Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,989 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)
Default Lots Of Earthquakes Around the World, whats causing them ?

there has been a lot of Earthquakes around the world lately, What Is causing them, Could it be Comet Elenin, Would just like to hear from others about what they think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lavontak#p/u/14/H2jc5j0OKGY

could this be why Pres, Obama Was ordered to the Denver Bunkers ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW9_SL6FcOE

Hmmmm, Interesting

Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,989 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

FROM NASA

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL

Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Normal activity along the Ring Of Fire. Nothing new.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

Yep, there are always lots of earthquakes, this is normal. The rocky plates that make up the earth's crust are always moving and always have been. A reason quakes might (arguably) be getting reported more lately is most likely because earthquakes are more 'newsworthy' since the Japanese quake.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post

Hmmmm, Interesting
And indeed one guy with a YouTube video - highly credible. LOL!

Thanks for making me smile this AM before work.

Thank heavens the worldwide earthquake didn't happen yesterday!

Time for the tin foil hats!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)

This whole story is very serious and tragic...

...for the comet Elenin. Most evidence seems to suggest it got slammed to pieces by a solar flare when it passed the sun and turned into a thin cloud of dust and ice particles. And for those who think the demise of Elenin is the harbinger of death and destruction... not so much. From what I can tell, these events are pretty common when small comets get too close to the sun. And Elenin is/was tiny.

I think we can drop this one and move on to worrying about the Family Radio sponsored Apocalypse on 10/21...

Happy flying and stay away from them solar flares!

AMA #959089

Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Flatulence caused by excessive ingestion of substandard beer. In other words Chellie - it's YOUR FAULT

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)

Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Club: Renegade Air Force

NASA debunks comet Elenin doom predictions. My personal favorite, "It will have an immeasurably miniscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean's tides than comet Elenin ever will."

http://www.networkworld.com/communit...oom-and-gloom-

On all things doom, how have you all enjoy the previous ends of the world? World ending 2000, world ending 2-2-2022, etc. I'm personally looking forward to the next end of the world.

Doom predictions are nothing new.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post

Hmmmm, Interesting
naaaw he probly just wanted to play some basketball with the little green aliens we got hidden down there....

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Naw, he's off to Denver to give Kyle Orton some advice..

BTW - he just left my "office". Always a joy to watch AF1 lift, you could be shaving with a straight razor and never cut yourself - the pilot's THAT GOOD....

Jeff/LAX

Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I think we can drop this one and move on to worrying about the Family Radio sponsored Apocalypse on 10/21...
Yeah, I'm losing a lot of sleep worrying about that one

I find it truly hard to comprehend how there are seemingly thousands willing to believe, without a shred of supporting evidence, some crackpot who has no more credentials than possessing a Youtube account or a tin pot radio transmitter. Yet these same people are unwilling to believe the voice overwhelming peer reviewed scientific/learned opinion, the word of those in high office (ok I'm a bit sceptical on that count), or even their own common sense.
File this one under 'tin foil hat' along with over-unity devices, water powered cars, 9/11 inside job, FEMA death camps, 'chemtrails', fake moon landings and Elvis lives.....

Steve

Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

Ah! Chemtrails! Skeptoid is one of my favorite podcasts and my favorite episode is the one about chemtrails. Just listen to it! It's hilarious! Skeptiod.com is the address. I find his atheist rants a bit annoying at times, but if you skip those episodes, it's a great show!

Here's the episode:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4027

AMA #959089

Old 09-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Elvis is dead??? But I just saw him singing kareoke last week......

Jeff/LAX

Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Club: Renegade Air Force

Oh snap! Chemtrails? Really? I thought it was bad enough when I was in the 3 grade and everybody said they were smoke-exhaust from the engines and I refuted and said it was not smoke but condensation. Yeah I lived in the Outcast Bubble for a while for that unauthorized outburst of truth.

Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things is fun. I got When Prophecy Never Fails: Myth and Reality in a Flying-Saucer Group but it's way over my head.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Maybe the 'chemtrails' are causing the earthquakes; perhaps triggered by the rumbling bass of Elvis' singing in his secret underground hide-away?

Maybe if i made a Youtube video people would believe it

Steve

Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #16
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

If the threat were real, they're be an iPhone and Android app for it....

Jeff/LAX

Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #17
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

hey guys,i think your taking some very serious subject matter as a big joke..so for just one minute take time to think about the asteroid hitting the earth and killing off all mankind as very serious!.......................................... .....................................
............................................ok,tha t's enough.

by the way,the earth quack [name for NJ earth quakes] on the east coast was a government induced action to damage the Washington monument ,for which the tax payers will foot the bill for repairs

est repair bill to fill small cracks $100,000,000.01 and thats just for the material,labor costs will run into the billions and all road tolls will be raised 200% what they are now. a trip across the George Washington bridge will cost $200.

repairs will begin as soon as the goverment deides if it will remain running for another day,this is in debate in all levels of our goverment costing taxpayers more tax's dollars that the goverment says dosn't exist.

all i know is my property tax's are now $9200 for a 50'x112' pc of ground,and a small capcod home thats 70 years old,i did a google earth search for my yard and it's to small to be found when zooming in.[jk]

man ,i gotta go fly a plane and take a break. OOOOOO000ooooo i can't cause theres vip movement in the area,so no fly zones cover 3 states,i wouldn't want to fly my rc plane 20miles away from the vip's for fear i might loose control and the pig makes it's way into nyc .......i loose control and it goes down in front of me.......must stop venting...must stop venting..must stop.............[out cold]

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #18
tr4252

I was just thinking, sooner or later somebody will predict the end of the world, and it will actually happen.

Tom

Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #19
spad

Friends: (0)

I must go change the foil on my hat.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #20
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

truth is the end of the world has been prophesied and is in the future....just its not for us to know the day or hr's these things will take place.

i believe the good book in its entirety,and the 1000 year reign has to happen after the great tribulation.so no matter what false prophets say,10/21/11 will not be the end of the world. nor will one huge extinction event bring upon us a total demise before the these things written have happened..

when the end does come,this world will be toast!!!

but don't take my word for this info,after all ,i just ended a venting rant moment ago[just kidding]and am now wearing a tin foil hat the shaped in a tall cone.....o those blasted rays!!!!..............

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #21
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Friends: (8)

My older brother that lives in Florida got hooked on this mass hysteria topic of the world ending soon... he called me a few months ago after not speaking to me in over 10 years to say he's holding a family reunion. Long story short, after turning him down, he spilled the beans that his motive wasn't to have a family reunion but rather to get the entire family to buy into a group that owns an underground facility stored with years’ worth of food and was being prepared for this specific event ever since it was "uncovered".

I was dumbfounded that my brother would do all this in secret and then try and entice the rest of our family to follow his delusion. He even went so far as to pay money to fly down and visit this underground place and then buy a spot for him and his family... i haven’t heard from him since... and so i am seriously wondering if they are still down there... thinking the world above is destroyed and... um... how would they know unless they come up... um, so... is my family locked away in some cellar in the earth... are they going to come up for air or just live down there until someone suggest they drink the little red juice cup and commit mass suicide...

I told him that the world will not end just yet and I know this because God’s word has not yet been fully fulfilled. But I did tell him that if it was going to happen like he suggest, that I welcome it… because a life full of worrying about tomorrow isn’t much of a life at all.

I must say... the world is crazy... and if ever we needed a savior... it's now... and it sure as hell isn't Obama!!!!

God Bless us all,

-John

Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory!

AMA #964800

Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #22
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

Jap,

Right there this thread went from a lighthearted rant to deeply tragic. That's just plain horrible! I can only imagine what you feel. I would feel sad, angry, disappointed and powerless all at once. I've always wondered what drives otherwise intelligent people into delusion like that. I'm praying that he comes to his senses and you get a chance to reunite with him.

For once, science and faith are in perfect agreement here: There's a 100% chance the world is going to end, but most likely not right now...

AMA #959089

Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #23
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
must stop venting...must stop venting..must stop.............[out cold]
Whoooaaa!!! That is some rant, Stu! Doctor RC orders a huge dose of flying with your friendly neighborhood Wattflyer this weekend! Try not to go completely crazy between now and Saturday, ok?

AMA #959089

Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #24
spad

Friends: (0)

In Greek mythology, rain was Zeus pissing through a sieve: I'd hate to think of what an earthquake might be!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #25
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Par for the course on Planet Earth. No need to worry. Nothing we can do about it, anyway.

As for the comet, Without knowing the mass and distance to the comet, I can tell you this, the force of gravity is a fairly weak one. While we have NO IDEA why gravity exists and what it is, we can measure it. The formula for calculating the gravitational attraction between ANY two bodies in the universe is:
F=G(M1M2/d^2)

M1 and M2 = the mass of two objects
d=the distance between the two (force decreases exponentially with distance)
G=gravitational constant-6.67300 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2

G, being so small, means that a body in the solar system would have to be of HUGE mass to have an influence on something as massive as a planet. Luckily for us, G being so small makes it easy for us to make RC airplanes fly!

That comet is but a microscopic gnat buzzing through our solar system!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too

Closed Thread

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat