Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Monterey10

Club: RCBees
Send a message via Yahoo to Monterey10
Friends: (0)
Question Alpha 450 landing gear

I scrounged up a used Alpha 450. On my 4th landing, the plywood block that holds the rear landing gear fell out. (on a fairly smooth landing I might say) Looking at it, it appears that there was just a tiny amount of CA (?) holding the balsa block into the airframe. Because of this, there was no damage to the block or airframe.

I am inclined to use epoxy on the block back to attach it to the air frame. This would give it more strength. Is this the correct idea, or, shall I use a minimal amount of CA, to allow the landing gear to break away again ?

I suppose the best idea would be to have it rubber mounted so it gave on harder impacts and still held the plane on normal landings. I don't see how I could do this on the bottom of the plane.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Originally Posted by Monterey10 View Post
I scrounged up a used Alpha 450. On my 4th landing, the plywood block that holds the rear landing gear fell out. (on a fairly smooth landing I might say) Looking at it, it appears that there was just a tiny amount of CA (?) holding the balsa block into the airframe. Because of this, there was no damage to the block or airframe.

I am inclined to use epoxy on the block back to attach it to the air frame. This would give it more strength. Is this the correct idea, or, shall I use a minimal amount of CA, to allow the landing gear to break away again ?

I suppose the best idea would be to have it rubber mounted so it gave on harder impacts and still held the plane on normal landings. I don't see how I could do this on the bottom of the plane.

Thanks in advance.
That's exactly what I would do M-10. Not a whole lot, but at least 2 or 3 drops on every mating surface.

The front gear is pretty sturdy on mine, so I believe if something bad enough happens to rip the rear landing gear off- you're going to be doing some pretty serious fuselage repairs any how!

Please Keep us posted on how it goes!

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Use epoxy and some triangle stock to increase the glue area.... That tri stock has a huge glue area on the block and transfers the load to the sides...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

f you can use nylon bolts to hold the gear in place, use them! They shear off easily and save the fuse from damage most every time. I would rather do that and securely glue in the wood block.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners