Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
tmarcincavage

Friends: (0)
Default Dynam Focus 400 Build

Previously went thru several hi-wing trainers, then spent a frustrating year with an early Guanli Corsair. Back at it now after about three years away from the hobby. I ordered a Dynam Focus 400 last Monday - received on Friday - so far no complaints with the product quality (better than I expected for a $90 4ch RTF) or the performance of NitroPlanes. Did my research and liked the light wing-loading and other features as a "stage-two" trainer. There were a number of posts on several sites that noted design "deficiencies", so I addressed all of those in the initial build and thought I'd pass this pseudo build-log along - might apply to a number of the Dynam designs. Converted to taildragger, even though my version had the newer molded firewall - trike gear still seemed really "plinky" - LHS had small Cub mains and a tail-wheel. Rather than CF-spars, just reinforced wing with GF strapping-tape on upper and lower wing-root. Added ball connectors at the aileron control-horns to take the torque off of them. Replaced light wire control-rods with 0.070" CF and threaded connectors for adjustment. Moved the battery location to a hole accessible under the canopy - attached both canopy and cowl with velcro for access. Let me know what you think of the mods or if you have any experience with this plane. Been too windy to try its maiden - I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aileron Ball Clevis.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	153553

Name:	Focus 400.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	153554

Name:	Focus Battery Location.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	153555

Name:	Focus Front Gear.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	153556

Name:	Focus Rear Gear.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	153557
Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
tmarcincavage

Friends: (0)

Mods seemed to work well. She behaves well as a tail-dragger, but rigging the steerable tailwheel was a challenge. Battery relocation with battery vertical balanced well. The use of ball-clevis on the ailerons is mandatory - factory set-up torques the hell out of the connections. Total weight with all changes and a 20c battery is 20.1 ounce, a bit heavy, but she's still a floater and flies well at low speeds.

I had a "pro" do the maiden and found the elevator throw to be excessive, as well as the down-thrust in the motor-mount. Shimmed the lower mount screw and set the elevator rod to minimum throw and he took her up again. Flew extremely well for him. I took it up myself a few days later and had a blast just tooling around at half-throttle, although I may reduce the aileron throw as well till I get used to her. Leave the rudder at full throw - makes ground handling easier. Not really a beginners plane (as advertised), but with reduced control throws it was well within my meager capabilities.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)