Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #326
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Hmmm. Sounds strange. What happens when you run up the throttle?

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #327
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
hey guys, i need some help . i just got the Skyangel 50mm T-45. i tried to maiden it today using a 1000mah 3s 40c batt. it simply would not get enough power to take off ! even with a long take off. i took off the landing gear and tried to hand launch....just didn't want to fly ?

you guys gotta any tips of suggestions ?
You might not even be getting full throttle. Did you set the throttle range of the ESC? Start with the flight battery disconnected, turn on the transmitter and push the throttle to max. Hook up the flight battery and when the ESC beeps, reduce the throttle stick to zero. The ESC will now arm and the throttle range has been recognized.

The other factor is maybe your lipo is dropping voltage. Do you have a wattmeter?

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #328
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Like I said, nigel..... a brick wall. :P

Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #329
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
You might not even be getting full throttle. Did you set the throttle range of the ESC? Start with the flight battery disconnected, turn on the transmitter and push the throttle to max. Hook up the flight battery and when the ESC beeps, reduce the throttle stick to zero. The ESC will now arm and the throttle range has been recognized. .............
Beat me to it !! I was just getting ready to type out similar ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #330
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

HEY JOE...WHERE YOU GOING WITH THAT GUN IN YOUR HAND[jimmy Hendrik's]

Joe,when posting on a persons thread,it's only appropriate to push the buttons on the computer to communicate the subject of the original posters topic. your just pushing personal buttons and should by now notice we're all ignoring you till thing in your head gt right.

please offer constructive feed back on topic of 50mm edf or find another forum to waste your valuable time.

Nigel my friend,I'm off to the field with the roar,hog,and of coarse the stinger. will report back later this afternoon. after a long work week i really look forward to hanging with the gang shooting the breeze both in the air and in the chair...lol.... your a great contributer to the wattflyer forums my friend. keep the peace.... stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #331
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
please offer constructive feed back on topic of 50mm edf or find another forum to waste your valuable time.
Oh, thanks for your valuable insight. I think nigel can handle himself, no need to jump into the fray to protect him.

Nice Jimi Hendrix quote though.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #332
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Guys,
Lets not be contemptuous here. We're all trying to find the best solutions to the technical challenges of the hobby, in an effort to optimize our setups. We're all in this together in the end, right ? So, let's respect each other's opinions. We can challenge, prove or disprove
each others findings in a nice way. Does not have to get snarly.

I've learned and gained a lot from the discussions. So, gather around the campfire and sing Kumbyah !

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #333
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

lol....,i was no more defending anyone than i was spelling jimmy's last name right. only expressing views shared by many and often ignored by a few.

i too am learning much thru the discussion here and would like to continue to do so . no one here at wattflyer needs defending from you Joe.all is as good here as was my day at the field,windy but great flying.flew and maidened the uproar for 3 flights and the hog once.but winds just kept getting stronger. the stinger will have to wait even though a bud at the field says it would do great in the wind. i just want to trim it in flight on a calmer day.

so as some younger folks might say...peace out.stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #334
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
lol....,i was no more defending anyone than i was spelling jimmy's last name right. only expressing views shared by many and often ignored by a few.
It's Jimi Henrix.

SMH.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #335
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

your right the first time Joe,Hendrix is the correct spelling, glad i have spell checker or all you guys would truly see how hard i studied in school in the 60's while listening to jimmy. too funny.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #336
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

No harm. Musicians know, the average person probably doesn't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix

Old 10-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #337
pistnbroke

Club: I do not belong to a club, I just fly at a park with other enthusiasts
Friends: (4)
Default 50mm T-45

Hi All,

I have recently received a 50mm T-45 and I am wondering if anyone has used a wing bolt type assembly so that the wing can be removed or if you are all glueing the wing on, what is the preference in glue? I am guessing epoxy

Sorry about my silly questions, but I have been out of the scene for 27 years and foam aircraft (non exsistant)and electric powered craft were underpowered and overweight back then.

Regards
Ian
Old 10-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #338
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Ian,

You'll love the T-45. It's one of my favorites and might e the easiest flier in the series. No reason not to glue the wing to the fuse. I used 5 min epoxy on my T-45 Red Arrows but have also used Beacons Foam Tac on others. These Jpowers Skyangels as well as the Mini-Warbirds can withstand a lot of abuse. Tough little guys. Hoping to maiden the new 50mm Katana today sometime.

Welcome back to the addiction. I did the same thing and have been back at it for about 2 years now. Was like waking up in the twilight zone with electrics.

A plethera of great advice on this forum.

-Hawk

Old 10-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #339
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pistnbroke View Post
Hi All,

I have recently received a 50mm T-45 and I am wondering if anyone has used a wing bolt type assembly so that the wing can be removed or if you are all glueing the wing on, what is the preference in glue? I am guessing epoxy

Sorry about my silly questions, but I have been out of the scene for 27 years and foam aircraft (non exsistant)and electric powered craft were underpowered and overweight back then.

Regards
Ian
I glue mine on. The wing is actually a part of the inlet ducting, glue keeps everything lined up perfectly for less turbulence. It also makes the assembly more rigid. I use 5 minute epoxy to hold it in place. There have been instances that I use a CA gel, but that holds best when a kicker is used. The heat from the chemical reaction melts the foam just enough to form a strong bond. Without the kicker, I've seen failures in the glue joint.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #340
pistnbroke

Default thanks

Thanks Hawk and Joe,

I think I will go the epoxy and glue the wing in place, at the moment I have the wing pinned to the fuselage, I feel leaving it pinned would be ok while flying the right way up, it would be a different story during inverted flight as the wing does flex too much.

Epoxy it is!

Thanks again, Regards
Ian
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #341
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Some people have bolted the wing - but as Joe says it completes the inlet ducting and to be honest - the model is small enough rigged.

There isn't really anything you need to get to under that wing as ESC is accessible from EDF area or front with care.
5 min epoxy is what I use and it has an advantage in event of a hard landing / crash ... because the foam is smooth - it holds well but will give letting wing separate before smashing wing. Careful clean up - basically peeling old epoxy away and refixing with a new bead and she's flying again.

One modification that I suggest thinking about the ESC ... factory press fits the ESC into the slot in top of duct. This is fine until ESC warms up and foam slacks it's grip. Double side tape works for a while ... but also fails eventually.
There is a simple and effective remedy. A cocktail stick ..... push a cocktail stick through fuselage from outside, it exits inside ... under the ESC .... push through into other side of fuselage ... cut of tips flush. The stick if fitted right - presses the ESC into that slot and it will never budge. Do not glue - friction is enough and with a blunt stick - you can always push it out to remove / change ESC. Simple !

Another : The ESC to battery lead can foul the top or arm of the servo passing through cockpit area ... cocktail sticks come to rescue again. You take 2 sticks ... vertically push into the foam dividers near servo to create a fence to hold the ESC wire away from the servo....

I have loads of these little tricks !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #342
pistnbroke

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the tips with the ESC, I had wondered what to do to fix it in place, glue, silicon etc.

I have not had chance to work on it recently but what I have done so far is turn the servo arms 180 degrees and move the control horns to the top of the ailerons so that they dont get damaged on landing.

Right now, I am looking at building Steve Shumates Polaris, saw one fly last weekend 3/11/12 and was hooked. I am actually cursing Steve now......I just have to build one, in fact I want to build one of each of his aircraft..... they are just so good!

Regards
Ian
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #343
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the tips with the ESC, I had wondered what to do to fix it in place, glue, silicon etc.
Its the simplest and easiest way to lock it in place ......... plus you can remove ESC easily when needed.

I have not had chance to work on it recently but what I have done so far is turn the servo arms 180 degrees and move the control horns to the top of the ailerons so that they dont get damaged on landing.
It's one of the best mods to do ...

Another is to fit a sprung catch to hold canopy on ... once you start pushing this baby - it doesn't stay on with just a magnet ... I was lucky when it came of my first T45 ... I found it in one piece. Hobby King and ebay have sprung catches that do the job nicely. I use a short piece of empty ballpen ink tube for the metal pin to locate into so the foam of the rear canopy wall doesn't open out and get loose.

Right now, I am looking at building Steve Shumates Polaris, saw one fly last weekend 3/11/12 and was hooked. I am actually cursing Steve now......I just have to build one, in fact I want to build one of each of his aircraft..... they are just so good!

Regards
Ian
He does some wicked plans ....... I built his F15 ... very good. I have a few of his others as well. One thing I like is the tiled plans in different sizes ....

Nigel

Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #344
pistnbroke

Hi Nigel,

I am at the painting stage of a Shumate F-15 now but I lack talent when it comes to painting and colours.

Do you have a pic of your canopy latch for your T-45, the magnets on mine don't appear to be that great. I have thought of a quick fix but have not tried anything yet.

Regards
Ian
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #345
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Nigel,

I am at the painting stage of a Shumate F-15 now but I lack talent when it comes to painting and colours.

Do you have a pic of your canopy latch for your T-45, the magnets on mine don't appear to be that great. I have thought of a quick fix but have not tried anything yet.

Regards
Ian
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9218

About the only photo I can find of it fitted ... it glues to OUTSIDE of fuselage set into a slot. Take care to not glue the sliding pin etc.

Heres the ESC stick retainer :

Painting ....... all I say is make sure underside is clearly different to top ! The Red Arrows white Arrow underside on my first T45 I have is incredible ...

Nigel
Nigel

Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #346
pistnbroke

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the pics, they speak volumes.....it has inspired me to get on with it and finish this thing off and get it airbourne.

Regards
Ian
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #347
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the pics, they speak volumes.....it has inspired me to get on with it and finish this thing off and get it airbourne.

Regards
Ian
I love my 50mm T45 .......... its a model that will always be in my hangar ... and with my hot set-up - it's incredible ! $50 model, $30 upgrade .......... nothing comes close !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=rW2GXjwG3S0&gl=US

Nigel

Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #348
trroadster

Friends: (0)

Does anyone have any experience with the V2 F-86 ( others) thatBanana Hobby sells. V2 has a gyro. Love to hear from anyone who's tried this.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #349
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

tr,

You might find more active discusiion on the 50mm skyangels over on rcg:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...48808&page=175

-Hawk

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #350
trroadster

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
tr,

You might find more active discusiion on the 50mm skyangels over on rcg:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...48808&page=175

-Hawk
Thanks Hawk, Will do.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets