Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
raitheslacker

Friends: (0)
Exclamation PLS HELP! Spektrum TM1000 Voltage Balance plug

In order to get a flight pack voltage reading from the Spektrum TM1000, you have to tap the pos/neg plug on the lipo. I am looking to tap the balance plug since the battery voltage taps are heavier and im looking to shave some weight. A permanent solution via soldering directly to the esc is not an option since I move the TM1000 from plane to plane.

My question is this. How do I make a male balance plug adapter to tap the lipo balance port for a 3S lipo? I need to read the overall voltage of the flight pack and not each individual cell. On the male plug can I solder all three black wires on a together and leave the red wire separate? Or will this short the lipo? The voltage wire for the TM1000 only has a one pos/neg wire. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

View philipa_240sx's Gallery83
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by raitheslacker View Post
On the male plug can I solder all three black wires on a together and leave the red wire separate? Or will this short the lipo?
That is guaranteed to short the lipo and possibly start a big fire as well!

Assuming that it's a standard JST-XH balance plug (the type found on most Hobbyking, E-Flite and Parkzone Lipo's), the outer 2 wires on the balance connector will give the total pack voltage. Leave the remaining leads on the male plug disconnected and insulate them so they do not short together.

A handy little wiring 'calculator' to demonstrate typical battery pack wiring with balance connectors.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
raitheslacker

Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
That is guaranteed to short the lipo and possibly start a big fire as well!

Assuming that it's a standard JST-XH balance plug (the type found on most Hobbyking, E-Flite and Parkzone Lipo's), the outer 2 wires on the balance connector will give the total pack voltage. Leave the remaining leads on the male plug disconnected and insulate them so they do not short together.

A handy little wiring 'calculator' to demonstrate typical battery pack wiring with balance connectors.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html
ZOMG Thank you very much for that link! Fires bad! More batteries good!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

My question is this. How do I make a male balance plug adapter to tap the lipo balance port for a 3S lipo?
This is what you need: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMA9556

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
raitheslacker

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
That is what I currently have. It is too bulky for my smaller planes and adds too much weight. Thanks though.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Mr. X.

Friends: (1)

In order to get a flight pack voltage reading from the Spektrum TM1000, you have to tap the pos/neg plug on the lipo. I am looking to tap the balance plug since the battery voltage taps are heavier and im looking to shave some weight. A permanent solution via soldering directly to the esc is not an option since I move the TM1000 from plane to plane.

My question is this. How do I make a male balance plug adapter to tap the lipo balance port for a 3S lipo? I need to read the overall voltage of the flight pack and not each individual cell. On the male plug can I solder all three black wires on a together and leave the red wire separate? Or will this short the lipo? The voltage wire for the TM1000 only has a one pos/neg wire. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cant you lust solder on the connector to your battery esc wires? that would weigh the least and thats how my hitec aurora 9 gets the telemetry voltage

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions