Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #26
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by N42375 View Post
Hi Guys, Just joining in on this conversation. I have the A-4 and Mig-15. Both are stock on 3 cells. The A-4 has about 80 flites on it and flys fantastic. It will fly circles around the Mig. The Mig can have some nasty stall/ spin surprises during a climbing left turn at less than full throttle. I have yet to find any bad flite issues with the A-4. The A-4 launches very easily, the Mig not so much. The A-4 can easily handle 15-20 mph winds.
Yup, you found the dreaded mIg flat spin. They are known for that. As far as the A-4, yes.... it's a great airframe but does have one nasty tendency. Do not attempt to slow it way down and flair it for landing. When it stalls, it will flip over on it's back in a split second. Using the ailerons as spoilerons helps this a little bit by blleding off some lift and pulling the nose up. You'll have to run the two aileron servos on seperate channels. Channel 6 on most radios allows for flapperons and spoilerons.
Without that mixing option, land with some speed and all is well. Slow it to the point of a stall and it WILL bite you.

Originally Posted by scoote621 View Post
My buddy has has the f-16 but he put in aftermarket parts, wemotec edf unit with a hi powered 3s set up, I have flown it and its super fast, pushing 90mph fast and that make a 50mm edf size plane get really small really fast...especially since he has the thunderbird paint scheme and I was fllying on an overcast day. Anyways I don't know much about the stock power system but flies like a champ on an upgraded balanced unit.
The F-16 is a nice, slick airframe. The plane will perform super with a stock motor on 4s. Balance and clearance the rotor, and the fan will live longer. In fact, I prefer the stock setup over the wemo due to the fact that it's lighter and performs just as well.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #27
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

I like my Mig because it is such a handful to fly. I've flown the F-86 and the F-18. They are both walks in the park compared to the Mig. It does the weirdest things. Never gets boring!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I find it funny reading back through old posts and comparing with actual flying the T45 etc.

I have some 1500mA 4S packs coming now for the T45 to liven her up. The 920mA 4S packs were wasted money I think along with the 800mA 3S 20C ones.

I really enjoy the T45 with the 1300 or 1800mA 3S packs in, I get reasonable flight time, reasonable turn of speed ... without being crazy.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #29
Kaldek

Friends: (0)

Does anyone know where to buy a landing gear set for these? I bought the Hobbyking version, which doesn't have any. HK aren't know for their model-matched spares, so I figure I'll need to go elsewhere.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

The Red Arrows T-45 shipped from Banana Hobby in 3 days. What a surprize ! Was nervous about dealing with BH after reading some horror stories. Total cost with shipping $91.00. Been travelling so I haven't seen it yet. I think I'll take Nigel's advice and move the control rods to the top to protect. Fly on a grass field so it's belly landings, plus I like the scale look of the parkjets w/out gear.

Hope to get it together for the weekend.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #31
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Kaldek View Post
Does anyone know where to buy a landing gear set for these? I bought the Hobbyking version, which doesn't have any. HK aren't know for their model-matched spares, so I figure I'll need to go elsewhere.
Nope ........... Stinger wheels with steering nose wheel ... incl servo : $6

From Hobby King .......

OK they are niot exactly scale - but they are light and do the job well.

Nose wheel weight :

Total :

Fitting :

OK ... forget using a 800 20C lipo ............ I fly with 30gr on tail .... and lipo's from 1300 - 1800 3S 25C ....

I lose about 20kph with wheels ......... about 10kph when wheels unclipped. YES - they unclip !

You will have to modify hatch foam tab at front by removing about 1mm to clear top of nose wheel gear.

$6 !!

see youtube : solentlifeuk ........ for T45 on wheels / without ...

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #32
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I think I will stay sans LG for now. Nigel, speaking of speed, over on RC groups, a guy just clocked his $39.00 Radjet at 156 mph. A few mods.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #33
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
I think I will stay sans LG for now. Nigel, speaking of speed, over on RC groups, a guy just clocked his $39.00 Radjet at 156 mph. A few mods.
I will be taking my gear of - lighten the T45 down again ... it's nice having the wheels but the EDF is not a beast like the Parkjet ...

Radjet ......... the Parkjet's enough for me at moment !

Old 04-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #34
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

How is the parkjet flying, Nigel?

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
How is the parkjet flying, Nigel?
No idea ... awful weather ...... working ............ today is first day back in air hopefully ............

Reverted T45 back to no wheels ........ and will stick a 4S 1500 25C in her today ...........

Noticed that wing has some stress indicators in it ........ will need grooving and epoxy in her after today I reckon ...

I'm no longer pushing her to further speed - I really enjoy her as is ... I will fit the 51 DF and higher rate kv motor - but that's it. At 120kph now - she's comfortable, fast without giving heart-attack !

Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #36
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

Got the Red Arrows put together and I thought ready to go but have a glitch. In bench testing, I turn on the TX and then connect the battery. The servos come to life as expected with the normal start up beeps( Doe, rey me la). but the throttle input does nothing. The esc then keeps beeping very fast continously until I unplug the battery. I tried reversing throttle to see if that did anything. No luck. Could the fan be bound up somehow ? Motor seems to turn freely. End points on esc ? Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #37
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Is the ESC in program mode? Maybe throttle endpoints? Just a brainstorm. I saw the same thing happen today on a guys Funcub. Everything would work except the ESC would go into program mode randomly. Replaced the ESC and everything was fine. Just a thought Im sure Nigel will have better advice

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #38
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thank Fish,

Not sure. Can't get the motor to spin.To replace the esc, it looks like I have to remove the edf. Not exactly sure how that is fastened in the fuse but I think the housing may be glued. Not sure yet. Wasn't going to pry the edf it out of there yet since it maybe something simple that I'm missing. Never had to program an esc before.

The wiring on this plane is of smaller gauge than I'm familiar with. Not sure how the 3 wires from the esc connect between the esc and motor. Hard to see inside even with the motor cover off. The wires come from underneath the fan housing and to the underside of the motor. Don't see any connectors.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #39
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Looking at the pictures Nigel has provided and the pictures at banana hobby it would appear that the EDF wiring runs through the top of the fuse. It also appears there maybe a screw in the top of the fuse. Possibly an access area? Is the wing removable from the Fuse? If so you should be able to remove the EDF fan possibly reveling the wire connection to the ESC

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #40
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Fish,

Yes, you're correct. I have the plane on it's back and the motor compartment removed. Two screws remove the cover. Didn't know if I could simply wrestle it out without breaking something.

When I turn on the TX, I then connect the battery. I get three quick ascending beeps followed by a pause, then two beeps,pause, then a doe rey me fa so, then pause, 1 beep, pause, 2 beeps, pause, 3 beeps, pause, 4 beeps. Then back to the doe , rey me fa so. Somehow I think I'm in programming mode. Nevertheless, the motor will not spin.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #41
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Fish,

I wanted to get this fixed before Nigel woke up.

So when I hooked up the battery, it would get a continous rapid succession of beeps. sounded like a smoke alarm going off. Yikes !

After switching the esc plugs to the motor around in different configurations I finally just reversed the throttle on the TX and presto, it works. Noisy little bugger. Blades might be rubbing duct.

Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot !

Hawk
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #42
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Shaweet glad you got her working

Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #43
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yer lucky - I was travelling and working !!

My EDF unit ... I removed it from the fuselage and got rid of the glue blobs that supposedly held it in place. They deform the shroud and on my T45 - I have NO glue or anything holding EDF into the fuselage except the cover. You noted that the EDF unit has a ridge that fits a slot in both main fuselage and cover ... when cover is in place - that EDF unit is secure.... AND round. You will probably find that blades are not rubbing at all then.

If you do want to glue it in ... then use a non-solvent such as silicon .. and only enough to hold it ...unlike the chinese blobs. I did use thin double side tape at first then found it wasn't needed.

One area that needs tape - the ESC is a press fit into the fuselage roof groove but soon falls down ... double-side tape cures that.

I'll go back to sleep now !!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #44
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Thank Fish,

Not sure. Can't get the motor to spin.To replace the esc, it looks like I have to remove the edf. Not exactly sure how that is fastened in the fuse but I think the housing may be glued. Not sure yet. Wasn't going to pry the edf it out of there yet since it maybe something simple that I'm missing. Never had to program an esc before.

The wiring on this plane is of smaller gauge than I'm familiar with. Not sure how the 3 wires from the esc connect between the esc and motor. Hard to see inside even with the motor cover off. The wires come from underneath the fan housing and to the underside of the motor. Don't see any connectors.
Motor to ESC via 1mm bullets .............. I know you think there's no connectors - but there are ... I've changed mine to 3mm bullets because had to change the ESC after many flights ... I think my 4S use may have stressed the ESC finally. I now run a 30A Red Brick ESC

Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #45
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Nigel,

Whew ! Got it spinning. Everything about Futaba is @$$-backwards. After some trial and tribulation, realized I needed to reverse channel 3.

I did take out the ducted fan and yes, noticed the chinese glue blob. Left the 1mm bullets in place on the esc to motor but changed the connector to EC3 on the battery side. Don't know why I was ever talked into EC3's early on as they are a real pain. To change everything over to deans now would be a major task.

I also noticed the press fit or should I say loose fit of the esc. Thanks for the tip there. The only other concern is routing all of the wires around the elevator servo. Was concerned about binding. Not a major thing. Canopy earth magnets are little weak. Will use a small piece packing tape to secure on flights.

How much expo do you recommend? I have to keep in mind that for Futaba, it's a neg number. Set it up with dual rates. Don't want to start-off too twitchy. For the battery, I'll start out with the 850mah 3S that came with it but have a bunch of 1300 20C's and a 1300mah Nanotech 4S in the waiting.

Took the missles and hot glued them to my F-22 foamie pusher. 4 landings and so far they have not broken off.

Hope to maiden this weekend, depending on the weather. Right now, it does not look good. Winds expected to be 20kts gusting to 30.

If I like this one, there's a couple more in the series that also look pretty good. So far, I'm impressed with the value. For USD $91-shipped ? 3 day delivery?

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #46
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I've flown with the ESC to battery wires just laying next to servo arm ... never had a problem. But eventually good sense took over and I just took a cocktail stick, broke in 2 and pushed each into the foam clear of the arm to provide a "fence" to keep the wires clear. Simple and it works.

Expo ? I set surfaces at recc'd and D/R at 65% ........ Expo - Aileron 45%, Elevator 30% on both D/R ...

The Missiles ........... never bothered with them as it was obvious they were a wheels option only. So I cocktail stick'd them to wingtips of my parkjet but remove them for flight.

Noticed today that my T45 wing is stressed on one side ....... so 2 cocktail sticks ... 1 pushed in via LE across the stress, other pressed in via TE similarly across the stress .. no need for glue ... the foam actually grips the sticks fine and it was a stress sign, not actually cracked. Once in - push below surface, squeeze foam and they dissappear into the foam.

I have to admit I have an eye on a couple as well !!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #47
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Nigel,

Looks like I'm about ready to go. Made little fence as you suggested for wire clearance. Also used soldering gun to accomodate a slightly longer(~25mm) battery. Will start off with the stock 850mah and go from there. Have a few 1300mah 3S's and a 1300mah 4s Nanotech in the waiting.

Did you leave the throws alone or set the clevices down a few holes?

Waiting on the weather which looks kind of ominous for the next few days.

Off-topic TX question: Looking into the future, was wondering if there was such a thing as a Futaba Fasst compatible Radio. The upgraded Futaba Radio's as good as they are, seem to be for the rich and famous. I have the 6EX and it works fine and I use knock-off rx's from Frysky, Orange(same thing, I think), and Corona without problems. If I make a change to the radio in the future, I still want to be able to use the Fasst Rx's. Can't imagine that there would be a knock off TX but who knows? There''s no honesty amongst thieves.

Saluations ,

Hawk
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #48
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Just uploading to Youtube a couple of vids made today ........ my T45 with 3S 1800mAh 25C ........ and then 4S 1500 25C.

On the third flight - the motor leads were rubbing on the motor and shorted the ESC ... so deadsticked her in ... ESC totally shot ...

I slid heat shrink tube over each motor wire and shrunk it down ... new 35A ESC ......... good to go again. I am thinking about shortening the motor wires to get them away from motor bell ....

I am also extracting the audio files from above to doppler as I think the 4S speed was pretty good ...

Nigel

Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #49
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Boy is my internet connection slow today !!

T45 50mm with 3S 1800 25C E-Fly LiPo ..... stock motor / fan, 30A ESC ... RC Speedo gives speeds 90.3 up to 102.8 kph .... which agrees with previous findings ..

With 4S 1500 25C Zippy Compact LiPo ..... same stock motor / fan and 30A ESC , RC Speedo gives speeds 104.7 up to 131.4 kph ... again agreeing with previous.

The vid's are still uploading ........... yes - my Internet connection is SLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWW !

Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #50
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

May not be fastest T45 / EDF but still provides some thrills ....

On 3S :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyBbIYQ6j14

On 4S :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaTDmNcSL3E

Vroom Vroom !!

Remember this basically stock motor / fan unit ... with just uprated battery and ESC to handle the power ........

The 3S gives me about 6.5 mins, the 4S is estimated at 3.5 - 4 mins ...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets