Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #151
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Nigel,

Ever try using " flapperons" with the T-45? Was wondering how this might perform in slowing down on final or if it would be even worth a try.

-Hawk
Old 05-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #152
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nigel,

Ever try using " flapperons" with the T-45? Was wondering how this might perform in slowing down on final or if it would be even worth a try.

-Hawk
It did cross my mind ... but to be honest she glides in quite nice anyway ...

Also you do not have prop airflow to assist ... EDF's need speed up anyway.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #153
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Got it done. Should not have a stripped servo issue again.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #154
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Flew my JAS-39 again today, this time with 3/4oz of lead taped to the very tip of the tailpipe. It was almost flyable. Next time, it'll be a full ounce.

Here's the battery compartment. As you can see, there's plenty of room forward, but the foam ends completely less than an inch behind the battery. It slopes, so there's less back there than it appears from above.

I'm still carrying a ridonculous amount of up reflex.

I'll be curious to hear from anyone else who's bought this plane to see what their experience.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2012-05-30-03h15m07s238.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	160403 Lead on the tailpipe.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #155
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Mark,

Wow ! I was at the field today and got around to the T-45 testing out the the 180 Nigel special on the control rods and horns. It's the way to go. Had made a mech adjustment to the elevators to bring em down a bit as on the last flight, I completely ran out of down trim. Well, I still had to add down trim. Going to bring her down a little more mechanicallly, zero out the trim and try again tomorrow. Maybe she just wants to soar !

Looks like you have the opposite problem needing so much up reflex to even get yours to rotate.

On the battery, I took my soldering iron and burned out the cross member joiner section than span the floor. The sidewalls now line up such that I can squeeze a larger battery in there. Now the battery itself acts as the supporting cross member and I'm able to go 1300-1500mah 3 or 4S.

I'm throwing out hints for the Fathers day F-16.

Finally had a day where the wind was under 15.

Manana,

Hawk
Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #156
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Rotate, heck. I need all that plus an ounce of lead in the butt just to fly level!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #157
Brick
small Member

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
BH like many others - most of their gear is same as HK or other labels. So replacement parts can be had form HK etc. if you can identify.

In terms of these Skyangel / Jpower EDF's - they are all listed as MINI 50MM in Hobby King.

I know it's not much consolation but given that a Mini EDF is about $50 at HK ... $70 local etc. - what parts can they carry and profit ? Stock costs and unless selling - is dead money.
awesome...i also found much needed spare parts at HK for my 35mm F-86
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #158
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #159
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Mark,
On the battery, I took my soldering iron and burned out the cross member joiner section than span the floor. The sidewalls now line up such that I can squeeze a larger battery in there. Now the battery itself acts as the supporting cross member and I'm able to go 1300-1500mah 3 or 4S.
Hawk, I'm not sure if your plane is significantly different than mine or I'm not understanding you.

I have my battery all the way back, jammed under the ESC. Are you talking about making more room behind, or in front of, the normal battery area? I have plenty of room forward of the battery but, as I'm nose heavy, I can't use it.

The battery compartment on the Gripon slants in at the back and the bottom. I actually punched thru the wall into the intake area already in carving the sides out to fit my battery. The entire foam section of the battery/cockpit area ends maybe 1/2 inch behind my battery. If I chop thru, the battery will just slide out into open air.

I'm not afraid to cut some foam, but I don't have much foam to cut.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	killme.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	160466 Gripon battery compartment.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #160
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Mark,

I see what you mean. They may not be the same. The only area I cut was on the floor of the fuse that formed a connecting boundary between the rx and the battery. Really only needed about 6mm more in length to squeeze a 1300 3S or 4S versus the stock 850mah.

I really didn't have an issue with CG for this slight mod. Here are three pics showing, empty, the 850 and a 1300:

Best of luck !

Hawk
Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #161
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

The T45 ... really does lend itself to a larger LiPo ......... I fit as standard anywhere from a 1300 3S ... up to 1800 3S or 4S in 920 and 1500 Compact formats ...

The area was carved out by soldering iron ...

Bottom of area - I inserted a 1/8th balsa plate to strengthen but later removed ....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #162
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well .... my T45 is now hardly flying. Wing is rough where chips and bits knocked out of it ... nose section is just awful ............

Think tyhe overall aerodynamics is now poor and she struggles to get over it.

Still waiting replacement airframe ....

Nigel

Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #163
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

Glad to see you made it back safely from the ME.

Still have the shopping cart open on BH debating on buying myself a Fathers Day present. Can get the 50mm F-16 , a 11.1v 1000mah 3s 65c, a 14.8v 850mah 4s 65C, and a 6amp UBEC that I for my twin edf airliner all for USD $112.00 including shipping. I start asking myself: Self? Do I want to keep collecting these Skyangels or move on to something different? Been following the Lanc on HK but there's problems. I'm tired of building and want to take a break from that for a while and just go out and fly. Don't mind repairing.

Flew the Red Arrows yesterday. Got her trimmed out fairly good but now it's a little sluggish in the roll rate. Maybe too much expo or maybe I can increase the throws a little. Will give her another go this weekend.

Hope you get old reliable back together !

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 06-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #164
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Try giving more up than down on the ailerons ...

Ol'faithful has now a 51mm shoe-horned in .... on a 4S she draws 25A with 7 blade fan, Holding the jet - she feels to have more thrust ... so maybe she has some life left in her.

I had to sand away quite a bit of the inside of the EDF cover to get it in ... screwed it in place then sealed up the gap with tape.

If she flies - then I'll do a better job. The only trouble will be what to do to clean up the wing.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #165
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well the 51mm flew a dream ...... terrible aileron trim after repair - but she FLEW and definite increase in speed ......

Second flight she was OK for about 30 secs and then she just didn't answer ... but motor was still there .... so I'm wondering if my cont'd use of 4S has killed the BEC ?

So I will build a new nose ... fit a UBEC .... swap out ESC .... get all really singing nice ready to be swapped over to the new airframe when it arrives. The 51mm is a definite item.

It is the 51mm unit on Hobby King ... the two mods I made are :

a) I cut off the two mounting beam mouldings at side so it became just a round tube as the 50mm original.
b) The fuselage needs sanding out to let the extra mm or so in. Plus the bottom cover that screws in place needs sanding out. The faces of the cover and fuselage that mate need thin slivers to pad out to close the small gap when bolted up. I used tape to close up as test.

The 51mm has a 7 blade fan in it and it sounds different .... more of a whoosh sound ...
Contrary to some reports - the fan ran nice stock .... the motor is a slim can 4890 RPM/V KV Inrunner Brushless Motor , draws 25A WOT on a 4S Zippy Compact 1500mAh
Not over fast but good enough !

Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #166
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Does anyone know what the Don's Wicked combo weighs compared to the stock EDF unit? If it's heavier, that might help me out with my super tail-heaviness.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #167
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

The 51mm sounds very promising ! Glad to hear your T-45 rules the Latvian skies again. When flying mine the other day, I think I may now have given her too much expo. Pretty sluggish on the roll rate. Flies good though. Had a guy clicking my trims while I was buzzing around the field.

In a weak moment, I went ahead and ordered the F-16 Falcon. Could not resist the deal. Package will arrive the 19th and I'll be travelling so wife will recieve. Yikes !

Even bought a 6amp UBEC for the twin airliner I'm building that has electric retracts and two 30amp esc's but not yet sure how to wire it in yet. Don't have much experience with twins. Figured it was good insurance with all that's going on in this plane.

Mark, what's up with the Gripen ? tail heavy? Can you add a little ballast to the nose, no?

-Hawk
Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #168
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nigel,

The 51mm sounds very promising ! Glad to hear your T-45 rules the Latvian skies again.
She now has new nose and rebuilt ... used Hot Glue to fill in chips / dents in wing etc. The nose I altered the shape a touch to be be more suited to the 4S compact I use ... but still looks ok. I've fitted a UBEC to see if that cures the crash habit she has at moment !! I went to fit the 50A ESC I was given other day .... it buzzes and started to 'smell' !! So that is for the bin !!

When flying mine the other day, I think I may now have given her too much expo. Pretty sluggish on the roll rate. Flies good though. Had a guy clicking my trims while I was buzzing around the field.
Expo shouldn't reduce roll rate - it just softens the centre range of movement. You still get the same max as set by end-point. It may be worth setting differential so that you have more up than down .... but be careful as that reduces lift ....

In a weak moment, I went ahead and ordered the F-16 Falcon. Could not resist the deal. Package will arrive the 19th and I'll be travelling so wife will recieve. Yikes !
I ordered the 64mm T45 yesterday ..... we all have these moments of weakness !!

Even bought a 6amp UBEC for the twin airliner I'm building that has electric retracts and two 30amp esc's but not yet sure how to wire it in yet. Don't have much experience with twins. Figured it was good insurance with all that's going on in this plane.
If using a single battery pack - you create a Y power lead so both ESC's are fed. Or if you can have separate LiPo for each. Now the Rx plugs from the ESC's can be Y lead to the throttle channel but with RED leads removed from plugs. The UBEC receives power from one of the LiPo's and plugs into any spare position on Rx.

Nigel

Old 06-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #169
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Mark ...... If the Gripen was mine .... I'd be inclined to cut of the canards and refit with UP incidence to get that nose up.

As to tail weight .........my T45 carries about 35grams on the tail ... thats about 1.25 oz. So go for it ... only difference is I can carry a 1500 4S Zippy Compact with that. If I was to fly with an 800 3S as factory says - I'd have to remove that weight.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #170
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Terrible wind today but sunny ........... so decided to give the old girl a go ... she went away nice - the 51mm giving that touch extra of thrust to cut through the wind .... round to the left to do a low pass and in the turn she just nosed in .... no control ....... apart from throttle. Exact same as previous ... but this time with UBEC .....

So it's obvious it's a Rx problem. Got home ... opened up Rx and there were white powder areas on the mainboard ........ so maybe was creating a fault ?
It may have come from all the winter flying I did .....

Cleaned up the board ... put back together after checking no breaks in antena leads .... retired to the "maybe bin".....

New Rx on order .....

I have the Rx from my retired PKJ1 (the 222kph reciord holder) .... so that will be going into the rerbuild of 50mm ... which really I should call the 51mm now.

Even in such a short flight - the 51mm 7 blade unit straight out of box, no balancing etc., showed itself as a good unit.

Nigel

Old 06-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #171
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Decided to go for it ..... a balsa beam nose for my T45 50mm .... the nose foam is quite thin once opened up for a decent battery. It's a mod I thought about when it was new - to cut a slot and glue in a 10mm sq beam from just inside inlet to the nose at half height... so that foam was purely cosmetic.

The rebuild now has basically indicated that it's a last repair she'll take and is a wise move.

It makes the battery area better ............

I have a replacement Rx .... so she should be back in air shortly.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #172
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Default T-45 crash

Nigel,
Not a major catastrophe but when I tried giving her an under handed toss today it looped head first into the ground.A little compression. I think I can use the warm towel treatment and bring the foam back to where it should be. Not torn just warped from the compression.
The jolt must have loosened or dislodged the esc wires cause I couldn't restart.
Would like to see a pic of your beam idea.

Bad day all around crashing the Sea Dart on takeoff, crashing my Titan air hog
And then was ready for the Radjet and one of the elevon clevices were broken. Lots of heli guys. Really Starting to get on my nerves. They fly serially and consume the entire field so it takes forever.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #173
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I hate days like that, hawk. I often take an extra plane or two, even on really short flying trips, just to be fairly certain I'll be able to fly something once I get there.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #174
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have my Cessna for my fly anywhere machine ....

We all have bad days when nothing goes right.

T45 Nose beam ....

One either side. The foam is pink closed cell cut to fit .... biggest hurdle is the canopy base is foam and prone to serious out of shape with only slight knock. Getting the cut-out shape right - I often need to add slivers of foam to fill in gaps .... I'm seriously thinking to create a "foam" canopy and forget about clear plastic. Use a sheet balsa base and then hollowed foam shape ...

Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #175
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Default Banana Hobby

Banana takes a bashing but I have to say, the last two JPoweres/Skyangel orders have been impressive. Ordered on 14th , delivered on the 18th

DateTimeLocationActivityJun 18, 201202:59 PMKELLER, TX, USDELIVERED 05:02 AMFORT WORTH, TX, USOUT FOR DELIVERYJun 17, 201210:55 PMFORT WORTH, TX, USARRIVAL SCANJun 15, 201212:53 AMLOS ANGELES, CA, USDEPARTURE SCANJun 14, 201211:56 PMLOS ANGELES, CA, USLOCATION SCAN 11:07 PMLOS ANGELES, CA, USARRIVAL SCAN 10:36 PMBALDWIN PARK, CA, USDEPARTURE SCAN 08:26 PMBALDWIN PARK, CA, USORIGIN SCAN 08:00 PMUSBILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Wow !

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets