Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)
Default RC Build club day 3- fish or cut bait?

Or fly or cut foam...?

Tomorrow is day 3 of the RC build club at school. The weather has been wet and dreary for way too long. The plan is to take the kids out and let them get their hands on a tx and fly an rc plane if the sun shines. But, I'd really like to get them working on plans and heading toward building their own airplane.

Soooo, what to do.... Letting them fly will definitely boost interest and get them excited. But, we only meet once per week and I am already starting to feel the pressure of time.

Man, I wish I could run this as a daily class! Too bad that we have to focus so much on standardized tests. The concepts required to design and build an rc airplane teach so many of those concepts at once. Too bad we don't have unlimited budgets and unlimited time!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 10-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

can you split the class?
Have half the class fly for the first half of each meeting, other half works on plan/build. Then switch em. Flyers go to plan/build, builders go fly.

All meet back in the class room for a wrap up at the end of the day.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

That would work well, but we have to meet after school, because there is no time in the day for this sort of thing. We offer this on our own time. There is no money in the budget for, well, anything in this economy.

We had a good time today. Started out with a brief "ground school," then took the kids outside. We divided into two groups and let each kid get a couple of flights in. We took our planes up to a "safe" altitude and let the kids get a feel for them by gliding around.

Par for the course, the winds were way too strong for beginners, gusting at 10-15+ mph. Too strong to really be successful at learning to fly, but at least they got their hands on an airplane. They had as much fun trying to catch the Wild Hawk and Sky Surfer as we brought them down!

Next week we will start putting plans to foam!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions