinde

Heya RK,

Yeah - there is always another day. We have had great weather this week so flying has been excellent every morning. Needless to say, I am being more careful

Wolfe
Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Heya RK,

Yeah - there is always another day. We have had great weather this week so flying has been excellent every morning. Needless to say, I am being more careful

Wolfe
At the sac water funfly i went to 2 weeks ago they were all talking about one of their club members that was starting a big two cycle gas motor and he stuck his hand in the prop some how . It took off the tips of two fingers even with the gloves he was wearing. Elecrtic motors can be just as bad with sharp props and easy to loose body parts,be carefull out there guys. Alway make sure your hands ,wires or any other thing is out of the way of thos props and never arm your esc till your ready to fly. joe
Old 09-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #17
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways
Friends: (2)

I have had days like that before when for some reason you are getting a message not to fly.

I had one recently where I decided not to fly after several things got in the way (annoying kids at the park chasing planes, dogs chewing planes, soccer games etc.) so I went back to the shop, accidentally pushed my plane off the work bench making some unrepairable damage to the tail only to work on replacing the tail and managing to jam an X-Acto knife blade into my hand up to the handle. Spent the evening in the urgent care place waiting for stitches.

Later I considered quitting RC. That lasted for about 30 seconds and then I was back in the shop working with a bandaged hand. The thought occurred to me that I need some Lidocaine and a suture kit in the shop so in the future I don't need to waste time going to urgent care. I guess I could have used CA, after all it was developed for the Vietnam war as liquid sutures.

Dave
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I like your style dave, i have gave myself a couple stiches before so i would woud not have to drive and wait in the doctors office or pay him too. I cut my own casts off after soking them a bit . I dont get hurt often but when i do its a good one. joe
Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
After I had a few similar close calls - with only models damaged fortunately - I started leaving the throttle in a position where the motor will not arm when the pack is connected.

That way if you bump the throttle xtick the most that will happen is it arms and gives you a warning.

I dont know about the off brand esc's but with Castle you can leave the throttle stick at mid position or full throttle and its safe to plug in the packs. The esc will not arm until you go to low throttle.

Its a good habit to get into
Good idea, especially since from what I've read here you can't put an arming switch on a brushlsss motor unless you can find a three pole switch that doesn't weigh more than the plane. I have Castles on both of my planes too. Does anyone know if this works on Jeti's as well?

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways

A conventional switch typically won't have a high enough current rating and would be rather large if it did. What I have seen folks do (I am also going to do this) is put a small auto fuse receptacle in the side or bottom of the plane and use a 30-50 amp blade type auto fuse as a fail safe switch. You just plug in the fuse to arm.

There is a thread somewhere here or on the other RC Groups forum that goes into detail. I will look for it....

This type of fuse:

Dave
Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Good idea, especially since from what I've read here you can't put an arming switch on a brushlsss motor unless you can find a three pole switch that doesn't weigh more than the plane. I have Castles on both of my planes too. Does anyone know if this works on Jeti's as well?
Some of those 2.4 Ghz computer type transmitters have mixes available that allow blocking throttle until a switch is thrown on the transmitter.

Take a look at posting #3 in this thread for the Spektrum DX7.

DennyV
Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #22
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
A conventional switch typically won't have a high enough current rating and would be rather large if it did. What I have seen folks do (I am also going to do this) is put a small auto fuse receptacle in the side or bottom of the plane and use a 30-50 amp blade type auto fuse as a fail safe switch. You just plug in the fuse to arm.

There is a thread somewhere here or on the other RC Groups forum that goes into detail. I will look for it....

Dave
This would work well for the lower powered models. But the contact material on these fuses, and their related "Sockets" may not stand up to repeated insertions. That might result in extra head on the fuse during flying.

Another option is a Anderson Power Pole, or Sermos "Shorting Link". These type connectors have silver or similar type plated connectors that will hold up fairly well. Both of these connectors have spring loaded contacts.

DennyV
Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #23
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

My bigger birds have additional safety(dummy) guards in addition to the tx ones.
They use a Deans plug set up for a kill switch, and a rx switch.

Have to plug in the Deans to power the esc, after the pack is installed, and the switch has to be thrown for the rx to come alive.

So for me, it's tx on, warning flashes for proper channel after it checks for someone else on the channel. Then I get a warning of no arm until stick is in the off position. Install packs. Install Deans. Flip rx switch on. Return throttle to off.
Turn switch on tx to kill throttle off lock. Surface/range check. Now ready to crash......err fly.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
My bigger birds have additional safety(dummy) guards in addition to the tx ones.
They use a Deans plug set up for a kill switch, and a rx switch.

Have to plug in the Deans to power the esc, after the pack is installed, and the switch has to be thrown for the rx to come alive.

So for me, it's tx on, warning flashes for proper channel after it checks for someone else on the channel. Then I get a warning of no arm until stick is in the off position. Install packs. Install Deans. Flip rx switch on. Return throttle to off.
Turn switch on tx to kill throttle off lock. Surface/range check. Now ready to crash......err fly.
Are you powering the esc BEFORE you power up the rx?

I set my bigger birds up almost like you do but when I first plug in the packs, the esc is still UNpowered because of the shunt.

However the rx IS powered up. Sometimes I also use a seperate rx switch - especially on the really big birds with failsafe switches etc.

My point is, the rx gets power while the esc is still unpowered.

That way I can check control opperation and throws, range chack etc with no fear of the motor starting.

I then get the model out to the flight line ready to taxi. Only then do I plug in the main shunt and power up the esc.

The main power shunt is last to get plugged in on take off and first to get unplugged when landing.

I use APP's as my shunts.

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #25
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC

I had a OS 61 surpass that backfired, spun the prop off and took a slice off the tip of my nose. It scared the bejesus out of me. After that I stated double nutting all my props on 4 strokes.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions