Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
reef_rc

Friends: (0)
Default ElectriFly de Havilland Tiger Moth Issue?

I've recently put together Electrifly Tiger Moth a few weeks back and have been flying her on and off. Two questions I have for those familiar or have one in their hangar.
  • Mine came out a little nose heavy. Not a big deal as 1/2 trim seems to keep her nose up OK. I don't want to add additional weight to the tail if I can help it just b/c 4-5 minutes flight time is already short and don't want to shorten it further by adding additional weights. Is this common?
I am getting a bigger battery (600mAH versus 300mAH) but a little concern on the addition weight toward the the nose so I am not sure what things I can move further back to offset the weight without adding extra dead weight toward the tail.
  • I am using standard recommended motor (Rim 250), esc (Great Planes Silver Series 8A Brushless ESC 5V/1A BEC) and propeller (Great Planes 8x6 Power Flow Slo-Flyer Electric Prop). However there are times when ESC and Motor gets very hot and basically shuts down the motor. This happened several times and on multiple occassions. As a test, I tried a smaller propeller (7x3.5) and was able to do 3 full batteries/flights (4-5 minutes) without issue yesterday. Heat was also not an issue. Any experience similar issue?
Besides propeller (7x3.5), any other size prop you can suggest which would give me more power without killing the ESC/motor as I believe the combine cannot handle the recommended prop. Prop (7x3.5) doesn't seem to have the same punch even thought it does seem to extend my flight time based on battery recharge reading I saw. Prop (7x3.5) came from E-Flite Fokker DVII I am currently building.
thx

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era