Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #176
Brick
small Member

Friends: (0)

solentlife, nice job on the repair ! i quit being so picky lately about the showroom finish on my planes..if i have to repair something cosmetic wise...i get it close......then go FLY !
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #177
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
solentlife, nice job on the repair ! i quit being so picky lately about the showroom finish on my planes..if i have to repair something cosmetic wise...i get it close......then go FLY !
I cannot see the dings and dents in the air !! I prefer the flying ... but with my being only Brit amongst this lot - I have to at least make some effort to make it reasonable.

She gets another outing today ... hope change of Rx cures the crashing !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #178
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Crashed again - exact same again ..... takes of nice, flies for about 30secs and then falls out of sky.

So far I've :

1. Replaced Rx
2. Installed UBEC
3. Changed Fan and motor

so all I can think now is the ESC itself is failing after a short time ... maybe overheating and cutting out ...... but when I collect the model after crash - all works fine.

The same Tx is flying my other models without any trouble at all. So it's not Tx problem.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #179
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Bloody HK still no replacement T45 kits ............. really annoyed !

Have another ESC now - so will rebuild AGAIN !! this time the beams have saved the nose section but she's broke away inside where it tapers to create the dual ducting. Wing has come away - so allows me to get inside nicely to repair all that area. She'll be flying again later today .... IF weather holds of.

I WLL GET HER TO FLY AGAIN !!!!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #180
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sorry to head about all your troubles. Best of luck!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #181
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Sorry to head about all your troubles. Best of luck!

Seems doomed !! When putting EDF unti back in - I thought give it a test first .... fan caught an edge of bench when I ran it ... snapped shaft.
So - ok - I still have the original 50mm unit. Fitted that with packing to hold in enlarged bay.

Went flying .............. 20secs into flight - she died.

Collected model from field. EDF unit had twisted in fuselage, shorted the cables on stock motor.
I straightened unii in fuselage ... test ran it ... fan shed its blades !

Buy it now on Ebay - new inrunner motor 4850kv for the 51mm as shaft not available.

50mm EDF unit from HK .... just want the rotor !!

Nigel

Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #182
Brick
small Member

here is my current lineup..T-45 on the end

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1719.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	160839
Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #183
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Nigel,

I feel your pain. Had a similar day last Sunday. One thing after another. The RC gods were not being very kind. Will work on T-45 tomorrow. Airframe only? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F-1D9827D146F8

Brick,

Very nice lineup ! Dang, they look brand new ! My F-16 arrived yesterday from BH but I have not set it her up yet. iS your the Phase 3? DOdes not look like the Skyangel . Anything I need to know ? CG? aileron/elevon setup? Expo? DR? Launch? I hear the F-16 is a bit faster than the T-45. Same flying charcteristics?

Thanks,

Hawk
Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #184
Brick
small Member

mine is the Phase 3 EF16.....only tailerons on it. gotta do a little mixing on the tail setup...i have a DX7, i just use the Delta wing mix. no main wing ailerons or rudder. the tail wings/fins do all the work.

Skyangel T-45 uses elevator & ailerons....no rudder

they do fly a little different. Phase 3 EF16 is quite a bit faster !...but you can fly it pretty slow and it won't really stall

and yeah they look new if you don't CRASH them !
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #185
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nigel,

I feel your pain. Had a similar day last Sunday. One thing after another. The RC gods were not being very kind. Will work on T-45 tomorrow. Airframe only? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F-1D9827D146F8
..................Hawk
Received my 64mm T45 today ......... and I see the above mini T45 kit is now in stock and they shipped mine today !! So that's on its way to me ... ( I ordered weeks ago but it was backorder ....)

Happy days .

Nigel

Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #186
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Default F-16 set up help

Setting up F-16. Am I correct in assuming the battery goes in the far forward cabin? If that's the case, doesn't leave much room for anything more than a 850mah 3S. Looks like CG is 60mm back from LE break. Put a 1000mah battery in the rear cabin as it fits and the CG seemed okay.

Am reading this wrong?

-Hawk
Old 06-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #187
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

Been wrapping the forward fuse and nose of the T-45 with a very warm, wet towel off and on. Seems like the bent foam is coming back to form, slowly...

Might have to give her the imbedded popsicle stick along fuse treatment but trying to avoid the hastle if I can.

Looking forward to flying this weekend except the temp is right at 100F the next few days. Whew !

-Hawk
Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #188
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nigel,

Been wrapping the forward fuse and nose of the T-45 with a very warm, wet towel off and on. Seems like the bent foam is coming back to form, slowly...

Might have to give her the imbedded popsicle stick along fuse treatment but trying to avoid the hastle if I can.

Looking forward to flying this weekend except the temp is right at 100F the next few days. Whew !

-Hawk
The side beams are good - BUT note that crash damage is then transferred further back to the fuselage joint inside the intakes.

Here's the last rebuild of the Mini T45 .... (yep a massive rebuild that many I think would have 'binned' the model !! )

Here's the 51mm edf unit with a 4850kv inrunner fitted ...

Note the mounting side beams cut away from the shroud ....

Here's the fan in parts and the shaft adaptor to fit rotor ..

Well worth the effort to fit ... it doesn't give a great increase in speed, probably 4 - 5kph ... but the power curve is nicer in flight with excellent throttle response from the higher KV motor and 7 blade rotor.

Unfortunately the inrunner motor snapped it;'s shaft and I wait a replacement from ebay .. (it was my fault it snapped - not motors). The 50mm fan will get a 6 blade rotor replacement from the odd sized 50mm unit from HK. I'll only use the rotor as the HK unit is a 19mm motor fit ... strange size !! The 6 blde will make the stick unti better I reckon ... maybe better amps than the 51mm ?

Nigel

Old 06-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #189
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Wow !

Nigel, I would have "binned-it " only salvaging the electrics. You have a lot of perserverence. The sight of blood must not bother you! Major carnage there.

Nicely done

-Hawk
Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #190
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Foam is literally repairable to ridiculous levels as shown here but I prefer wood actually. Foam compresses and always suffers whatever you do. Wood breaks but you don't have to muck around expanding compressed foam etc. You can cut and splice and have a much better repair at end.

But then again - I'm an old-fart modeller from days well before foam models ! Only foam we saw was packing !

I like foam for it's lightness and variety of quick to air models .... but wood still has an attraction for me.
There is another factor - foam lends itself to the EDF range in it's being formed into frames that are light, good ducting etc. Having built wood DF in past - I can say foam is best in this !!

Nigel

Old 06-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #191
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Off to Wal-Mart tomorrow to re-load on some epoxy. Had one good flight with the T-45. Roll rate is still very sluggish. Had a buddy toss it. All good.

Later, I attempted to hand launch it myself. Not so good. Managed to roll her over on her back and crash. Broke the fuse just in front of the intake. Easy repair but I'm frustrated I'm having trouble hand launching on my own.

Hope to maiden the F-16 tomorrow. Battery compartment is not nearly as deep as the T-45. Tight fit.

-Hawk
Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #192
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Anyone know a source for these models (kits) other than BH and HK? I have a couple that could use some new foam. Or, Nigel, do you offer repair services? LOL!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #193
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Toysonics has them . Btw, BH shipped both my T-45 and F-16 in 3 days.

Last order included 2 lipos(3 &4 S) plus a ubec, all for $ 110.00 including shipping.

- hawk
Old 06-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #194
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Thanks!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #195
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

My new T45 kit is winging it's wqay as we speak ............. the 50mm I've decided will go in it along with a higher rate motor ... the same 4850kv I use in the 51mm.

Why ? I may ressurect the old T45 and fit the 51 in her again ... have a trio of Hawks .... then later may invest another $15 in second 51mm and 4850 motor. That really is an excellent combo in this size.

BUT make sure the ESC is rated at 35A or more ... better fit a 40A that can also take a 4S ...

Nigel

Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #196
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Had a pretty good day. Repaired the fuse on Red Arrows in the AM with 5 min epoxy and that did the trick. Re-taped the nose for crash protection. She's starting to look like a lady who's had too many face lifts!

Since I'm still pretty pathetic when it comes to hand launching, a guy assisted and all went well. I need to get better at this. I also need to adjust the throws to gain a higher roll rate. My F-22 profile foamie pusher prop jet can outperform the T-45 so I want to see some improvement.

Was not comfortable maidening the F-16 today. The down side to this plane is it's very shallow cabin. Not much room for even the stock 850mah battery. Had to carve out the bottom side of the canopy to allow for wires to sit on top of the battery and still be able to close the canopy. It's still bulging. Will probably still need to use packing tape to hold down.

Need to get the throws set properly and radio dialed in.

Look forward to next weekend.

Nigel, sorry to hear to must return to the Middle East on short notice. Seems like you just returned.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #197
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm seriously considering a modification to the 50mm series ... having already tried the wood beam insert. That is marry a wood nose section to the foam main fuselage section.
It would increase battery box size, increase strength of nose, be easier to repair and stay cosmetically nice ..... but leaving majority of model in foam and light.
Why ? Foam has to be substantially thicker than balsa to get the required stiffness.

Dahawk ... launching the T45 .... my way is hold it by fuselage underneath at trailing edge of wing like playing DARTS... at shoulder height ...... Open up motor to full and then as in darts give it a targetted level throw .... if trimmed correct, she should dip and bank slight to left .... slight touch of right aileron and hint of up should see her start to correct and climb away. I do not apply such correction at moment of launch as I am right handed launcher and fly mode 2.

Yes - job is certainly getting in the way of my hobby !! But I have to pay the bills.....

Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #198
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Okay, I'm frustrated. For the life of me, I cannot get any of my small batteries to fit inside the the cabin of the F-16. I have a range from 850-1600 3S and few 4S' compact zippy's. Cram it in and with the wires and I still cannot keep the canopy closed without taping it shut. Am I missing something?

So, I came up with a possible solution. Cut a hole in the floor and suspend a dropped platform made from popsicle sticks. I could pre-fab this then epoxy it in place. Only need about a 10mm drop. Thus, the battery will sit slightly lower and even gain some cooling from the intake. The esc wires can then sit over the top and I could get the canopy to closed.

Seem possible?

-Hawk
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #199
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Sounds like a great idea to me. I say go for it Hawk.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #200
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Fish,

I'll first continue to try stuffing the batt in there and taping shut the canopy. Then on to a mod. Hope to get out there today.

-Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets