Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
DasFriek

Friends: (0)
Default Looking for a radio, Ground and air.

Hi everyone! I love the suggested possible related posts that pop up so im not making a dupe thread, Classy.

I have a Losi Night Crawler (Rock Crawler) for those who don't recognize the name. And i just bought a Blade mSR Heli which is addictive as heck. With both being Horizon products and the Heli came with a Spectrum 2.4ghz DSM2 and the LNC uses a Spectrum 2.4ghz DSM im wondering if a low cost computer radio will handle both that i wont have to replace the receivers?

In saying that, What would you suggest thats a great radio that will run both on a low budget?

The crawler seems fine with the radio it has, But the Heli's radio could use alot more finer tuning and a more solid quality feel.

Im rather sure the mSR Radio is 4 channel and the LNC is 2 channel, But i would like to add at least one more channel or even 2 in case i move to a higher end Heli thats not fixed pitch.

Can it be done under $100? Or a max of $150?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

When 1 is DSM and the other is DSM2 , that makes it hard to do.

I would replace the receiver in the Rock Crawler, with a DSM2 unit, you can mail order a Rx for very little money. Target hobby has AR6100 clones for $3.99, and AR500 clones for $9.99, I have flown both, and have not had a problem.

Then you can use any DSM2 transmitter you want. Spektrum or JR. Even 8-10 channels

You can't change the MSR heli Rx it is a one piece unit.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
DasFriek

Thanks for the info.
The receivers sound cheap enough its not big deal.

Ive been looking at the Spektrum DX6i 6 Channel Full Range DSMX Transmitter as it seems pretty well liked here, But will take getting used too on a ground vehicle.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
DasFriek

I finally bit the bullet and got the Spectrum DX6i with no receiver and im having issues getting it to bind with my Losi Night Crawler with a DSM receiver.
I thought i may have a 50/50 chance of it working with it, But no go so far. Anyone get one to bind with this combo?

Does anyone have links to compatible receivers with a low cost and decent shipping prices? I may try Ebay.

I haven't had much time to explore the DX6i yet as i had to rebuild my mSR with CF canopy bars which took all day to make work. But it seems rather feature packed but an easy interface for sure. I flew my mSR a few packs last night for testing after all the work and besides a bit of front too back pendulum action i was much more precise flying the heli.

Its definitely a chunk of plastic size wise and will need a neck strap when i move outside.
So far its a 10 in my books.
Please post any compatible 3-4 channel recievers priced low with low shipping if you can so i can bind my LNC.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

Sorry I don't think that transmitter will bind to the truck.

The tx is DSM2 and the Losi is just DSM, they are not going to bind together.

I have used this RX in a park pusher jet, never had a glitch, sometimes the plane was +-600' away.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html

Check Target hobby .com , I have bought AR500 clones from them.

All of the cheap DSM2 units come from china (Spektrum is made somewhere over there also) so the shipping times are a couple of weeks. Maybe you can find one on eBay where someone has bought them in bulk, and then is selling them on eBay to make a profit, their shipping may be quicker.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
DasFriek

Yeah. Im trying to avoid China as my models will be outdated by the time the receivers get here. Im used to ordering flashlight and Li-Ion cells from China and the 3 week wait is a killer and deal breaker on this one.
Ebay may be my best bet.

Any issues in using a Air receiver in a surface model? I dont think there should be, But its best to ask and be 100% sure.

I figured i had a 50/50 chance of the DSM receiver in the Losi binding, Plus everything at the LHS was $50+ and they were $40 more for the DX6i w/receiver so i bought the bare radio as i can wait a few days and save a few bucks.

(EDIT) Im gonna buy this off Ebay, PLEASE tell me if ill have issues using it in my surface run Losi 3 channel Night Crawler.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320749548737...84.m1438.l2649
Old 10-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #7
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

I can't see any problems using that rx, I use the same one in airplanes, if you need you can plug a satellite rx into it.

It's a Hobbyking rx they sell it for $5.99, you can get 2 and still stay in the lowest shipping cost 2.99 or 3.99 if you want registered

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sat_Port_.html

I would buy that one because he will get it to you quickly, then order some from HK,

RX's are so cheap now, I must have 20-25. Most from china, I have had NO problems with my planes that wasn't my fault.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
DasFriek

Im guessing a satellite rx is to add extra channels? Or does it increase signal strengths? Thats a new thing to me anyhow.

I set the Dx6i up fully to operate my Blade mSR and just slightly tried it out for function as i slept most of the day. But anyhow, It seems to be well worth the investment even if i dont stay into RC as a hobby long as resale value stays decent on Ebay.
I change hobbies alot, But if i get fed up with one ill sell everything related to it. That happened with my Losi LST money pit with mailbox guidance system stuck on auto seek mode.
But im digging the Heli's and the Losi NC is a fun relaxing machine that can get out of the way of the fast moving mailbox's.

I can see me wanting to upgrade the mSR to an adjustable pitched heli, But it has to stay small for now as i have been avoiding the sun for some reason. But i most likley wont get the full use of an adjustable pitched heli flying inside my house.

Seeing the heli's use +5-in-1 type boards i wont need to buy recievers much as i dont have plans for another truck anytime soon. So if i do need another receiver ill just hit Ebay again for the speed as i hate buying things (Just in case) unless its for crash repairs of a model i already own.
I can almost build another mSR with all my spare parts now.

BTW the DX6i comes with 1500mAH NiMH cells and i put them into my LaCrosse BC9000 and they came out as 2,200-2,300 mAH capacities. They have that distinctive Sony Eneloop band around the positive tab also. That tells me the DX6i doesn't have junk inside if they put that much thought into the batteries they include.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

View philipa_240sx's Gallery83
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by DasFriek View Post
I finally bit the bullet and got the Spectrum DX6i with no receiver and im having issues getting it to bind with my Losi Night Crawler with a DSM receiver.
I thought i may have a 50/50 chance of it working with it, But no go so far. Anyone get one to bind with this combo?
This one is easy:

The DX6i (or any DSM/DSM2 Air radio) WILL NOT bind with ANY surface (SRxxx series) receiver including the one in your Losi Crawler. Same goes for using a surface radio with an air (ARxxx) receiver, it won't work.

The reason is quite simple: Spektrum designed their air & surface radios so you cannot use a surface RX with an air RX and vice-versa. It's been this way from the beginning with nearly all RC mfg's, not just Spektrum. Even back in the FM days, surface and air used separate frequencies so the two would not interfere with each other.

There are a host of other reasons why it's not advisable to use an air TX/RX on a surface vehicle. Issues with throttle neutral position (stopped) and the fail safes come to mind.

Even if you could live with the unconventional controls, there is another issue: The Losi Night Crawler uses an integrated RX & ESC. You would have to replace it with separate air RX & brushed ESC. Honestly it isn't worth the trouble.

Having 2 separate TX's (air & surface) is just a fact of life. If you want better 'control' for your crawler, then upgrade your surface TX to a DX3C or similar.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Im guessing a satellite rx is to add extra channels? Or does it increase signal strengths? Thats a new thing to me anyhow.
No ..... a satelite Rx is to be able to retain signal at Rx and control of model whatever attitude / angle it is to Tx antena.

The antena's on 2.4Ghz are small and can be shadowed ... losing signal. So a satelite Rx is added to give dual connection. Yoo fix antenas at 90 degrees to each other and separated by reasonable distance. This then gives greater signal retention.

Some systems use a single Rx with dual antena ... ie FrSky and this seems to work well as well. I use the FrSky and very happy with it. There are some that only use a single antena / Rx block and it works. Many parkflyer Rx's are like that.

So for long range and peace of mind - you use a dual antena system RX .. satelite or not. For parkflying close range stuff - you can use a single dipole system.

OK ? It has nothing to do wqith increasing number of channels or servos.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by DasFriek View Post
BCTV (Before Cable TeleVision ) those of us that lived near a television transmitter used rabbit ears on our TV's. Those rabbit ears are directional to some extent, and you had to rotate them to get the best signal.

Same with our 2.4 Ghz receivers, only the rabbit ears are an inch long, versus several feet for TV rabbit ears.

So, a second, (or even third or fourth receivers on the high end) receiver is used for optimum signal reception, and "Shadowing" where the receiver might be hiding behind an engine, battery pack or whatever.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros