Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Epowerreg
Real Flying

Club: They cant handle it...
Friends: (0)
Default Park rules did not mention gliders so what does that....

Over here the city govt published that no battery or gas rc models are allowed in the parks. Does anyone know why would they would not word it as simply no rc models period?

Just wondering if someone would know who is familiar with city operations.

Its been like this for a few years now and nothing has ever come of enforcing the rules. I have seen many fliers here. Just to be safe I use the high start. The police came to watch one day and said have a good time so I dont have any problems from my end.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by Epowerreg View Post
Over here the city govt published that no battery or gas rc models are allowed in the parks. Does anyone know why would they would not word it as simply no rc models period?

Just wondering if someone would know who is familiar with city operations.

Its been like this for a few years now and nothing has ever come of enforcing the rules. I have seen many fliers here. Just to be safe I use the high start. The police came to watch one day and said have a good time so I dont have any problems from my end.

My guess is it was authored by someone who was not deep enough into RC to know to include them, I'd bet they figured they got them all via electric/gas (and technically they did as even gliders have a battery, and servos hence are controlled with a battery).

And BTW, you have 'no problems' because you havent created any. The moment you hit someone/something with a glider, or once someone complains that you are flying over the soccer kids or dog walkers, the sign will enforce the city code, and you will get the short end of the deal. The friendly cop will smile as they hand you the ticket.

In Ca, our signs usually state "No Radio Control Model Activity".

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Our local park , half playing fields, half nature walk area, has a ban on RC flying. It was instituted story goes after a guy flew his nitro plane into a park vehicle.

A small group of us fly electric there all the time, almost exclusively mid-week, generally in the AM. and never when the fields are being used by teams. We keep our 'noses clean'. There is some cranky lady that tries to get us kicked off by calling the Park Super occasionally, or the cops if it looks like someone is parking illegally (the cops don't care-we've talked to them). The Park Super comes by (not a happy person to be doing this) to check out if we are being careless or stupid. We never are. We don't let the occasional nitro person that shows up fly.
We chat for awhile and the Super goes away. She hasn't been around in months so either the crank isn't calling or the Super has decided who the real problem is. Other park people have said they like us there as we clean the place up and our presence in non-peak hour seems to keep some of the problem people away.

Technically we could lose this obvious privilege of being overlooked any time. We try to make sure no one has a reason to kick us off. We have not gone officially to the Park and asked to be allowed to be there. We figure that would just make them have to find the rule and kick us off. They are administrators when push comes to shove and an official judgement needs to be made. I've been involved in trying to change rules of that sort in other circumstances and it's a major pain.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

I actually called the police station in one of the towns in my area that has a great big park to fly in and asked them if it was legal. The answer I got was "Not really, but we're not going to bother you as long as you're being responsible". That seems to be the attitude in a lot of towns around here.

An interesting aspect, however, is what happens to my AMA insurance should the unthinkable happen. Would I not be covered because there's a formal (however unenforced) ban on flying?

AMA #959089
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
what happens to my AMA insurance should the unthinkable happen. Would I not be covered because there's a formal (however unenforced) ban on flying?
Call AMA. That's what they are there for.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Also, call the AMA and ask for assistance in gaining permission to use a park for RC. We did that here in Mesa (where all types of RC are banned in all parks except for the 2 we have permission to use).

As for the glider question, is it not battery powered? Even if it has no motor, there is still a battery onboard to power the electronics, correct?

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
Epowerreg
Real Flying

We don't have any signs up mentioning rc flying here at all.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
chrisudy

Originally Posted by Epowerreg View Post
We don't have any signs up mentioning rc flying here at all.
Not all parks are going to have a flying ban posted. For example, in New York State parks, model airplanes and rockets are not allowed unless you have a special use permit. Of the two state parks near me suitable for flying, only one is posted that a permit is required for flying. I have been asked by the parks police to show my permit in other park (where it's not posted). Just because it's not posted does not mean a ban exists... One day you'll get the cop who's having a bad day...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Epowerreg
Real Flying

We do have the permits mentioned here too when all this was first talked about.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

My guess is the "ban" is for powered aircraft, and probably a noise ordinance / safety thing. Non-flyers dont see a lightweight plane that "just floats lazily around the sky" as any threat to either (Hint: don't mention dynamic soaring when talking to anyone!).

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 11-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

If gliders are not mentioned than I would assume they are OK. I would not consider the receiver battery as battery powered. They are talking about the motor.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes