Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
raitheslacker
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (0)
Exclamation PLS HELP! Spektrum TM1000 Voltage Balance plug

In order to get a flight pack voltage reading from the Spektrum TM1000, you have to tap the pos/neg plug on the lipo. I am looking to tap the balance plug since the battery voltage taps are heavier and im looking to shave some weight. A permanent solution via soldering directly to the esc is not an option since I move the TM1000 from plane to plane.

My question is this. How do I make a male balance plug adapter to tap the lipo balance port for a 3S lipo? I need to read the overall voltage of the flight pack and not each individual cell. On the male plug can I solder all three black wires on a together and leave the red wire separate? Or will this short the lipo? The voltage wire for the TM1000 only has a one pos/neg wire. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
raitheslacker is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,046
View philipa_240sx's Gallery83
Thanked 95 Times in 91 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by raitheslacker View Post
On the male plug can I solder all three black wires on a together and leave the red wire separate? Or will this short the lipo?
That is guaranteed to short the lipo and possibly start a big fire as well!

Assuming that it's a standard JST-XH balance plug (the type found on most Hobbyking, E-Flite and Parkzone Lipo's), the outer 2 wires on the balance connector will give the total pack voltage. Leave the remaining leads on the male plug disconnected and insulate them so they do not short together.

A handy little wiring 'calculator' to demonstrate typical battery pack wiring with balance connectors.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html
philipa_240sx is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
raitheslacker
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
That is guaranteed to short the lipo and possibly start a big fire as well!

Assuming that it's a standard JST-XH balance plug (the type found on most Hobbyking, E-Flite and Parkzone Lipo's), the outer 2 wires on the balance connector will give the total pack voltage. Leave the remaining leads on the male plug disconnected and insulate them so they do not short together.

A handy little wiring 'calculator' to demonstrate typical battery pack wiring with balance connectors.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html
ZOMG Thank you very much for that link! Fires bad! More batteries good!
raitheslacker is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
simibill
General Factotum
 
simibill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Simi Valley,CA
Posts: 1,144
View simibill's Gallery34
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (19)
Friends: (10)
Default

Originally Posted by raitheslacker View Post
My question is this. How do I make a male balance plug adapter to tap the lipo balance port for a 3S lipo?
This is what you need: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMA9556

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
simibill is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
raitheslacker
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
That is what I currently have. It is too bulky for my smaller planes and adds too much weight. Thanks though.
raitheslacker is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Mr. X.
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oxford, MA
Posts: 26
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by raitheslacker View Post
In order to get a flight pack voltage reading from the Spektrum TM1000, you have to tap the pos/neg plug on the lipo. I am looking to tap the balance plug since the battery voltage taps are heavier and im looking to shave some weight. A permanent solution via soldering directly to the esc is not an option since I move the TM1000 from plane to plane.

My question is this. How do I make a male balance plug adapter to tap the lipo balance port for a 3S lipo? I need to read the overall voltage of the flight pack and not each individual cell. On the male plug can I solder all three black wires on a together and leave the red wire separate? Or will this short the lipo? The voltage wire for the TM1000 only has a one pos/neg wire. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cant you lust solder on the connector to your battery esc wires? that would weigh the least and thats how my hitec aurora 9 gets the telemetry voltage
Mr. X. is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale FS Brand New Spektrum TM1000 Telemetry Module THESANDMAN Radio Equipment For Sale & WTB 0 08-28-2011 03:11 PM
For Sale Authentic Spektrum AR6100 end plug RX rcers Radio Equipment For Sale & WTB 0 08-27-2011 05:53 PM
For Sale FS Brand New Spektrum TM1000 Telemetry Module d12bn Radio Equipment For Sale & WTB 1 07-25-2011 02:03 AM
Charging LiPos inside the airplane Henry111 Batteries & Chargers 118 03-18-2011 06:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.15354 seconds with 29 queries