Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #76
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Videos .......... T45 with 4S .... of the catapult ...

It may be a bit of a pain setting up the catapult 0- but it's worth the effort for the great launch you get ....

http://youtu.be/WMHHi3oyt9A

I'll post the 3S video once it finishes upload ...

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #77
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

T45 on 3S ..... it's actually the first catapult launch with the gear ...........

Brilliant.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #78
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

What DF units have people fittted to the 50mm series, I have the 51mm 7 blade unit ready to fit but having trouble getting fan adaptor ....

The unit will need fuselage opening up a small amount to fit + it has mount lugs along side .... these will have to be let into the foam.

I have upped my lipo to max stock system will take and hitting regularly 120kph ........ seems that the 110- 120kph is a barrier with stock unit. I'm not looking for crazy speed, my Parkjet does that ! but to maximise the excellent flying this T45 50mm gives ....

??

Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #79
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

This T45 is fast becoming my favourite machine ..... with a decent 3S or 4S in her - she is dead straight of the bungee and looks the part in the air ....

Best $50 I ever spent ...............

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #80
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

After seeing this video I think I may go for the F8 Crusader in the Skyangel series:
Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #81
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well my T45 hawk seems to be suffering a spate of blues .... this is the second time I've had a nose into the field ..... today ? No idea why.

Had a couple of blips on the motor ... downwind leg the motor just stuttered 2x and opened up again ... I decided to drop downwind and then turn into wind to land ... halfway round turn she died and vertical into the ground.
Tested the LiPo when I got home ... 46% still there ....... so I wonder if ESC is playing up.

Nose section back to intakes completely smashed ... no point in trying to piece those pieces back together ... so now in process of creating a complete new nose section in pink foam. The main body from intakes back is fine ... and anyone with one of these knows ... there's a joint at the intakes where the fuselage is moulded in sections. I've cut away the nose part from that scarf joint and marrying new in ...

Went on HK to see about a new barebones kit .... Backorder ! So I'll be saving money for a while. Thought about the Lanyu 64mm barebones kit ... but I really like the compact size of the 50mm series.

Nigel

Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #82
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Sorry to hear. I guess one way to test would be to swap out esc's with one you know is good. I fixed my detached aileron with welders glue and was hoping to give her a go today. Very gusty though. Sustained 10-15 doesn't bother me. Gusts bother me.

Been very frustrating the last week not being able to get out on the field.

I'm looking at some of the others in the Skyangel 50mm series. Seems like all they have to do is change a couple of the mold inserts and presto, new model.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #83
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Rebuilding the nose is not hard ... its making the cut-out for the canopy base as its not straight...... then having the tab at front.

ESC ... nothing spare at moment ... so bit of a problem. I think I will take old out and remove the heat shrink over the flat plate. Help it cool. It may be that where I run so long WOT - it may be overheating.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #84
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Anybody fly the F-35?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #85
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Mclarkson,
I have not . Looking at the complete JPowers 50mm series, wondering how much variation there is amongst flying characteristics. I'm sure there is some. Love the T-45. Got it from BH for $75 and it arrived in 3 days.
If you get the F-35 please post a vid

- Hawk

Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #86
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

2 brilliant flights today ... then a crash. But i know why now.

The pink foam I use for repairs is heavier than the original white foam. So I have a CoG that is moved fwd .. plus using larger batterys ... makes her nose heavy.

in the last launch she flew nose down ... I entered a turn and she stalled ... nosed in.

I can repair using the last foam repair ... glue up, wram up and straighten ........

The first 2 fligghts were with stubby battery packs that I could push back to help CoG ....

I need a new barebones kit ... may go for the F16 which I believe is faster ......

Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #87
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

ARGH! I really want a new plane. So tempting ...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #88
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Soon as I get email telling me stock is in .... I'll order my new barebones ...

Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #89
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Couldn't stand it any more. I bit the bullet and ordered one of the new ones, the JAS-39 Gripen.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #90
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I know the feeling well ..... I'm chomping at the bit forcing myself NOT to click "Add to cart" for another machine instead of waiting for my barebones T45 ...

Tried to source it elsewhere but either price is crazy or it's a full on ARF ...

Cmon HK ... get some stock in !!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #91
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Mark,

Looks like another JP winner ! Still learning on the Red Arrows T-45. Let us know how she flies. Wish I could collect the entire series. Fun little edf's !

Hawk

Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #92
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Couldn't stand it any more. I bit the bullet and ordered one of the new ones, the JAS-39 Gripen.

Mark,
This looks like a real beauty. I wish I could get one jealousy is all up and down the spine

Solent,
Patience it will come very soon and you already know you will not regret it

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #93
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Every time I decided what plane to get, I get on the web the next day and it was out of stock. But I found a couple of the Sky Angel EDFs in HobbyKing's USA warehouse. Since I'd seen a few reviews implying that build quality was getting better over time, I decided to go for one of the new ones.

I'll report back when it's in the air. This is my first EDF, so who knows how that'll go.

(I've already bookmarked Don's Wicked combo for when I feel the need for more speed.)

Old 05-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #94
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

If it's anything like the T-45 you will like it ! Easy on the toss . Watch Solentlife's vids( Nigel) on you tube. First time I tossed mine it nosed into the ground . Too high AOA
Once I solved that, all was good . Easy flyer but keep her reasonably close. They get small in a hurry.
Enjoy !

Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #95
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Mark,
This looks like a real beauty. I wish I could get one jealousy is all up and down the spine

Solent,
Patience it will come very soon and you already know you will not regret it
I know ..... luckily I'm away for a good while on assignment again ... but then I'll have waiting tiome on delivery ........

I went on Skyangels site .... but cannot see any pricing - so i wonder if they only sell to retailers ?

I do fancy the Mirage .... having had a 2000 Glow prop job years ago. But the T45 redone into Red Arrows colours is a real show stopper in the air. It's a beaut to fly, not so hard to hand launch .... gets on speed quite quick and glides well for landing.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #96
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I think they do only sell to re-sellers. I also can't find some of the newer planes - like my Gripen. (Which I'm 80% sure is one of theirs...)

Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #97
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I think they do only sell to re-sellers. I also can't find some of the newer planes - like my Gripen. (Which I'm 80% sure is one of theirs...)
Got a reply from them .... they only supply resellers .... but they gave me another seller to try .... very pleasant email ....

Nigel

Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #98
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Got a reply from them .... they only supply resellers .... but they gave me another seller to try .... very pleasant email ....

Nigel

Nigel,

Who's the other seller? Got my T-45 Red arrows for USD $75.00 + shipping from BH without any issues. Have not seen the Gripen advertised but it sure looks like it belongs in the Skyangels series.

-DA

Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #99
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nigel,

Who's the other seller? Got my T-45 Red arrows for USD $75.00 + shipping from BH without any issues. Have not seen the Gripen advertised but it sure looks like it belongs in the Skyangels series.

-DA
You have to remember I am not USA based ... and so I have to get EU / other dealers ...

They passed on : www.ready2fly.com based in Switzerland .....

You asked !!

Yes the Grippen is theirs .... along with Mirage etc.

http://www.skyangelrc.com/

Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #100
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Okay,

Got it, sorry. I did not see the Grippen or the Mirage on the Skyangel site.

I'll be looking for it though. Maybe they gave HK the exclusive ?

-Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets