Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
wittpilot

Friends: (0)
Default HELP!!! RX problem!!

Hello All,

I have a big problem. I am still fairly new to the RC Hobby, and I own the Parkzone T-28, P-47, & the Wildcat. The T-28 & the P-47 are connected the DX5e & the Wildcat to my Dx6i...

The other day I went to go flying and I turned on the TX and connected the battery for the 28.... I got the initial tone, and the 3 following tones from the ESc, but nothing else... No lights on the RX & no final beeps... It looks like the RX is getting no power. I tried re-binding, no go. The P-47 flew fine. The next day I tried to diagnose the problem. I was checkign to see if it was teh 1100mah battery, so I plugged the battery in on the P-47 and I got the same problem. Okay, I thought I had the culprit... but now the P-47 does the EXACT same thing with it's normal 2200 mah battery!!!!

I am lost... how can I have two separate airplanes w/ the exact same problem!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!

-WITT
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
RJGowrie

Default HELP!!! RX problem!!

The dx5e doesn't have model memory, does it?

If I'm right, you can't possibly bind the dx5 to both planes at once.

Try rebinding it to one of the planes and see if that works. Then rebind to the other plane.

Let us know if this helps

Cheers

Russ.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
wittpilot

I tried rebinding the T-28, no dice. The RX never blinked or anything... The TX was bound to both airplanes. Someone else suggested a bad BEC on board the ESC. But what are the chances that two would go within a day?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by wittpilot View Post
Hello All,

I have a big problem. I am still fairly new to the RC Hobby, and I own the Parkzone T-28, P-47, & the Wildcat. The T-28 & the P-47 are connected the DX5e & the Wildcat to my Dx6i...

The other day I went to go flying and I turned on the TX and connected the battery for the 28.... I got the initial tone, and the 3 following tones from the ESc, but nothing else... No lights on the RX & no final beeps... It looks like the RX is getting no power. I tried re-binding, no go. The P-47 flew fine. The next day I tried to diagnose the problem. I was checkign to see if it was teh 1100mah battery, so I plugged the battery in on the P-47 and I got the same problem. Okay, I thought I had the culprit... but now the P-47 does the EXACT same thing with it's normal 2200 mah battery!!!!

I am lost... how can I have two separate airplanes w/ the exact same problem!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!

-WITT
Sounds like something has changed on Tx ... as that is the only common item across the 3 items ... 2 planes and Tx. You have a switch not at default position, throttle hold switched on ?

If I have my throttle hold engaged - I get similar and no doodah from ESC to say all is well and ready. But my Rx's do show LED's ... (I don't use Spektrum though).

I suggest returning everything back to factory default on Tx .. rebind each Rx to separate memory ... Spektrum I believe has model memory specifics where only one Rx will operate with each memory. Most other radios don't have that and all Rx's will operate with all memories on a Tx ... as long as bound to that Tx.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I tried rebinding the T-28, no dice. The RX never blinked or anything... The TX was bound to both airplanes. Someone else suggested a bad BEC on board the ESC. But what are the chances that two would go within a day?
Sounds more like Tx problem ... not in the model. Rx light will only come on when it's got a signal from the Tx ...

The ESC will give out tones but no DOODAH at end if Tx is not received by Rx.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Yeah it sounds like the DX5 maybe the culprit. Since you have the 6i, try using it to see if the planes will bind and work properly.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
wittpilot

Okay, I am hoping you guys are right, sorta...... lol, I hate to hear my DX5e is no good, but better that way since i have the DX6i... I just shipped the 6i out to Horizon to get repaired, so I'll try binding them to that as soon as it gets back!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Throttle trim got moved. Now it thinks some throttle is still on so it won't arm the motor. Turn it down/back to normal. You can do it with the tones. Run trim up and down while listening. You can hear the middle/neutral spot. Go below neutral if you have to.

Yes, you can bind to all the planes you want with a DX5e...BUT, you will have to reset ALL controls properly to the exact spot they need to be every time you change planes or you end up flying plane A on plane B settings. This, of course is a royal pain making the DX5e more or less a single model TX unless you have a LOT of patience and are very careful.

Why do you think so many are for sale all the time?

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Also, make sure the Tx is not to close to the Rx when binding or connecting. If too close it can interfere with proper connecting/binding.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
wittpilot

I have tried all the things suggested, and no dice... Now my brother's PZ P-51 is doing the exact same thing with his DX4.... No light on the RX when we plug in the battery... The ESC makes it's initial beep & then the 3 beeps for the lipo count, nothing else... Same thing that is happening to my T-28 & P-47.. I am getting curious as to why the exact same problem is happening to all these airplanes...

Here is something I tried though, I took my PZ Wildcat, and took the ESC power end out of the RX in the Wildcat, and plugged it into the THR slot in the RX on the T-28... hooked up the battery, and viola, I had blinking in the RX in the T-28... So I know it is not a RX problem... Now, why are all these ESC's not working ?

Could just the BEC's have gone bad in the three airplanes? It seems like the ESC's have power from the battery, but no juice out to the RX.

witt
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #11
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Call Horizon. Me thinks their quality control may be going to he!!. At least they can walk you though trouble shooting it.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)

In my honest opinion, certain tools help diagnose stuff like this. A digital volt meter is invaluable at a time like this. If you suspect the ESC's BEC is suspect, check the voltage coming off wires heading to the receiver. the orange or white wire is the signal wire, the other two are positive and negative. If the BEC portion of the ESC is bad, you can bypass that and run an external BEC.

A servo tester is invaluable for testing servos without having to sort out a receiver.

A wattmeter is also a must, it will help you verify the amps and volts so you don't overtax your ESCs, motors and lipos.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 10-11-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
wittpilot

Does anyone suppose that I am doing something to cause this problem? Since I'm new to the hobby, I was pretty careful to do the same routine each time... yet, this has happened to three airplanes.....

-witt

Also, If i remove the BEC red wire on the receiver lead from the ESC, would that work? Or does the Receiver need that wire to get any juice from the battery? I thought the BEC just cut out the engine and saved battery power for the servos.....
Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Also, If i remove the BEC red wire on the receiver lead from the ESC, would that work? Or does the Receiver need that wire to get any juice from the battery? I thought the BEC just cut out the engine and saved battery power for the servos.....
The Rx needs + / - power leads from somewhere ... in old days it used to be a separate battery pack of 4.8V .... then with advent of ESC electrics - the BEC came along removing the need for most to have a separate Rx battery.

If you remove the BEC red wire from Rx ... then Rx will die. It will not have power to work. You will then have to either connect a separate battery pack or put red BEC wire back in place.

BUT NEVER have both together ... you risk burning out Rx if you connect separate battery and BEC at same time.

Note that any servo socket on RX can be used to power the RX ... that is why ESC can do it via the throttle position.

It might be an idea for you ... I have a battery case that holds four AA NiMh batterys and a lead with plug suitable for plugging into Rx. I use that to test Rx / Servos when I don't want to use a LiPo or the ESC ... as in bench test servos etc. Be careful not to use when BEC is powered up from LiPo though ...

Hope above makes sense ..

Cheers Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions