Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)
Talking Flew an EDF for the first time today

I've been rebuilding a 50mm EDF F/A-18 from Banana Hobby over the last few days for a kid in the neighborhood who penciled it in from about 50 ft at full throttle. Its back together, and despite my fear of crashing it, I couldn't help but fly it. Took it to school today, and while my students were taking a test, fiddled around with my TX to figure out how to program elevons. Its a bank-and-yank, with the elevators and ailerons conected to common servos.

After school, wind was extremely gusty, to 15-20 mph. Still couldn't help myself. Had a friend toss it into the air for me and off it went. I was really surprised by how easy it was to fly! The stability was far better than I expected, it cut through the wind like nothing, and glided power off pretty well. I flew it about 4 times, and at one point, I went vertical, throttled down to see how it would handle a full out, nasty stall, then gave it full throttle. It just hung in the air like a dang 3d plane! It seemed like forever, and I was twitching the controls to try to get the nose to come down. I've never had a plane in that postion before and, well, the pucker factor was really high. It seemed like a long time, but it was probably only a few seconds, the plane tumbled over backwards and came out of it nice and level. Figuring I'd pushed my luck far enough, I brought it in. My friend yelled, "bring it in like you meant to do that!" With slight thottle and a nose high angle of attack, it came in as if on rails right to my feet. I had a stupidly big smile on my face!

Cool airplane. I think I know what I'm building with the kids in the RC club!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

ducted fan isn't what it use to be....

congrats....

Old 10-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Send a message via AIM to FlyingMonkey
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  AV Contest 
Friends: (24)

Now, if you REALLY wanted to feel cool about your plane...

http://www.flitetest.com/articles/f-18-led-afterburners

Self proclaimed dictator of the Flite Test fan club.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

While you're at it, go to the 7 minute mark, and get something to clean the drool up with.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #5
skyman

Friends: (0)

I flew an EDF for the first time as well yesterday. What an experience! After only flying props, it is very difficult to explain what they are like. I found it easiest to just do what the plane wanted to do. For example, if the jet was starting to bank, I would just go on ahead and turn it. I was nervous about landing it, but she landed like a dream. I had that same big grin on my face after bringing her in a bit nose high, and stopping about a foot in front of a sign pole XD.

Happy flying
-Jack

"I didn't crash... I just did an inverted nose landing!"
Old 10-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Hey earthsciteach! Now you can teach a class on recycling too! You make those EDFs sound like fun. Sure would love to see your student's reaction to seeing his plane back in flying shape again.

Do you have all boys doing the RC thing, or do you have girls too? Do you have anyone just not interested in RC planes? I know my 20 year-old son would rather watch cars rust and I KNOW I'm genetically responsible. Anything that flies has been interesting to me since I was 5! Go figure.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
earthsciteach

Robbins-The plane actually belongs to a 7th grade kid who lives in my neighborhood, not a student. He and I do a good bit of flying together. My own kids show very little interest in RC airplanes, like yours. And, like you, I have been consumed by aircraft as long as I can remember.

I've attached a couple of before maiden and after maiden (augered in, staight down, full throttle by the little dude). He (Cooper-which is funny because that is also the name of one of my labrador retrievers) started out with an HZ mini-cub. His dad (never have met the guy-parents divorced) totalled that in a crash and replaced it with the F/A-18. That is a ridiculous step for a 13 yo kid to make! But, I think with a bit of mental conditioning, (flying really is knowing what is coming as opposed to reacting) I do think he can handle it. It flies surprisingly well.

He must be at his dad's this weekend, because he hasn't been over. But he knows I flew it and is excited to see it fly for himself. The plane is now a bit rough aesthetically now, but really impresses me with the ease of flight. I wish my 800 mm Spitfire was so easy and fun to fly!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6266.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	153470   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6273.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	153471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6274.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	153472   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6275.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	153473  

Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Dereck
Super Contributor

Amazing. When I was in High School, the pinnacle of our school library was a couple of early 1960's 'Aeromodeller Annuals' - at least for me, possibly the only kid who read them. Which I did well nigh continuously!

One had a long feature on P.E. Norman - the guy who 'invented' DF in England, from small FF to state of the art for his day radio. As in, button push rudder only!

P.E. had a unique solution to the random landing habits of free flight - build his models so strong, they didn't break. This meant they flew a lot faster than anyone else's FF models, for sure.

According to long time aeromodelling folk I met at 'Aeromodeller' many years later, they sold plenty of P.E.'s plans, but were vague as to whether any ever got built off them. One did show up at an Old Warden meeting around 1990 - but its flying speed was such that it was regarded as far too dangerous for their huge and very crowded FF area and the owner was politely asked to stop flying it, but feel free to show it off to everyone.

Now, you can about buy an EDF RC model at the mall!

The one I've fancied since it came out is a rare bird - a non-scale EDF, Multiplex's 'Twister'. Looks like a jet, performs like a jet, but has an overall shape that makes both hand-launches and bellyflop landings very manageable. Too many 'scale' jets have wings, tailplanes and/or intakes on the bottom, where they make a hand-launch dicey and offer an open invitation to the ground to rip things off.

Otherwise, the nearest I've gotten to a DF since reading about them nearly 50 years ago is owning a glow DF kit for a month or two until I decided I really didn't like it - the intake was the missing fuselage bottom, real scale stuff - and sold it to another wannabe.

Okay, those 'cartoon scale' EDF Mig 15 and Super Sabre attract my attention a lot, but they're a different kettle of fish, as my granny would have put it

D
Old 10-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
earthsciteach

I know the issues people have had with Banana Hobby. But, talking to folks who have bought from them lately (in my small world, mind you), they are very happy with the quality of customer service. I have never purchased from BH, but have from nitroplanes.com, an equally maligned website. Given the difficulties I have had with my 800 mm Spitfire, they have sent me more batteries and offered more motors than I have asked for.

I can only tell you what my personal experience is with the F/A-18 from BH. For the size, it is suprisingly easy to fly. I think the ARF version runs around $80. It looks fantastic in the air, but due to its size, it is easy to lose the orientation of the plane. At his moment in time, it is the most fun airplane I have flown. But, that's prob because its very different from anything I have flown. I suspect the similar sized EDFs are equally as fun. I'd just rather build it myslef than buy it.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
flightmode

I hope this gets you drooling. Then you can fly it in the gym. It uses thrust vectoring.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
earthsciteach

Nice vid! I've downloaded some F-22 plans for a student. One of the fellow science teachers in my school was a mechanic in the Air Force. He worked on the F106 and the B-1. I want to build a thust vectoring F-106 and surprise him with it. I'm thinking 70 mm edf. Then, maybe a swing wing B-1. I love a challenge!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Amazing. When I was in High School, the pinnacle of our school library was a couple of early 1960's 'Aeromodeller Annuals' - at least for me, possibly the only kid who read them. Which I did well nigh continuously!

One had a long feature on P.E. Norman - the guy who 'invented' DF in England, from small FF to state of the art for his day radio. As in, button push rudder only!

P.E. had a unique solution to the random landing habits of free flight - build his models so strong, they didn't break. This meant they flew a lot faster than anyone else's FF models, for sure.

According to long time aeromodelling folk I met at 'Aeromodeller' many years later, they sold plenty of P.E.'s plans, but were vague as to whether any ever got built off them. One did show up at an Old Warden meeting around 1990 - but its flying speed was such that it was regarded as far too dangerous for their huge and very crowded FF area and the owner was politely asked to stop flying it, but feel free to show it off to everyone.

Now, you can about buy an EDF RC model at the mall!

The one I've fancied since it came out is a rare bird - a non-scale EDF, Multiplex's 'Twister'. Looks like a jet, performs like a jet, but has an overall shape that makes both hand-launches and bellyflop landings very manageable. Too many 'scale' jets have wings, tailplanes and/or intakes on the bottom, where they make a hand-launch dicey and offer an open invitation to the ground to rip things off.

Otherwise, the nearest I've gotten to a DF since reading about them nearly 50 years ago is owning a glow DF kit for a month or two until I decided I really didn't like it - the intake was the missing fuselage bottom, real scale stuff - and sold it to another wannabe.

Okay, those 'cartoon scale' EDF Mig 15 and Super Sabre attract my attention a lot, but they're a different kettle of fish, as my granny would have put it

D
Marcus Norman pefected dads designs and yes - I knew many who did actually build and fly Norman DF designs. Marcus and friends spent a lot of time on intakes and eflux designs to improve the air flow and thrust ... in those early days thrust was marginal and the Mig 15 that was one of his first plans was a dog to fly until the intakes were shaped.

I also knew the Jet hangar Hobbies guy from USA who used to bring his beautiful scale models over for Fly-Ins in UK ... being larger and with GRP fuselages / tubes etc. seemed to have better thrust to weight ratios.

My best memory is seeing him and M.N flying their DF's and having as back-drop TSR2 in the distance !!

Me ? I intend to go EDF very soon ... just a problem to decide which model to get ... there are so many now.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

I haven't been paying attention to the regular prices much, but NitroPlanes has a "48 Hour Deal" going on for their F18s.

http://yhst-17210252890263.ecommerce...ge=1&query=f18

Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
earthsciteach

Thanks for the info, Fred. I went to purchase one of the F-18 kits, but they are charging $30.82 for shipping, almost doubling the advertised price. Nitroplanes is definitely ripping us off with this one! Shame on Nitroplanes.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

hmm.

Make sure you read carefully, the fifty dollar kits, are just the foam.

Sometimes they have deals where there's no shipping, those are worth watching for.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions